Why the U.K. Needs to Leave the E.U.

goatboy
Guru

Re: Why the U.K. Needs to Leave the E.U.

Post by goatboy »

Atomoa wrote:You don't believe in democracy?

The poor outnumbered the rich and suddenly you are suggesting intelligence requirement veto's of elections? I guess the UK can go back to only giving property owners the vote and we can regress society back to the feudal system.

We are seeing the same thing here for the TPP. The poor and lower classes know they are going to get screwed by it but the business class wants it like candy on Christmas morning. The business class is vastly outnumbered.

Of course I believe in democracy. The British Government was democratically elected, so let them govern. A democracy does not mean major political and economic decision should be left up to the population to make. If this were the case, anarchy would rein.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

bob vernon wrote:The Britons who voted to leave somehow think that they'll still have the complete access to European markets for their goods. They'll be in for a big shock when the layoffs start at British factories and when the British government starts putting on tariffs for imported goods. Surprisingly, the people with the most to lose by leaving Euro were the ones who voted for it. This is a big win for the uneducated, much like the Trump supporters in the US.

The UK imports more than it exports so the EU won't have much choice.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

sooperphreek wrote:the middle aged are living with the reality of the trickle down economics lie their parents were fed. they are not prospering. they are struggling to not flounder. there is no upward mobility. they are more cynical of what mass media feeds society today.

as far as the young they are more impressionable and willing to listen to the fear mongering to continue the status quo. they are more easily manipulated to be sold on the idea that they will benefit from a stay vote and will be crucified if it is a leave. and in 30 years they will see the same lies that the middle aged have in their generation and times.

Or........ the young have not been indoctrinated to the "whoa is me" mindset and don't blame everything on someone else.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Even Steven wrote:http://data.whicdn.com/images/23473904/original.jpg

Except in this case "educated" is being replaced with "People who are wealthy are invested in a system up to the *bleep* that hurts the majority of people in society but is good for that particular class individually".

The cartoon should be a rich factory owner saying that he is smart and educated and that the workers should jump into the "lower wages and less benefits" pool of hot lava because the factory owners knows what is good for everyone because he's rich and therefore that means he knows best. After all, there are no foolish rich people in the world.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

goatboy wrote:Of course I believe in democracy. The British Government was democratically elected, so let them govern. A democracy does not mean major political and economic decision should be left up to the population to make. If this were the case, anarchy would rein.

im curious what your thoughts are on electoral reform in canada then. does Trudeau have a majority mandate to do his job and change it?
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

There is a sentiment out there in the world that is easily discounted. "We would rather be free and poor than rich and subjugated". I paraphrase that from the words of an Afghan fighter interviewed in a documentary I watched.

The sovereignty issue is a big deal with many folks. Plus if you look at the demographics of the voters in the previously posted stats and discussions, you will see that those who have the lowest education and least wealth pushed the "Leave" over the hump.

Globalization and "free" trade generally works for those who have have higher education and/or money (often inherited). It does not work for those for whom academic education is not their forte, or not affordable. The EU is a big force in globalization and "free" trade. Too many times we see "average" folks getting screwed by multinational corporations, and "our" governments do nothing citing the terms of a "free" trade deal.

It is also difficult to argue that globalization and "free" trade have not been wage suppressors - with the exception of those with higher educations (and even in that case, it is starting to fray). That means that for many citizens of "western" countries, they have nothing to lose by leaving such agreements. Looking south of the border, Trump has done very well by essentially bashing globalization and "free" trade and what he characterizes as unfettered immigration. If you are stuck in a low wage job, unemployed, or under employed and facing a future with few opportunities, everything to gain and nothing to lose.

That notion gets reinforced by the regional disparities in voting in the UK. The London area wanted to stay in, but the rural and industrial areas wanted out.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Omnitheo wrote:Lol what's a Pound?
Sank to lowest levels in 30 years. Largest single day drop for a national economy in history.

Scotland can now be free to leave and rejoin the EU and switch to the Euro. We'll just keep seeing the pound slide further into irrelevancy.

1 Pound Sterling = US 1.38, Euro 1.23, Yen 140.66, Yuan 9.13, Canadian 1.78

See what happens in next few days I guess.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

goatboy wrote:Or........ the young have not been indoctrinated to the "whoa is me" mindset and don't blame everything on someone else.

that isnt the mindset of middle aged people at all. the sky is falling mantra usually comes from the rich over educated politicians and business elite. there were all kinds of dire warnings before the vote stirring hysteria and fear. and now the day of the vote mark carney and the politicians in the UK and around the world have said there were contingencies for an exit vote. they dont sound scared or worried at all. its just - ok we adapt to what happened. which is what the middle aged have done for their whole lifetime.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The interesting and most positive thing I see from the brexit vote is the message sent politically. I have to think that this vote will have an impact on the TPP ratification, and perhaps will result in the TPP going in the dustbin (where in my opinion it belongs).
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Atomoa wrote:
The cartoon should be a rich factory owner saying that he is smart and educated and that the workers should jump into the "lower wages and less benefits" pool of hot lava because the factory owners knows what is good for everyone because he's rich and therefore that means he knows best. After all, there are no foolish rich people in the world.

Is it the factory owners job to know what is good for everyone? Why is his wealth a bad thing? I wonder what the percentage of wealthy people that are the product of their own hard work and willingness to take a risk vs inherited wealth? My guess is it's a lot higher than you think. And if this is the case, doesn't it mean that these poor downtrodden hoards you champion the cause of could do the same thing? Richard Branson, Jimmy Pattison and Warren Buffett all started out from modest beginnings. What made them different form the others? They were willing to leave the safety of a bi weekly paycheck and take the risk to chart their own destiny. Is it easy? Of course not, but I bet none of them blamed "the man" for keeping them down.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the only problem with your take goat is that is not what happened . the exit vote was run lke trumps xeonophobic campain style . it was about keeping muslims out . simple as that . the i teresting question know will irealand guard the borders again from english 8oprression and will they let scotland seperate ?
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Your bias suits you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

sooperphreek wrote:the middle aged are living with the reality of the trickle down economics lie their parents were fed. they are not prospering. they are struggling to not flounder. there is no upward mobility. they are more cynical of what mass media feeds society today.

as far as the young they are more impressionable and willing to listen to the fear mongering to continue the status quo. they are more easily manipulated to be sold on the idea that they will benefit from a stay vote and will be crucified if it is a leave. and in 30 years they will see the same lies that the middle aged have in their generation and times.

100% CORRECT :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bottom line the british govt was out of touch with there people, just like usa govt is out of touch with there people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

It is a shame that those with the most to lose have had their futures dictated by those with the least to lose. Intriguing times ahead. I'm sure Putin is watching with much interest.

Return to “World”