DNA - Opening The World

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

DNA - Opening The World

Post by Barney Google »

I thought this was extremely interesting and maybe it just might open people's minds a bit and considering exploring their DNA...who they really are verses who they think they are.

http://www.momondo.ca/letsopenourworld/ ... blog-promo

If you have the time to watch some of the video clips you might begin to think a bit differently about who you are...
after all it appears we are ALL cousins...

PLUS...another reason to explore the World
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: DNA - Opening The World

Post by maryjane48 »

great post and reaffirmes evolution
Rosemary1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rosemary1 »

While interesting I personally don't care about mine or anyone's else's DNA. The only thing that matters is how people on this earth today behave and treat each other. That is what defines who they really are.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

You are very correct Rosemary...
The only thing that matters is how people on this earth today behave and treat each other. That is what defines who they really are.

While I really don't care about others DNA - I do care about mine.
I care what makes up who I am and how history plays into that...I care about my relatives and the lives they've lead that involved having me be where I am in life today and those with similar DNA/genealogy where they are today.
What I found interesting were the clips where the participants said they 'hated' or 'didn't like' or 'were superior to' others and the reactions when they found out that the 'others' were part of their genealogy - their cousins.
It's pretty hard to hate or be superior to 'others' when the 'others' are part of who we are.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

If you wanted to test your DNA for curiosity sake do you just go with one of those mainstream companies like Ancestry.ca or is there better ones?
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I've had a couple of buddies use Ancestry.ca and they were happy. I suppose it would determine what you are after...comprehensive health issues/concerns, heritage, etc.. I'd do some research before spending any money figure out what is wanted and then get the biggest bang for your buck...most start around $200 and often include test kits sent to you.
- Unknown
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

I see that Alex Haley's 'Roots" has been remade. It's hard to imagine that it could be as good as the first, but the continuing interest underscores the fascination that people have for their family history.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Barney Google wrote:I've had a couple of buddies use Ancestry.ca and they were happy. I suppose it would determine what you are after...comprehensive health issues/concerns, heritage, etc.. I'd do some research before spending any money figure out what is wanted and then get the biggest bang for your buck...most start around $200 and often include test kits sent to you.

Helping you fill in your family tree is Ancestry's strongest feature, and they only give you a little information about your ethnicity.

Before you buy, you might want to know that some DNA sites will let you upload the raw data you paid other companies for, and others don't. For example, Family Tree DNA charges a one-time fee to upload your Ancestry or 23andMe results and find out more about your ethnicity than you would on Ancestry alone.

There's also a free site called GedMatch that takes the raw data you've already paid the DNA companies for, and uses a lot of different processes to check ethnicity. You probably want to know which companies' DNA data you can use there, too.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “World”