Migrant crush at 'chunnel'

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Story from Castanet....

Migrants from Africa seeking a better life in Europe and England. England should send a flotilla like Dunkirk to help these poor desperate people reach England. Dunkirk 2, England would be proud!

Migrants rushed the tunnel linking France and England repeatedly for a second night on Wednesday and one man was crushed to death by a truck in the chaos, deepening tensions surrounding the thousands of people camped in this northern French port city.

To get to the tunnel, migrants must cross a busy highway, scale or cut through barricades and fences, and pry open cargo doors or crouch in the freight cars that cradle the tractor-trailers. It's not clear how many have successfully made the 35-minute journey to Britain, but Eurotunnel said it had blocked more than 37,000 attempts since January. Nine people have died trying since June.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#145008

There were wildly conflicting totals of people involved Wednesday, ranging from 150 to as many as 1,200. But French authorities and the company agreed there had been about 2,000 attempts on each of two successive nights. British Home Secretary Theresa May said "a number" of migrants made it through overnight.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Migrant crush at 'chunnel'

Post by averagejoe »

These are 2,000 of 500,000 expected to cross the Mediterranean Sea this summer. Why doesn't the UN step in and help these poor people. Lots have downed this summer trying to get to Europe. There must be better ships to help these migrants?

Half a million refugees gather in Libya to attempt perilous crossing to Europe

Up to half a million refugees are gathering in Libya to attempt the crossing to Europe on the deadly boats that have killed thousands already.

The toll of misery was revealed by senior Royal Navy officers leading Britain’s Mediterranean rescue mission off the Libyan coast. Britain’s amphibious assault ship HMS Bulwark has helped save around 4,000 refugees before they drowned having set sail in unseaworthy boats.

The ship’s 350-strong company of sailors and Royal Marines is bracing itself to rescue a further 3,000. Captain Nick Cooke-Priest said: “Indications are that there are 450,000 to 500,000 migrants in Libya who are waiting at the border.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... -migration
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote: Why doesn't the UN step in and help these poor people. Lots have downed this summer trying to get to Europe. There must be better ships to help these migrants?

So the UN should step it, provide more seaworthy ships to help people to try and enter other countries illegally?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

What is supposed to happen when all these people arrive at someone's border. How are they supposed to feed cloth, medicate, whatever all these people. I know there life is a tragedy but that does not give them the right to go wherever they want illegally. Most countries, in fact I doubt if any are equipped to handle an influx of that many people. It may sound cruel, but it just can't be done.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

2,000 refugees just showed up the other day in Dresden Germany and are camped out in Cities main downtown park. They have been following the rails lines from Greece and Hungary. These people want a better life.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Smurf wrote:What is supposed to happen when all these people arrive at someone's border. How are they supposed to feed cloth, medicate, whatever all these people. I know there life is a tragedy but that does not give them the right to go wherever they want illegally. Most countries, in fact I doubt if any are equipped to handle an influx of that many people. It may sound cruel, but it just can't be done.

I don't think they can send them back as most countries signed a UN Agreement back in 1952 regarding refugee's. I think it says they have to take them once they land on your shore of that country. I'll see if I can find something on it.

Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

averagejoe wrote:I don't think they can send them back as most countries signed a UN Agreement back in 1952 regarding refugee's. I think it says they have to take them once they land on your shore of that country. I'll see if I can find something on it.

All the more reason to turn them around at sea before they reach the shore.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote: Why doesn't the UN step in and help these poor people. Lots have downed this summer trying to get to Europe. There must be better ships to help these migrants?

Dizzy1 wrote:So the UN should step it, provide more seaworthy ships to help people to try and enter other countries illegally?

So you rather have them drown? Many have drowned crossing the Mediterranean Sea in little boats.We have cruise ships that are plying those waters daily and sometimes pick them up and help these refugees. These are desperate people. They want a better way of life and will risk anything to get to Europe.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:
I don't think they can send them back as most countries signed a UN Agreement back in 1952 regarding refugee's. I think it says they have to take them once they land on your shore of that country. I'll see if I can find something on it.

Asylum Acts in Europe have changed over the years. Refugees still have to go through a process to determine if their status grants them entry into the country otherwise they get sent back. A very costly practice at the expense of taxpayers - so the countries have done their part.

Just showing up on their shores, saying "Here I am, give me a better life." isn't enough to be granted entry into the country.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:
So you rather have them drown? Many have drowned crossing the Mediterranean Sea in little boats.We have cruise ships that are plying those waters daily and sometimes pick them up and help these refugees. These are desperate people. They want a better way of life and will risk anything to get to Europe.

And exactly how do you propose the UN do something about controlling the ships/rafts used to transport these people?

The fact is this, most of these refugee's buy their passage through people who have turned this into a business, a pretty shaddy one at that. Others simply build what they can with what they have. Unless you're proposing free passage on a fleet of vessels provided by other countries, the UN will have no control what so ever.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Dizzy1 wrote:Just showing up on their shores, saying "Here I am, give me a better life." isn't enough to be granted entry into the country.

Show me any country that has turned any refugees back except Australia......

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Doing the right thing....washing ashore in Spain.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Migration to Europe.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:Show me any country that has turned any refugees back except Australia......

Italy, before the boat arrived - on numerous occasions.

That doesn't change anything though, the refugees/asylum seekers still go through a process to see if they are allowed legal entry into the country. If they're not accepted, they get sent back. Two completely different things.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:Doing the right thing....washing ashore in Spain.

averagejoe wrote:Migration to Europe.

Have you given any thought to your proposal?
Dizzy1 wrote:And exactly how do you propose the UN do something about controlling the ships/rafts used to transport these people?

Return to “World”