Electric cars/Tesla/Solar power

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tesla set to be number 1

Post by GordonH »

Okay, I still prefer the idea of hydrogen though
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Jlabute wrote:To get 1000mi on a single charge is possible, it just requires a much larger battery which makes the vehicle much more expensive. This vehicle won't pay off Tesla's debt. Electric motors definitely have a lot of torque. We will see what Tesla can build, seeing Tesla is having financial and production problems with the Model 3.

Also - bigger battery = much more CO2 emissions required to build it. But of course, that part doesn't matter.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Lol yes im sure the way to make cars faster in by making them heavier [icon_lol2.gif]
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Lithium batteries are relatively light compared to different battery chemistry of lower energy density, but definitely way more expensive. So the roadster will give up a fair bit of room to house the larger battery. Tesla has not developed any better battery tech we know of and are still using lithium. The Roadster is fast because of the high torque electric motors.

“The battery is 200-kWh, twice as much as on other Tesla. It’s good for 620 miles or 1,000 kilometers of driving (depending on how you drive). Power goes to three motors, two in back and one in front, making this an all-wheel-drive car.”

Apparently it is a 620mi range, not 1000mi (1000km), and the battery is 200kwh, so about 3x the average size and capacity. If you want one, you have to pay $250,000 now, and wait until 2020. Yup, it sure is fast.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jlabute wrote:Lithium batteries are relatively light compared to different battery chemistry of lower energy density, but definitely way more expensive. So the roadster will give up a fair bit of room to house the larger battery. Tesla has not developed any better battery tech we know of and are still using lithium. The Roadster is fast because of the high torque electric motors.

“The battery is 200-kWh, twice as much as on other Tesla. It’s good for 620 miles or 1,000 kilometers of driving (depending on how you drive). Power goes to three motors, two in back and one in front, making this an all-wheel-drive car.”

Apparently it is a 620mi range, not 1000mi (1000km), and the battery is 200kwh, so about 3x the average size and capacity. If you want one, you have to pay $250,000 now, and wait until 2020. Yup, it sure is fast.

Wonder in the winter (Canada) would heating the car lower the distant due power consumption. If so by about how much
I'm not interested about the speed but more about the distance
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I wonder if it will beat a fast Porsche on the Nordschleife (Nurburgring) since I believe current Teslas take about 10 minutes, where about 20 years ago a Porsche 911 could do it in about 8 and current 911's can do the lap significantly under 7 minutes.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/autos/update-6-new-200000-tesla-roadster-speeds-in-front-of-electric-big-rig-truck

620 miles on single charge for the new roadster and walmart says,they want to test teslas new semi coming out :130:

Tesla can’t even come close to their promised production of the current products they have now - and Musk keeps focusing is money and energy on new toys instead of focusing on the customers he’s already *bleep* off :130:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, Canadian winters would put a little more demand on the battery. Not only does the Tesla have a thermal management system for the battery, which takes power in the winter to keep the battery warm and in the summer to keep the battery cooler, creature comforts of winter heating or summer cooling take power too... and I would just take a guess like 4000W of heating or cooling perhaps, which may end up being a few percent per hour of a 200kwh battery at full capacity. All other Tesla’s have a much smaller battery.
I heard that the temperature management system is buggy and Tesla is looking to replace it.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-battery-researcher-told-us-about-the-tesla-1820558723

“So that big battery pack with all of its cells could be a key enabler to get more power to those motors, which means better acceleration and a higher top speed. Of course, weight is also a factor, and on that front, Viswanathan told me his team at Carnegie Mellon uses 240 watt-hour per kilogram as the assumption for specific energy on the most modern battery cells. Considering the new Roadster’s battery pack capacity claim of 200 kWh, this translates to a battery weight of 833 kg, or roughly 1,800 pounds.” - as I said, this would be a big battery enabling a lot of horsepower. If one had a gas tank holding 1800 pounds of fuel, you could still go 5x further if not more. 1/2 of the two seater car is just battery.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Regarding heating electric cars in the winter.... I remember when I was a little gaffer,(60's) mom had a 64 beetle with the gas powered heater under the dash... worked well I seem to remember. You'd think the technology would be there to do something similar? But I suppose the object is to stay away from fossil fuels...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Million plus electric cars

Post by Ken7 »

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/06/20/ ... e-driving/

Tesla car battery production releases as much CO2 as 8 years of gasoline driving, so what is the benefit of electric driven cars if this is fact?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Are. You implying you dont know why car exaust is bad ? :smt045
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Jlabute wrote:Tesla has already shipped 200,000 vehicles which is another reason why Tesla would lose their tax credit.
In response, Tesla shares have dipped enormously because of the tax credit expiration, AND they can’t make the Model 3 to get them out the door. Stocks slumped and financial sites are saying Tesla is approaching a terminal decline. I admit, the Tesla is a sexy car, but ya got to be able to make them at an affordable cost to consumers. Now they will be $7500 more. Battery material shortages hurts the whole industry. They definitely need new and better battery tech. Hopefully Tesla can hang in. You still need oil though to make and drive a Tesla... I’d like to see something like in the movie I Robot. That’d be cooooler. Tesla has lots of work to do on their self-driving tech as well. Something kind of funny, I ask my wife to try out CurrentTaxi and she’s too afraid.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4122890-tesla-approaches-terminal-decline

Solar City too is slumped over a desk from an aneurysm.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/10/18/solarcity-teslas-solar-boondoggle.aspx

It took Ford Motor Company 114 years to get where they are today, and they also had problems along the way.

Whereas Tesla is now 14 years old.
Give them time, and they will get past these hiccups.

As for self driving cars. They still aren't perfect, and may never be. Then again there will never be a perfect human driver.
I love this story. https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloombe ... ith-robots
More or less, a self driving taxi was in an accident because it didn't know what to do when a commercial truck stopped and tried backing down an alley.
In the cars defense, the truck driver should have never backed up without knowing it was clear behind.
However most humans would have known something was wrong and reacted in some way. Probably avoiding the accident.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

maryjane48 wrote:Are. You implying you dont know why car exaust is bad ? :smt045

Industry exhaust is the same and each Tesla battery manufactured gives you 8 years worth of exhaust. So, if you need a new battery after 8 years anyways, it defeats the purpose... especially if your electricity sources are non-green, then you’re more of a polluter than someone with a gas car.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Jlabute wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:Are. You implying you dont know why car exaust is bad ? :smt045

Industry exhaust is the same and each Tesla battery manufactured gives you 8 years worth of exhaust. So, if you need a new battery after 8 years anyways, it defeats the purpose... especially if your electricity sources are non-green, then you’re more of a polluter than someone with a gas car.

Thanks I didn't know just how to explain it to her...just kidding!

Return to “World”