They got balls in Dallas: Muhammad art exhibit

Atomoa
Guru

Re: They got balls in Dallas: Muhammad art exhibit

Post by Atomoa »

FreeRights wrote:Are you wilfully naive? Do you watch TV? If you don't think Jews and Christians are targeted, in satire, in our mediums, then you're simply refusing to see it.

Yes, of course there is. However it's generally considered rude, in bad taste and is completely unacceptable. The opposite of socially celebrated free speech. This wasn't a stand up comedians act or a sitcom either - context helps.

If I want to hold a Mohammad cartoon drawing contest, then I am and should be well within my rights to do it.

You have the legal right to be a dick, it's true. There is no law against being completely rude to people and their cultures. Just dont cry foul when your day doesn't go as planned.

Humanity works when we all respect eachother. I find "making fun of" and ribbing type "jokes" to not even classify as humor. People only laugh because it's a relief their own insecurities and shortcoming are not in the spotlight. The endgame for this topic for me is that if you are rude, other people are rude back. The entire world benefits when you're not a *bleep*.

Having a "draw the Prophet" contest is really a stupid thing to do. Violence is wrong but so is disrespecting people.
Last edited by Atomoa on May 6th, 2015, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

So is the proper response to something that you don't disagree with, or something that you consider to be "rude," showing up with guns and killing people? Or is the proper response having a conversation about the topic and coming to a mutually agreed upon resolution?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

FreeRights wrote:or something that you consider to be "rude,"

Not consider. It is rude.

This contest was about blatantly insulting a culture to provoke a response, for profit of money.

Or is the proper response having a conversation about the topic and coming to a mutually agreed upon resolution?

Again the idea that this contest was a "forum" for the local Texas Islamic community to "come out and participate" and discuss differences with the entire community is way, way off course.

They were looking for a fight. They got one. I do not agree with violence in any form but those who seek a fight are as guilty as those who give it. Just be nice.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

FreeRights wrote:So is the proper response to something that you don't disagree with, or something that you consider to be "rude," showing up with guns and killing people? Or is the proper response having a conversation about the topic and coming to a mutually agreed upon resolution?

i will say to this , when right wing christian show up at abortion clinics with bombs and guns , do muslims go around holding draw jesus exhibits?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Okay, so you're supportive of responding to a forum through violence.

Thanks for clearing that up.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

lakevixen wrote: i will say to this , when right wing christian show up at abortion clinics with bombs and guns , do muslims go around holding draw jesus exhibits?

I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Abortion clinics is also "offensive" to Christians, but they by no means should be banned.

And Christians wouldn't have an issue with anybody drawing Jesus cartoons.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

one size.JPG
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
JonyDarko
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by JonyDarko »

I fully support free speech, and any person who supports violence against free speech is my enemy.

Return to “World”