Apple refuses to decrypt terrorist iPhone

davis123
Board Meister

Re: Apple refuses to decrypt terrorist iPhone

Post by davis123 »

Omnitheo wrote:I believe the FBI were fully capable of unlocking it on their own at any time. They wanted to however make it easier for themselves, and thus to set a precedent for tech companies to be forced to comply to their demands for unobstructed access.

This isn't the first time either, They have attempted this multiple times in the past, and they will keep trying every time they think they found a new smoking gun of a reason.

Kudos to the tech companies who believe that individuals continue to have a right to their personal privacy without government having unfettered access to the most intimate details of their lives.

Absolutely agree! I understand the uproar and the emotional aspect of such a horrible crime like terrorism and wanting Apple to hand over the information, but then where does that stop? And how does anybody trust entering their information anywhere, such as banking, email accounts, etc. going forward? People, you don't want tech companies just handing out your information like that to government agencies! That is the entire reason you agree to privacy policies and terms and conditions when you create accounts, to protect YOU.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well dizzy1- unlike some people i have nothing to hide they can tap my phone, etc,etc all they want, if ease dropping helps govt catch the bad guys,i am all for it.

i am sure i am not on the govts radar.
people come on here saying the govt should be doing a better job catching these guys, and at the same time put up road blocks at every corner and *bleep* about rights to privary
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

davis123 wrote:I think Apple acted accordingly and did the right thing not handing over the information willingly, they are a business, and their business relies on the customer believing their private information is safe..it isn't up to Apple to provide customer information to outside sources, they would be violating their own privacy policies and terms and conditions.

I work in technology, we had information the police wanted related to a user account, of course we didn't just hand that information over to the police, they had to jump through the legal hoops in order for us to surrender that information to them. The legal situation wasn't terrorism, but it was an incredibly huge news story you have all likely heard about.

Pretty sure nobody is surprised that the FBI was able to get the phone information, Apple has incredibly smart IT folks, but there are probably 17 year old kids out there that have some pretty wicked hacking skills where given the time they could likely figure it out as well, like someone said earlier, if you want information safe..don't share it on any electronic device or social media.

so you did not hand over the info to the police-- even if it meant that a murderer, rapist or pedophile was out there running free ,only because you would not hand over simple informantion your company had ???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

davis123 wrote:

I work in technology, we had information the police wanted related to a user account, of course we didn't just hand that information over to the police, they had to jump through the legal hoops in order for us to surrender that information to them

The monumental difference is that your company willingly handed over the information in compliance with the Legal Court Order issued to the Police by a Canadian Court of competent jurisdiction. IMO your company acted responsibly and in the best interests of public expectations (privacy vs court order). As an ex police officer who has executed umpteen dozen search warrants I fully agree with your response to the police requirement for information regardless of what the police case was about.

Unfortunately, unlike your company, Apple decided to refuse to carry out the Legal Order issued by the Court and thus chose NOT to carry out their duty to do what they could to protect society from terrorists and terrorist acts. That, in my opinion, is doing an act that they had to have known would protect terrorists. Reprehensible.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:I believe the FBI were fully capable of unlocking it on their own at any time. They wanted to however make it easier for themselves, and thus to set a precedent for tech companies to be forced to comply to their demands for unobstructed access.

This isn't the first time either, They have attempted this multiple times in the past, and they will keep trying every time they think they found a new smoking gun of a reason.

Kudos to the tech companies who believe that individuals continue to have a right to their personal privacy without government having unfettered access to the most intimate details of their lives.

Exactly
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

the truth wrote:well dizzy1- unlike some people i have nothing to hide they can tap my phone, etc,etc all they want, if ease dropping helps govt catch the bad guys,i am all for it.

i am sure i am not on the govts radar.
people come on here saying the govt should be doing a better job catching these guys, and at the same time put up road blocks at every corner and *bleep* about rights to privary

If people continue to *bleep* and complain about rights to privacy and people such as yourself keep yelling that you have nothing to do, then the people you want caught have won and you've lost.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I don't like it one bit but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that privacy is going to be a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years. It's inevitable. This is good and bad for extremists, the government, the military and the rest of us. We live in interesting times.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Dizzy1 wrote: If people continue to *bleep* and complain about rights to privacy and people such as yourself keep yelling that you have nothing to do, then the people you want caught have won and you've lost.

That's a great point, and I do believe you're right. But still, to quote Stephen King from The Dark Tower series, "the world has moved on" and these philosophical debates perhaps refer to a luxury we’ve already lost. We have come to a place where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and the one (to quote Spock). Yes, we can call this unfortunate new reality a victory of sorts for the terrorists, but in this new world I will call every plot thwarted to blow up some airliner or subway train and resultant loss of innocent life a victory for the good guys. Principles are good, until innocent people start dying for them.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JLives wrote:I don't like it one bit but I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that privacy is going to be a thing of the past within the next 5-10 years. It's inevitable. This is good and bad for extremists, the government, the military and the rest of us. We live in interesting times.

Those within the US have extra issues that was brought in under GWB that being the Patriot Act.

Privacy vs Governments right to know
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Ka-El wrote:That's a great point, and I do believe you're right. But still, to quote Stephen King from The Dark Tower series, "the world has moved on" and these philosophical debates perhaps refer to a luxury we’ve already lost. We have come to a place where the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, and the one (to quote Spock). Yes, we can call this unfortunate new reality a victory of sorts for the terrorists, but in this new world I will call every plot thwarted to blow up some airliner or subway train and resultant loss of innocent life a victory for the good guys. Principles are good, until innocent people start dying for them.

Which I totally understand it - but I think we need to find a balance between the two. So the question needs to be asked (which I've asked in similar threads) - at what point does it end? There are many pieces of written and filmed science fiction out there that demonstrate some pretty dark scenarios of taking away ones privacy and rights away in the name of security.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

GordonH wrote:
Those within the US have extra issues that was brought in under GWB that being the Patriot Act.

Technology doesn't have borders. This is a worldwide issue, not an American one. Canadians are being data mined just as much.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Those within the US have extra issues that was brought in under GWB that being the Patriot Act.

JLives wrote:Technology doesn't have borders. This is a worldwide issue, not an American one. Canadians are being data mined just as much.

All thanks to the very paranoid NSA

Added: as they listen in on Chancellor Angela Merkel...... Oops they stop that already.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

the truth wrote:so you did not hand over the info to the police-- even if it meant that a murderer, rapist or pedophile was out there running free ,only because you would not hand over simple informantion your company had ???

It would be incredibly silly to provide any and all personal information at will to anybody ago requests it. Failure to follow the proper channels signals the lack of importance of that information.

A court order or s warrant, on the other hand, is a legitimate avenue of retrieving information that you did not acknowledge.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Do you sext anyone? Got pics? It's uh, important to national security. At least the NSA thought so on multiple occasions.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Actually privacy hasn't changed much in decades. When I was young we had public phone lines where everyone heard your
phone ring and if they wanted they could pick up and listen. It was fun when I was little and someone didn't catch me, until I learned there was usually nothing to hear. But you did learn to be careful what you said. Sort of like you have to be careful what you put out on the net, in your phone, on your computer as it is then out there for anyone interested enough to get it. Actually it might be what makes me much less worried about security that many others because that phone saved my life when I was a teenager alone at home and seriously injured myself. Although I couldn't talk properly the local operator recognized my voice and sent someone to our farm. I suppose it is all in the way you look at things but I feel when the court orders a company to do something especially in the name of national security they should do it, ASAP.

EDIT TO ADD:

I have never expected privacy when I make anything public or put it anywhere or do anything anywhere that is open to the public in any way. If you can't keep something secret/private why would you expect anyone else to.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

Return to “World”