Not the same?

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Not the same?

Post by maryjane48 »

now even though i object also to the exhibit also, is this not the same issue with folks drawing cartoons of muslims?

Jewish officials are furious over a video installation at a Polish museum that shows naked men and women playing a game of tag in a gas chamber.

Efraim Zuroff, director of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Jerusalem, called the exhibit at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Krakow "so offensive and so disgusting that we found it necessary to protest."

"Game of Tag," made in 1999 by Polish artist Artur Zmijewski, has for years been accused of violating the dignity of Holocaust victims.

In response to protests, the museum put it behind an enclosure with a warning.

But Zuroff and other Jewish officials say it isn't enough. He said it is "simply incomprehensible" that the video is being shown in Poland, where Nazi Germany killed millions of Jews and non-Jews.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1436 ... -offensive
logicalview
Guru

Re: not the same?

Post by logicalview »

lakevixen wrote:now even though i object also to the exhibit also, is this not the same issue with folks drawing cartoons of muslims?

No. It's not even in the same solar system, let alone the same galaxy.
Not afraid to say "It".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Not the same?

Post by maryjane48 »

well like i said i disagree with the so called art exhibit , and think it is even stranger that a pole would do it , but even still , why is it different ? if it is a offensive display for the jews and i agree it is , why is not what gellar did not same thing? if the muslims that do not want to cut your head off , say it offends them , the cartoons , then i fail to see the big gap ?
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I'm not against the exhibit at all.

Is it distasteful? Perhaps. Should it be banned or removed? Absolutely not.

Should offensive art be "tolerated"? Yes, I believe it should. If you don't like it - whether it's this, or a cartoon of Mohammad - then don't look at it. It's not a particularly complicated subject.

Those who want to ban things that offend them aren't concerned with these things offending them. They can choose to simply ignore it and move on. They are more concerned with other people seeing it, and like them, they should have the right to ignore it, or not.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i agree i would never go see something that offended me
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

FreeRights wrote:I'm not against the exhibit at all.

Is it distasteful? Perhaps. Should it be banned or removed? Absolutely not.

Should offensive art be "tolerated"? Yes, I believe it should. If you don't like it - whether it's this, or a cartoon of Mohammad - then don't look at it. It's not a particularly complicated subject.

Those who want to ban things that offend them aren't concerned with these things offending them. They can choose to simply ignore it and move on. They are more concerned with other people seeing it, and like them, they should have the right to ignore it, or not.

I agree. I was just making the point that this kind of art, designed to offend, is far different than someone drawing a rendition of Mohammad. Before 911, no one even cared about a drawing of Mohammed. That's the part that's so ridiculous.

Case in point:

This South Park episode was in 2001, and no one cared that they drew an image of Mohammed. A few years later, SP tried to do it again, and the network shut it down because they were scared of being Charley Hebdo'd. In 14 years, western society has taken a giant step backwards in terms of freedom of speech. Does no one else see a problem here???
Not afraid to say "It".
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Freedom of speech is your right to say what you want without interference from the government. Even this has limits such as hate speech, threats etc covered by laws.

At no point does "free speech" give you the right to say what you want via a private commercial platform.

Viacom telling Matt and Trey they can not do something as a roll in their employment has absolutely NOTHING to do with the charter/constitutional rights of free speech.

A perfect example is Castanet. Their playground, their rules (with in the confines of the law)

I know you already know this, so I am curious why you purposely muddled the free speech argument.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

only the people that are offended by something can decide if it offends them . no one has the right to decide that for them . with all the trouble the catholics have had with pedo priests it would be easy for humourists to have field day with that issue , but most choose not to because it does not sovle anything . i have not seen any reason why the art exhibit was put together , by the artist, if anyone has a link for that it might shed some light on the why part .

Return to “World”