Sharia law

FreeRights
Guru

Re: Sharia law

Post by FreeRights »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
How naïve are you exactly?

I was very recently in France for work and I did travel to two "no go" zones. What they are, are places with a predominantly Muslim population that's not dissimilar to what Kingsway is to Burnaby and Vancouver. They were most absolutely not governed by Sharia Law when I was there.

I think the naivety you mentioned is pointed in the wrong direction. My advice to you is either visit or speak to someone who actually has before pretending to know any better than someone else who hasn't.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

FreeRights, what would be really helpful is if you would describe what you saw in those "no go" zones. Google items paint a picture of neighbourhoods without standard civic authority presence . . . police, fire, municipal services. You could embellish or whitewash what you saw, but hopefully if put into the right overall context you could enlighten us about the actuality as you saw it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 22nd, 2016, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: stop it NOW
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

GB, be nice! The no-go zones have everything to do with where Sharia is creeping in in France at least. No civil law being practised, Sharia creeps in on the street so to speak as substitute. That the research at least.
Last edited by occasional thoughts on Jul 22nd, 2016, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

occasional thoughts wrote:FreeRights, what would be really helpful is if you would describe what you saw in those "no go" zones. Google items paint a picture of neighbourhoods without standard civic authority presence . . . police, fire, municipal services. You could embellish or whitewash what you saw, but hopefully if put into the right overall context you could enlighten us about the actuality as you saw it.

What I saw was neighborhoods that appeared to be lower income and many convenience stores, cafes, and some abandoned, boarded up buildings.

What I also saw where non-Muslim looking people working and travelling through the same area.

What I did not see was any stonings, beheadings, and the few people I did speak to were polite.

Take it for what it's worth. For everything website that you provide that claims that there are areas in Europe governed by Sharia law, I can find one that debunks it. Having actually been there, I find it fascinating that you'd accuse me of whitewashing it simply because it doesn't match what you seem to depict these places as.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

FreeRights wrote:
I think the naivety you mentioned is pointed in the wrong direction.

And I think your naivety is showing again in droves.

My advice to you is either visit or speak to someone who actually has before pretending to know any better than someone else who hasn't.

And I will take your advice and ignore it, as it's obvious where your bias is.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

FreeRights wrote:Having actually been there, I find it fascinating that you'd accuse me of whitewashing it simply because it doesn't match what you seem to depict these places as.

Since you are an anonymous internet guy, who knows if you have actually been there. I find it fascinating though that you expect us to just take your word for it.

Here's a quiz. Where was this picture taken? (Note the girls are segregated - because they are menstruating):

a) Afghanistan
b) Saudi Arabia
c) Yemen
d) Pakistan
e) Valley Park middle school in Toronto

If you answered anything but "e" you are horribly naïve and should open your eyes.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Schools have various dress codes and a variety of other rules. But laws are something else.

To me, this is a huge problem: people misrepresent and exaggerate what is currently happening, so other people argue "that is not what's actually happening", and if there is something wrong with what is actually happening, that gets lost in the argument and never gets addressed.

Worse, after enough exaggeration and pushback, a lot of people get fed up with feeling manipulated and quit paying attention.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Since you are an anonymous internet guy, who knows if you have actually been there. I find it fascinating though that you expect us to just take your word for it.

Here's a quiz. Where was this picture taken? (Note the girls are segregated - because they are menstruating):

a) Afghanistan
b) Saudi Arabia
c) Yemen
d) Pakistan
e) Valley Park middle school in Toronto

If you answered anything but "e" you are horribly naïve and should open your eyes.

Does the photo depict Sharia law, or religious customs that are clearly not illegal?

Also, it doesn't really matter to me whether you believe my recount at all. I offered what I saw, and I'm absolutely an anonymous internet guy. But feel free to continue to believe other anonymous internet accounts because they align with your point of view.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

rustled wrote:Schools have various dress codes and a variety of other rules. But laws are something else.

To me, this is a huge problem: people misrepresent and exaggerate what is currently happening, so other people argue "that is not what's actually happening", and if there is something wrong with what is actually happening, that gets lost in the argument and never gets addressed.

Worse, after enough exaggeration and pushback, a lot of people get fed up with feeling manipulated and quit paying attention.

This is correct. There are many places in the world where Muslim's live by their religious customs. Nobody disputes this. But it's absolutely not the same as the allegation that they have somehow installed Sharia Law in western European countries.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

you seem to forget green that free stated longtime ago that they served in afganistan . you saying our vets are liars ?
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

I feel maligned by FreeRights. I did not say that he/she/it embellished or whitewashed anything. What I said and/or meant was that with the extreme partisanship that often blows up on certain topics, that he/she/it could embellish or whitewash the account, and I at least wouldn't be the wiser, but that I hoped he/she/it would not.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

maryjane48 wrote:you seem to forget green that free stated longtime ago that they served in afganistan . you saying our vets are liars ?

Yes that's exactly the conclusion that any normal person would draw from my statement. There is no other interpretation. A guy on an internet forum said that he served in Afghanistan, and is now saying that he went to France. If you don't just wholesale buy this and agree with it, then "all vets are liars". That's it.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Sharia Law as it was proposed for implementation in Canada would be available to consenting parties. Basically, two consenting adults would approach a religious tribunal of their choosing to settle low-level matters instead of going through traditional justice system.

It does have some benefits:
- Settles small arguments in a matter acceptable to both parties
- Removes burden from traditional justice system.
- Other religious groups would have their tribunals as well

Return to “World”