Muslims fired for walking off job over prayer dispute

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Muslims fired for walking off job over prayer dispute

Post by FreeRights »

Dizzy1 wrote:I have and will continue to. I don't discriminate.

Fair enough. I would argue that's a fairly entitled stance to take as well.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

A person, presumably, gets hired knowing what the hours of work are and what the job entails and agrees to be employed as such. MacDonalds, Wendys, BC Tree Fruits, Ford Canada...you walk off the line during 'production' - you get fired.
Seems pretty simple to me - we get hired to WORK and get paid to do a job not practice our religion or follow our personal agendas.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Dizzy1 wrote:

One of the camps I've been to recently during Ramadan, the employers really catered to their needs by adjusting their schedules for the time of reflection and the camp itself made a special menu and extra dinning hours to cater to the. Interestingly is you had one group that was very grateful about it and another that complained it wasn't enough

I guess times are changing and I don't believe it is for the best. Why should an employer, a camp, have to adjust itself? I don't get that one. If someone wants a job you are told the conditions, like it or dislike it, that should be your choice.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I don't believe that they have to adjust themselves - "reasonable" accommodation aside.

As someone else said earlier though, a happy workforce is very important for any industry.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

FreeRights wrote:This is an absolutely shameful response. Nobody is getting special treatment here.
No they didn't but they sure raised a fuss about not getting special treatment.
I'm pretty sure their employer would have went over the work shifts with them and what the job would entail, along with when breaks would be, and so on like most employers do when hiring new people.
I wonder if these employees extended the same courtesy to their new employer in the hiring process about the special times they would need their breaks to be and what special considerations they would need , before accepting the employment and it's terms.
I have a sneaky suspicion they left that part out until after their probation or acceptance into the union.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm wondering now if they might have opted out of the union due to religious beliefs. Just a thought, but that could be why the union didn't get involved. Any way things went exactly the way I feel they should have. This is a stretch but maybe the company saw a way of hiring non union employees and it backfired. We will probably never know "the whole story".
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

if I pulled that same stunt at any of the many different jobs I have had over my life time, they would of told me to f off,and not let the door hit me on the way out,they pulled the muslim card and lost,i am sure they are shocked about that one too
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

dieseluphammerdown wrote:I say keep walking , don't stop at just the job but only stop once you get across the border back in the country you left from.
I get so sick and tired of people who move to other countries and then try and bend and twist things to suit their needs.!
They come here or to the states for a better life and that I can appreciate.
If the USA or Canada is not what you thought then instead of wanting special treatment or privileges simply leave ,back to where you fled from and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.!

it really is that simple,10/10 no need to over think it,, they should of asked about prayer time before they got the job--lol-not-- not after
why did they wait ? they knew exactly what they were doing
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

To me this is much like the crazy lady in the usa that was refusing to hand out marriage certificates to gays as it was against gods will or whatever nonsense she was saying.

Employers should be accommodating to an extent. Maybe modify there schedule times so there breaks are closer to the time needed for prayer.

Or in the case of lady refusing to sign marriage certificates someone else should always be scheduled that is willing to sign the papers and she should just stay quite and mind her own buisness doing other work related tasks.

Employers should do there best to be respectful and accommodating as possible but at end of the day if you can't come up with a reasonable solution. Maybe its time to look for a new job.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by Barney Google » Jan 14th, 2016, 3:00 pm

A person, presumably, gets hired knowing what the hours of work are and what the job entails and agrees to be employed as such. MacDonalds, Wendys, BC Tree Fruits, Ford Canada...you walk off the line during 'production' - you get fired.
Seems pretty simple to me - we get hired to WORK and get paid to do a job not practice our religion or follow our personal agendas.

I agree and I commend the Union for not going to bat for their completely unreasonable demands.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Bit by bit, the long term goal is Islam domination.
They have nothing but time, and are willing to spend centuries doing so, but it's happening much faster than they coulda dreamed.

It's going to be a very different world in the future.
Bit.
By.
Bit.

Sharia law, coming to your city.

Suckers.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

I agree and I commend the Union for not going to bat for their completely unreasonable demands.

Where does it say the Teamsters are not backing the members?
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Barney Google wrote:A person, presumably, gets hired knowing what the hours of work are and what the job entails and agrees to be employed as such. MacDonalds, Wendys, BC Tree Fruits, Ford Canada...you walk off the line during 'production' - you get fired.

Maybe in your old dark days. Thank god we have unions now. The article stated that "changes" were made to the prayer practice. Was the "change" made during labor negotiations or did some big wig decide to do what ever they wanted while the present contract is in effect? Nothing in the article says the union isn't going to file a grievance and try to have an arbitrator decide who's right/wrong. They may be fired now but I doubt this is over.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by GrooveTunes » less than a minute ago

Where does it say the Teamsters are not backing the members?

I drew that conclusion based on past experience with employee-union relations and the fact that the company had been negotiating with the employees for some while before identifying the "absent for three day" guideline. Employees do not negotiate such situations on their own and there is no indication that the decision was arbitrary.

You could be right but I doubt that even the Union would not try to push religious matters that far.
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

I drew that conclusion based on past experience with employee-union relations and the fact that the company had been negotiating with the employees for some while before identifying the "absent for three day" guideline. Employees do not negotiate such situations on their own and there is no indication that the decision was arbitrary. You could be right but I think that even the Union would not try to push religious matters that far.

I now see the article was updated since posted...maybe there was a comment from the union in the original article.

Return to “World”