Nuclear war

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Nuclear war

Post by occasional thoughts »

Remember the good old days. I grew up in South Burnaby. Air raid siren tests in case of attack. Russia was the pariah in those days. The D.E.W. line and was the U.S. usurping our sovereignty. The Doomsday Clock. We all thought that was all behind us a few years ago. Wrong.

We are faced with a number of future combatants who don't get it and their recently developed nuclear weapons. For some reason, North Korea comes to mind first, but menacing China isn't far behind. And Iran of course. And probably ISIS. The great thing is if North Korea ever did attempt a nuclear attack, they'd get one shot and the rest of the armed world would blow them, regime and people, off the face of the earth. But that earth wouldn't be much worth living in anymore, with the annihilation and destruction and all the radiation covering the earth.

I'm getting on in my life, I probably won't live to see what I believe is inevitable. But I've brought three beautiful children into the world and I'm so sad that they'll be facing what I believe is an inevitable annihilating war in their lifetimes.

I don't see any hope at this point with North Korea and Iran; the latter hates Jews and Israel too much; the former is just crazy. China, maybe, if they got carried away by materialism and obtained Taiwan might obtain some sanity in the end.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Nuclear war

Post by Even Steven »

Stop watching news.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by HoboJo »

Remember the good old days. I grew up in South Burnaby. Air raid siren tests in case of attack. Russia was the pariah in those days. The D.E.W. line and was the U.S. usurping our sovereignty. The Doomsday Clock.

I was alive in the sixties. This part of your quote is something I feel. (Not south Burnaby, East Van)

The US cruise missile tests through sovereign soil. We said NO. We did retain and make money selling CANDU reactors over that time.

The pink hair, mohawks, and the sex pistols et al on the stereo.

Please do not be afraid.

Not of North Korea:
(their nukes are somewhere between imaginary and 'self' destructive with no current deployment capabilities)

Not of Iran:
(they now allow infinite searches/regulations on their nuclear programs..that was the deal)

Not ISIS:
(they are goat *bleep* *bleep*)

Not Russia:
(..sexy Putin Joke here OR really, they don't hate you)

Not anyone!
(Except me 'cuase typing is work, I may have your address)
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Harper just about resurrected the DEW line a few years ago. My partner's company had a prelim contract for part of the job and he was sent to do some courses to prepare for the work. As far as I know now, the project has been kiboshed.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

Vice

This New Film Puts You in the Center of a Nuclear Blast

By Arthur Holland Michel

April 9, 2016

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-bomb ... ar-weapons

The fear of nuclear annihilation in 2016 is perfectly rational. There are over 15,000 nuclear weapons scattered around the globe, many of which are controlled by people who might not have their heads screwed on quite right. Earlier this year, North Korea detonated a hydrogen bomb, its fourth nuclear test to date. And just a few days ago, as world leaders met in Washington, DC for a nuclear summit, the Hermit Kingdom fired off a long-range missile that might someday be capable of handing nuclear deliverance to a target thousands of miles away. Iran's nuclear program has plateaued following last year's accord, yet it is a fragile truce, and atomic aspirations rarely die so easily. Elsewhere, extremist groups like ISIS are working diligently to obtain radioactive material for a dirty bomb, a prospect that Obama described last week as "the most immediate and extreme threat to global security." Even in the US, the people tasked with guarding these civilization-erasers don't always inspire confidence. In March, 14 US service members in a unit responsible for maintaining a fleet of 150 Minuteman nuclear missiles were placed under investigation for allegedly doing cocaine and other drugs between shifts. And over the years there have been a number of nuclear mishaps that resulted in lost bombs and near-detonation.

And yet, when was the last time you really worried about "the bomb"? When was the last time you did something about it? . . .

The last time I did something about it was when I laughed at that sign.

Website.

Return to “World”