Turkey shoots down Russian jet

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Turkey shoots down Russian jet

Post by maryjane48 »

Turkish jet shoots down Russian military plane
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turkey-mil ... -1.3332171
Shared via the CBC News Android App

this cant be good . if russia starts going after turkey now , nato is supposed to respond . the problem i have with turkey is they seem to be our buddies one day then enemy the next
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Turkey shoots down Russian jet

Post by Queen K »

Russia has it's share of problems lately.

This is just one of many.

Someone blew up powerlines which take power from Crimea to Russia. Over a million people have been left with no power, in the Winter.

Now Turkey, a EURO wanna be, but a NATO member none the less, has shot down a Russian jet?

Okay, Keep Calm, it's WW3.

Seriously, I am left agog at why Turkey would shoot down a power which is pounding the Hell out of ISIS.

Dear Turkey:

ISIS is causing thousands of refugees to come to your borders. You aren't a rich country. Seriously Turkey, with 60 million of your own, you must stop ISIS and assist with a plan to restore neighbouring countries. You must assist the Kurds with fighting ISIS, not just watch them die for you. Yes, I know you've been a war with Kurd rebels for years, trust me, I've been there and seen what Eastern Turkey really looks like. Turkey, you don't have a leg to stand on. You must find a way to put a halt to this international disaster and NOW? Now you've done what? I wonder how the emergency meeting going on right now is going to be swung in your favour. I wonder what the hell they are going to say on your behalf.

Seriously Turkey,

Get your stuff together.

QK
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

If Turkey is going to get "trigger happy" when diplomatic means would suffice, then it's time to kick Turkey out of NATO.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Merry wrote:If Turkey is going to get "trigger happy" when diplomatic means would suffice, then it's time to kick Turkey out of NATO.

Doubtful that would happen US likes the location next to:
Iran, Iraq, Syria and just across Black Sea from Russia.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

It's concerning to say the least.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

One of the flaws with American policy is that they make deals with half-baked nations like Turkey in hopes of getting a stronger foothold in regions like this.

Then they pull stunts like this, and then what ... what is NATO supposed to do?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

delSol97 wrote:One of the flaws with American policy is that they make deals with half-baked nations like Turkey in hopes of getting a stronger foothold in regions like this.

Turkey was a modern secular nation until recently. Modern Turkey is on its last legs as the Isalmists are taking over. Erdogan makes Putin look like nice puppy. Turkey is obviously lying here because the plane was shot down in Syria, not Turkey.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.theatlantic.com/internationa ... ics/66094/

This link is for those whom do not know the legacy behind Kemel Ataturk, Turkey's greatest leader in secularization of the Turkey, thus dragging a medieval world into the modern century. Seriously, his likeness and photograph is in every office, school, bank, shop, teahouse and home throughout Turkey. He even banned the national hat of Turkey, the fez, because it made their men look clown like, a mockery of modern Europe.

Unfortunately the radicalization of Islamists is dragging Turkey back into the dark ages.

With a population of 60 million of many ethnic backgrounds, this can not be a good thing.

Oh, and Ataturk wasn't perfect. Not by a long shot,think Armenian genocide. Which by the way, the UN declined to officially recognize due to the importance of Turkish strategic bases to the Middle East.

Yup, and then Turkey unilaterally does what? OMIGOD. Read the article carefully regarding the tensions between Ataturk's legacy and "creeping Islamazation." I'd say Islamization has pounced and probably thrown a great many Turks into a frenzy.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-33690060

This really details the importance of Turkey to the USA and other Western nations fighting ISIS.

Resolving the crisis of Turkey's latest diplomatic disaster will not be easy.

The charge from Kurds that the Turkish government colludes with IS may, just may, gain strength after the downing of the Russian jet.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, Turkey did approach NATO regarding this dispute. This could be retaliation or a spat over other issues. Turkey is full of Turkeys if they thought a Russian fighter would have been threatening to them. There are conflicting reports as to what shot the plane down... either from a NATO F-16, or from the ground.

"Turkey summoned Russia's ambassador on Friday to demand that Russia stop bombing Turkmen rebels in Syria, who hold territory just across the border and are openly supported by Turkey. Ambassador Andrei Karlov and his military attache were reportedly told that Turkey would "not be indifferent" to any harm that came to Turkmen civilians. In order to bomb these rebels (who are part of the Free Syrian Army, rather than Russia's proclaimed target, Islamic State), Russian and Syrian aircraft have to fly very close to Turkish airspace. So it is conceivable that Erdogan has simply decided to warn Putin off.

The Turkish version of events is also plausible. Russian jets have been flirting with Turkish airspace ever since Putin began his military intervention in Syria. Turkey may just have decided enough was enough."
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:Turkey was a modern secular nation until recently. Modern Turkey is on its last legs as the Isalmists are taking over. Erdogan makes Putin look like nice puppy. Turkey is obviously lying here because the plane was shot down in Syria, not Turkey.

There are so many beautiful archeological sites in Turkey that have only been excavated in the past two hundred years, like Ephesus. It would be a shame if ISIS-like People took over Turkey and started destroying these sites, and ruining all of the work of thousands of people, as well as denying the world a look at what life was like over 2,000 years ago on this planet.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Well, Turkey is supporting ISIS while the rest of Nato is fighting ISIS. I think someone needs to have a closed door with Turkey and tell them to start toeing the line or they're out. Seems like Turkey is a little bully that picks a fight with the tough guy on the block, assuming that their big brother will protect them.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

... and in a related headline:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/dog-shoots-man/

Dog Shoots Man

... had to.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Sounds like the two pilots ejected but then were killed as they floated to the ground. That actually may have been the best thing to happen to them.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

From the reports I've heard one is shot (might even be suicide), and another one finally evacuated.

But one of the marines from the rescue party was KIA as the rescue helicopter has been damaged during the mission.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “World”