'British Schindler' Winton dead at 106

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

'British Schindler' Winton dead at 106

Post by oneh2obabe »

Sir Nicholas Winton, who organised the rescue of 669 children destined for Nazi concentration camps, has died aged 106.

Sir Nicholas, then a stockbroker, arranged for trains to carry Jewish children out of occupied Prague.

The prime minister described him as a "great man" and the chief rabbi praised his "exceptional courage".

He died on the anniversary of the departure of a train in 1939 carrying the largest number of children - 241.

His son-in-law Stephen Watson said he died peacefully in his sleep at Wexham Hospital, Slough.

Sir Nicholas brought the children to Britain, battling bureaucracy at both ends, saving them from almost certain death, and then kept quiet about his exploits for a half-century.

He organised a total of eight trains from Prague, with some other forms of transport also set up from Vienna.

There are now over 6,000 people who owe their existence to Sir Nicholas.

Full article w/video
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-33350880#%22
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 'British Schindler' Winton dead at 106

Post by GordonH »

Here is a person who seen something being done to others, went out and did something about. Not for praise or fan fair or even pat of the back. No because someone needed to do something.

Rest in peace
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Re: 'British Schindler' Winton dead at 106

Post by Bpeep »

I don't think he said a word about his actions.
I believe what he did was exposed when his wife found his writings after his death.
Remarkable.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “World”