Electric cars/Tesla/Solar power

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Electric cars/Tesla/Solar power

Post by Dizzy1 »

JLives wrote:
I'm not even 40 and in my lifetime have experienced an analog childhood and digital adulthood. Technology is moving at breakneck speed. I'm not worried about delivery but amazed by advancement.

But all these new "features" have been around for years in other vehicles. I had wipers that detect how much rain there is and adjust their speed accordingly in my 1999 Passat. Other than an increase in performance on the power plant, there's simply nothing new to see here.

BTW, I'm over 40 and the advancement in technology frightens me ...

:biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dizzy1 wrote:But all these new "features" have been around for years in other vehicles. I had wipers that detect how much rain there is and adjust their speed accordingly in my 1999 Passat. Other than an increase in performance on the power plant, there's simply nothing new to see here.

BTW, I'm over 40 and the advancement in technology frightens me ...

:biggrin:

My point is technology is in it's infancy. We've been around as humans for a few hundred thousand years. The technological innovation is not even a blip. It's brand new and is evolving rapidly. We have no clue where the innovations will take us at this point.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JLives wrote:
My point is technology is in it's infancy. We've been around as humans for a few hundred thousand years. The technological innovation is not even a blip. It's brand new and is evolving rapidly. We have no clue where the innovations will take us at this point.

Technology has been around since man made the first hammer, its nothing new - it just evolves. I get the point you're trying to make, but really, Tesla is not exactly revolutionary in the automotive industry, other than evolving the EV power plant - the rest is pure showmanship and Musk is good at that, just like Jobs was.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

When was fire invented?

Tesla has a big surprise coming when liquid lithium cathodes soon become obsolete. They invested too much in their gigafactories to just obsolete them. Car companies that waited will invest in the newest battery tech. No one will want a battery that holds 1/2 the charge.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Jlabute wrote:They all get government cash, same as Tesla and SpaceX. The big three though are able to make cars, Tesla is unable to make cars. In fact Tesla makes batteries better than cars and is actually known as a battery company.

Tesla paid there govt money back and didnt give the ceo bonuses . Your heros the big 3 did. Plus how many recalls does big three issue every year with death as a result of the faulty parts ?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

maryjane48 wrote:
Jlabute wrote:They all get government cash, same as Tesla and SpaceX. The big three though are able to make cars, Tesla is unable to make cars. In fact Tesla makes batteries better than cars and is actually known as a battery company.

Tesla paid there govt money back and didnt give the ceo bonuses . Your heros the big 3 did. Plus how many recalls does big three issue every year with death as a result of the faulty parts ?

U must have missed the link that says 90 percent of tesla cars need to go to secondaty fix it stations before delivery. They have a lot of defects
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a14511730/hundreds-of-model-3s-are-rolling-out-of-the-tesla-factory/?src=socialflowFBPOP

Things are rolling :130:

Not really ...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12/27/ ... reak-year/
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just like wind, solar, fusion and batteries, EV's have a long way to go to become mainstream. They are improving but there has to be some major break throughs in technology and costs for them to move into the big time.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dizzy1 wrote:Technology has been around since man made the first hammer, its nothing new - it just evolves. I get the point you're trying to make, but really, Tesla is not exactly revolutionary in the automotive industry, other than evolving the EV power plant - the rest is pure showmanship and Musk is good at that, just like Jobs was.

Hammers are tools. I suppose it's still technology by definition. So I'll clarify it to computer technology. We've gone from horses to Teslas in about 130 years. That's nothing.

Showmanship shouldn't be underrated. Technology the masses don't want to use is, well useless. I have no idea where Musk's visions will take society but I'm glad we have big thinkers like him making an effort.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Im not a stocks guy. Tesla seems like a brilliant stock to bet against in 2018. They have had almost ten years to figure out how to build a car. Cant seem to produce more than a handful of them a month.
No reason they r valued higher than dodge or ford
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

JLives wrote:Hammers are tools. I suppose it's still technology by definition. So I'll clarify it to computer technology.

And tools are technology. As I said, I understand the point you are trying to make.
JLives wrote:We've gone from horses to Teslas in about 130 years. That's nothing.

What do Tesla's give us that hasn't already been in use in other vehicles? Nothing. EVs have been in production since the 19th century. All the fancy little gidgets found in a Tesla have been available in other manufactures vehicles for years. Are they improving some aspects of technology, yes - but nothing is ground breaking in their technology. Photography, moving pictures, first flight, going into space - those are ground breaking achievements - building an EV that can go a bit farther than a previous EV is nothing.

JLives wrote:Showmanship shouldn't be underrated.

It most certainly should, especially if the consumers are watching the acrobats instead of paying attention to the actual product.
JLives wrote:Technology the masses don't want to use is, well useless. I have no idea where Musk's visions will take society but I'm glad we have big thinkers like him making an effort.

This is the problem with showmanship - people are blinded by the big top and shining lights. People talk about Musk as if he's the second coming of Christ while ignoring the rest of society and other technological innovations.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

maryjane48 wrote:http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a14511730/hundreds-of-model-3s-are-rolling-out-of-the-tesla-factory/?src=socialflowFBPOP

Copy and pasted from the above noted link, 1st paragraph.

but despite receiving approximately half a million pre-orders the company has so far only delivered a few hundred units.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

From the link:
Tesla’s critical production ramp-up for its entry-level Model 3 sedan appears to be falling further behind, according to a new report that says the company will produce only 5,000 of the vehicles in the fourth quarter.

Now, boutique investment bank KeyBanc Capital Markets is predicting fourth-quarter Model 3 production will amount to a paltry one-third of the bank’s earlier prediction of 15,000 vehicles produced in the period, Reuters reported Wednesday.

In the third quarter, Tesla had fallen far short of its Model 3 production target, making just 260 instead of a planned 1,500, citing “production bottlenecks.”

In November, Musk admitted that it would likely take three extra months for the firm to start producing 5,000 Model 3s per week. The company would hit that level late in the first quarter, rather than in December, Musk said.

Ugly numbers for Model 3 deliveries could start squeezing off the cash flow for Tesla, Autotrader analyst Michelle Krebs told USA Today, in an article published Wednesday.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Return to “World”