Electric cars/Tesla/Solar power

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Tesla set to be number1

Post by GordonH »

Once the charge lenght (meaning km's driven) is comparable to my current vehicle, then I may consider purchasing electric vehicle. Not until then
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GordonH wrote:Once the charge lenght (meaning km's driven) is comparable to my current vehicle, then I may consider purchasing electric vehicle. Not until then

no one is asking you to . these car makers are well aware of what it will take for mass switch over . but it is coming . the good thing is a gas car will rise in value as collector items .
Ub2
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Ub2 »

Uh oh!

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/30/12072408/tesla-autopilot-car-crash-death-autonomous-model-s
Tesla driver killed in crash with Autopilot active, NHTSA investigating

A Tesla Model S with the Autopilot system activated was involved in a fatal crash, the first known fatality in a Tesla where Autopilot was active. The company revealed the crash in a blog post posted today and says it informed the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA) of the incident, which is now investigating.

The accident occurred on a divided highway in northern Florida when a tractor trailer drove across the highway perpendicular to the Model S. Neither the driver — who Tesla notes is ultimately responsible for the vehicle’s actions, even with Autopilot on — nor the car noticed the big rig or the trailer "against a brightly lit sky" and brakes were not applied.

Because of the high ride-height of the trailer, as well as its positioning across the road, the Model S passed under the trailer and the first impact was between the windshield and the trailer. Tesla writes that if the car had impacted the front or rear of the trailer, even at high speed, the car’s safety systems "would likely have prevented serious injury as it has in numerous other similar incidents."

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla-falls-as-feds-investigate-fatal-crash-of-model-s-in-self-driving-mode-2016-06-30

Tesla falls as feds investigate fatal crash of Model S in self-driving mode

Tesla Motors Inc. TSLA, +0.99% stock fell in the extended session Thursday after reporting that a Model S car in self-driving mode was involved in a fatal crash. Tesla said in a blog post that the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating Tesla's autopilot feature after a Model S using the autonomous-driving feature was involved in a deadly crash in Florida. "It is important to emphasize that the NHTSA action is simply a preliminary evaluation to determine whether the system worked according to expectations," the company said. Tesla limited autonomous features in January after several videos showed drivers performing unsafe acts while their car was in autopilot mode, but has also increased the number of cars that have some autonomous features. Tesla shares fell about 3% in late trading Thursday.

. . . maybe hold off on that Tessie

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

why ? gm sold faulty cars that they knew would kill people and it cost the millions . toyota sold faulty cars that again killed many people . dodge sold faulty jeeps and knew about the problem . and yet wheres your cry to not buy these cars ?

jets use autopilot and crash . wheres your cry to not use a jet ?

nice try though
looking4one
Übergod

Re: Tesla set to be number 1

Post by looking4one »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic/people don't have to provide links/proof.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

click google and search car recalls and damage awards .
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

How many cars does tesla have on the road? AND How many years have they been there? Compare those numbers to major, long standing auto manufacturers and find the ratio. *removed*
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jun 30th, 2016, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Once again, people don't have to provide links/proof.
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

the facts are ford gm dodge volkswagon toyota sold defective cars that killed lots of people . tesla sold one car that for somereason, the person driving it did zero to avoid the crash .

the gas pedal didnt stick like toyatas did . the airbag didnt explode like another gas car manufacturer sold . the gas tank didnt explode like certain chryslers did . a person put the car on autopilot , semi crossed the line and for somereason the driver did nothing .
Last edited by ferri on Jun 30th, 2016, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic remark removed
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Elon Musk is going to run the show/rule the world/lead the NWO.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glitches are to be expected with the whole self driving vehicles, yes life's maybe will be lost until whole system is perfected.
My condolences to his Family & Friends
http://www.castanet.net/news/World/1696 ... -kills-man
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:the facts are ford gm dodge volkswagon toyota sold defective cars that killed lots of people . tesla sold one car that for somereason, the person driving it did zero to avoid the crash .

the gas pedal didnt stick like toyatas did . the airbag didnt explode like another gas car manufacturer sold . the gas tank didnt explode like certain chryslers did . a person put the car on autopilot , semi crossed the line and for somereason the driver did nothing .

Wait till they start ramping up production. The more you have to build, quality control suffers in order to keep costs down.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

A digital video disc player was found in the Tesla car that was on autopilot when it crashed and killed the driver in Florida in May, Florida Highway Patrol officials said on Friday.

Meanwhile, the driver of the Tesla car that crashed into a tractor-trailer had the vehicle on autopilot and was watching a "Harry Potter" video, Paul Weekley, a Tampa lawyer for the truck driver, said on Friday.

"There was a portable DVD player in the vehicle," said Sergeant Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol in a telephone interview.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla ... SKCN0ZH4VO
looking4one
Übergod

Post by looking4one »

Well...Tesla has become #1 for something anyways.

#1 for;
Idiot owners.
Idiot drivers.
Idiots watch videos, while driving.

The storey would be much better if he was in the back seat with a 17 year old hooker, or mixing himself a Tequila Sunrise. Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead (at 60), watching a "Harry Potter" movie in any circumstance where someone might see me.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I wouldn't say that Tesla has more idiot owners or drivers than any other brand.

I am actually courious about the driverless system on the cars though. They are saying that you Must keep both hands on the steering wheel along with several other safety features, or it will start to slow down. Yet it does the steering. Does this mean that the car disables your steering contrôlée for the corners. Or does it over power you?

Plus does it rely on the GPS to navigate?
I hope not since I've had 2 different GPS's give me lousy directions.
tabanner

Post by tabanner »

At the risk of being labelled an "idiot", I test drove and ordered a Model X Ludicrous last month after a lot of research and also test driving the Model S Ludicrous last December. The auto pilot works incredibly well relying on GPS and sensors all around the car. I did not have my hands on the steering wheel at all and had no concerns over the SUV driving itself. I drove it over the Granville Street bridge, through traffic, went around corners and it stopped and accelerated perfectly when required. It was awesome. What the vehicle will do is if it is having trouble reading the lines on the road etc., it alerts you to take control. If you do not take control, the car slows down and will safely move itself to the side of the road. That I did not test, but that is what is supposed to happen should you fall asleep at the wheel or have some other sort of problem like a medical emergency.

While I was never excited about electric cars prior to Tesla, I have a lot of confidence in the company as a whole, what they are doing, and how they are doing it. I do a fair amount of driving yet will easily be able to go a couple days between charges even though I imagine I will plug the vehicle in every night out of habit.
Last edited by tabanner on Jul 1st, 2016, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “World”