Denmark Just Broke The World Record

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Denmark Just Broke The World Record

Post by I Think »

For the second year in a row, Denmark is the most wind-powered country in world history, Danish officials announced this weekend.

The Scandinavian country produced a whopping 42 percent of its electricity from wind power in 2015, the highest proportion ever achieved by a country, according to Denmark’s utility company, Energinet.

And for the first time ever last year, the country was able to turn off its large central power stations for an entire day and provide all electricity from wind turbines and other renewable energy sources.

This is the second year in a row that Denmark has set the record for wind energy; in 2014 it generated 39 percent of its electricity from the turbines.

The increase is partly due to an exceptionally windy year, the company conceded, but the jump is consistent with year-over-year increases since 2005, when Denmark was only producing about 19 percent of its energy from wind power.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/den ... 3e9862847a

Too bad wind turbines dont work huh? {sark off}
We're lost but we're making good time.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Denmark Just Broke The World Record

Post by Captain Awesome »

Let's not forget that Denmark is rather uniquely positioned to benefit from wind energy. Not every country is able to replicate their success. Not to mention that Denmark is a tiny country close in size to Lower Mainland.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Although the size of the country is somewhat irrelevant....over 5 million people in 43000sqkm and they aren't exactly living in undeveloped huts. Being a highly developed country in a cold weather area, it is still pretty amazing.

And I agree with a previous posters sarcasm on how wind power doesn't work......referring to another thread where this is the oft repeated claim. It can work very well in certain areas, as can solar. Different circumstances require different solutions.
You and 71 others Like this post
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

When the wind aint blowin' here, it is blowin' over there.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by I Think » Yesterday, 8:25 pm

Too bad wind turbines dont work huh? {sark off}

I do not recall anyone saying that wind turbines do not work.

I do recall many people saying that wind turbines were more expensive than hydro electricity but a viable option where hydro electricity is not an option. I wonder what their cost per kw is over a ten year period ??

The winds in the North Sea area blow pretty hard and constant. I wonder what they do on days that there is no wind ??

I applaud them for their efforts.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I Think wrote:Too bad wind turbines dont work huh? {sark off}

almost anything can work as an energy source if you are willing to spend the money. I don't believe anyone here said anything about wind power not "working", just that it's horribly inefficient and stupidly expensive, so much so that you really have to be naive to believe in it, and if you are a politician, have absolutely no conscience about bilking taxpayers and rate-payers. Denmark is a big wind power country, and it's no coincidence that they also have the highest rates and most expensive electricity in the world.

What I don't get is that so many posters here who claim to be on the side of the poor and downtrodden in our society support energy policies that directly punish these people and keep them poor and downtrodden. Why is that? Why wouldn't you support the cheapest energy solutions possible, as long as they are non-polluting? Like LNG and nuclear power? Both sources are much cheaper than wind, and have the added advantage of not wiping out entire species of rare birds and bats. Wind power is just never ever going to be viable, as long as we have nuclear around as an option.
Not afraid to say "It".
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I do not recall anyone saying that wind turbines do not work.

Try reading through "windfail" for example.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

I Think wrote:I do not recall anyone saying that wind turbines do not work.

Wind turbines "work", and have "worked" for over 100 years. It's a pretty simple concept - the prop spins around and cranks a generator. Every kid learns this in school. Before hydro was hooked up to rural properties a lot of people on farms used wind power. But they stopped using it when hydro was hooked up, because wind power sucks. It's intermittent and horribly inefficient, and enormously expensive.

The same reason I don't advocate using wind power for energy is the same reason I don't advocate using whale oil or burning up pandas to produce energy - we have much better, cheaper and smarter options available to us so why would we use wind/pandas/whale oil? It makes no sense.
Not afraid to say "It".
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

by I Think » 4 minutes ago

I interpreted what they said as being that wind generated electricity, at the moment, is neither economical nor feasible enough as a source of power for BC or Canada because we have cheaper and far more certain ways of generating electricity from hydro.
As you say, since places like California and countries on the North Sea are using wind power to the extent that they are, it is not possible to say that "wind generated power" does not work.

Note the information posted by logicalview as to cost.

Return to “World”