Another School Shooting

whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by whatwhat »

Captain Awesome wrote:I am of the opinion that mass shootings can not be eliminated by introducing new laws (unless you're prepared to outright ban them all), and any talk of new laws is just a useless knee-jerk reaction to yet another tragedy followed by a media frenzy for a few days, followed by politicians scoring brownie points with electorate, and then we find something else to be obsessed about - like new sort of cheese or an old guy who tried para gliding for the very first time.

So if no new laws, then what? Should the United States just let it be and deal with the school shootings?
hail Satan y'all
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Just placing laws in is not enough, it's dealing with 239+ years of culture with whole "Right to bear arms". Tempering that with what is happening each time another shooting happens.
Digging into the real reason these people do this craziness, then trying to repair that problem threw out the entire US.

Fixing this is not going to be as easy as passing a law.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Homicide rate in the USA = 4.7 / 100,000
Homicide rate in the world = 6.1/ 100,000
Homicide rate in Nunavut = 14.8/ 100,000
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Glacier wrote:Homicide rate in the USA = 4.7 / 100,000

Interesting. Who knew Nunavut was the new east L.A..?
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Thing about gun laws is they'll only restrict the sale of new guns. Which would be a problem if you could get a gun owner to sell thier precious.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

whatwhat wrote:So if no new laws, then what? Should the United States just let it be and deal with the school shootings?

Yes. Given the current law and societal framework, there's not much you can do about mass shootings. Unless we're prepared to get rid of firearms in a society completely along with the whole gun culture, little will change. I'd suggest turning down the hype about school shootings, turning down the media frenzy that glorifies mass murders to the point that every neglected kid out there with brains wired upside down wants to experience the same 15 minutes of fame instead of doing what they used to do - quietly hanging himself in a basement because nobody loves him.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:I'd suggest turning down the hype about school shootings, turning down the media frenzy that glorifies mass murders to the point that every neglected kid out there with brains wired upside down wants to experience the same 15 minutes of fame instead of doing what they used to do - quietly hanging himself in a basement because nobody loves him.

Just make sure we don't do anything about isolated and disenfranchised people. Defund more mental health programs.

This guy had a horde of 13 legally obtained weapons - so make sure to blame the media for reporting the "after" pictures.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Atomoa wrote:Defund more mental health programs.

We had no mental programs in 60's and 70's. It must have been a school shooting after another back then. Oh wait, no it wasn't. Your argument is invalid.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:Homicide rate in the USA = 4.7 / 100,000

lol again with more card tricks . how many people die of gun play in us every year compared to nunavit ? how many americans have been killed in us by non muslims since 9/11 compared to by muslims . lets see those numbers mr graph
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

maryjane48 wrote:lol again with more card tricks . how many people die of gun play in us every year compared to nunavit ? how many americans have been killed in us by non muslims since 9/11 compared to by muslims . lets see those numbers mr graph

I recently saw a graph comparing the terrorist deaths to gun deaths actually, but now I can't seem to find it. But I did find these states off of the NCN news website.

Well, here are the numbers, and they're pretty stark:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that 153,144 people were killed by homicide in which firearms were used between 2001 and 2013, the last year that data are available (that number excludes deaths by "legal intervention").

The Global Terrorism Database — which uses a criteria to determine terrorist attacks but also includes acts of violence that are more ambiguous in goal — estimates that 3,046 people in the U.S. died in terrorist or possible terrorist attacks between 2001 and 2014.

The top number doesn't even include suicides and legal police killings (which boost the number to 394,912). Still, just counting homicides alone, 11,780 Americans were killed by guns a year on average, in that time period, while 219 on average were per year killed by terrorism — although of course the 9/11 attacks are the bulk of the deaths.
hail Satan y'all
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Captain Awesome wrote:We had no mental programs in 60's and 70's. It must have been a school shooting after another back then. Oh wait, no it wasn't. Your argument is invalid.

What were the crime rates like in the 60's and 70's?

Your invalidation of my argument is invalid.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Chicago has extremely strict gun laws, in fact it's a gun-free zone.

Yet it's still a murder capital of US.

Yes, strict gun laws work wonders.

Captain Awesome wrote:City of Chicago has the most strict gun regulations in USA. It also has most shootings per capita in US. Gun laws are obviously working. The numbers speak for themselves.

According to the stats, Chicago didn't even make the top 10 ...

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-li ... te-cities/
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighb ... erous2014/

And if reference to Illinois gun control laws ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

... doesn't work until all jurisdictions are on the same page.

Captain Awesome wrote:Well, I'm glad you're admitting that gun laws won't help to address 95% of violence but how are new laws supposed to stop rare shootings at school? What law exactly do you have in mind?

Reducing that first 5% is a step in the right direction - have to start somewhere.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Yes. Given the current law and societal framework, there's not much you can do about mass shootings. Unless we're prepared to get rid of firearms in a society completely along with the whole gun culture, little will change. I'd suggest turning down the hype about school shootings, turning down the media frenzy that glorifies mass murders to the point that every neglected kid out there with brains wired upside down wants to experience the same 15 minutes of fame instead of doing what they used to do - quietly hanging himself in a basement because nobody loves him.

Sorry, more needs to be done to make sure that children don't get gunned during show and tell.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Dizzy1 wrote:Sorry, more needs to be done to make sure that children don't get gunned during show and tell.

Well, I keep asking what laws exactly you have in mind, but so far some of them are already enforced and thus ineffective (not selling firearms to minors), some are just illogical (limiting number of firearms one can own or ammo that can be purchased). California has strict gun laws, yet school shootings happen there just as often as in other states.

So, what type of laws do you have in mind?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

how about background checks , how about making people responsible if they let someone they know who has problems have access to guns . no other country that is not at war has the gunplay the yanks do .

Return to “World”