Gator at Disney Park Drags 2 Year Old into Lagoon

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Gator at Disney Park Drags 2 Year Old into Lagoon

Post by mexi cali »

Gordon touched on it when he points out that they see really well from under water. That's how they feed. If you're not form there, your mind doesn't spend a lot of time on being eaten by anything, especially inside a Disney park.

While most Floridians may be aware of the Ally threat, these folks weren't form there.

How do you carry this with you the rest of your life?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how about just common sence, to much to ask ???
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

That poor, poor family. Breaks my heart. Was it too much trouble to have a sign that says "Warning - Aligators --- keep back from the water" ?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

OMG how awful :*(
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

kgcayenne wrote:That poor, poor family. Breaks my heart. Was it too much trouble to have a sign that says "Warning - Aligators --- keep back from the water" ?

I'm thinking because it is Disney, "Happiest Place on Earth" I'd say yes. Disney tries very hard to protect it's image, and Alligator signs would not be consistent with that image.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I don't think anyone is at fault. It's a horrible tragedy. The Dad was holding the kids hand as he was grabbed so it wasn't lack of supervision. I do think it would be a very simple, and necessary, thing to replace the no swimming signs to specifically mention alligators.

Yes, our parks have wildlife such as bears and cougars but our parks are pristine wilderness. Now if you go to Canada's Wonderland park I'm sure it's highly unlikely you will run into a cougar or bear. It's easy to see how it would not be on the parents mind. Maybe they thought the Disney staff combed the lagoon for gators to remove on a regular basis since it was a high end resort, if they considered it all. What a thing to have to live with for the rest of your life.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i don't know. i'm not sure a sign would do any good. it would take more than one or two. that's a huge lagoon.

lagoon.jpg
― Albert Einstein
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

They already have no swimming signs. Just replace the existing signs with ones indicating the presence of alligators.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

the truth wrote:...no sign needed for thid guy just COMMON SENCE- people are getting dummy all the time

Indeed...

I can't imagine what that family is going through right now.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I know a number of equine breeding farms in the area...even pretty secure fencing will not keep gators out if they want to come in. They can dig...AND surprisingly CLIMB. It is not unusual for one or two foals to be taken down and carried off (and eaten) by gators every year.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

JLives wrote:They already have no swimming signs. Just replace the existing signs with ones indicating the presence of alligators.

maybe just "Stay the bleep out of the water" with a picture of why.
― Albert Einstein
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Barney Google wrote:I know a number of equine breeding farms in the area...even pretty secure fencing will not keep gators out if they want to come in. They can dig...AND surprisingly CLIMB. It is not unusual for one or two foals to be taken down and carried off (and eaten) by gators every year.

Hence why they remain virtually unchanged since dinosaurs roamed the Earth. They are the perfect killing machines.
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Absolutely awful. As someone mentioned further up, they have found the body:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alliga ... y-florida/

Drowned, not eaten - although I'm sure that's of little consolation to the parents.

This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard:

"We're going to make certain that we have the alligator that was involved, and that we remove it from the lake," he said.

First of all - how will they know which one it was? Secondly - so this is the only 'bad' alligator in the lagoon and therefore it will be removed? The other ones can stay?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Nooby wrote:This has got to be one of the stupidest things I've heard:

First of all - how will they know which one it was? Secondly - so this is the only 'bad' alligator in the lagoon and therefore it will be removed? The other ones can stay?

Alligators are somewhat like bears. Once they find a source of food, they'll keep coming back. For that reason, just like the bears, the gator who committed this act needs to be put down to prevent further incidents from happening. Others didn't do anything, no need to kill them all just because one attacked a kid.

Conservations officer can actually figure out which gator it is with some luck.

Return to “World”