Wal-Mart to Cut 7,000 Back-Office Store Jobs

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

More middle class workers out of a job...guess they can still get a job at a coffee shop or a liquor store?

Positions to be eliminated often belong to some of the highest paid hourly workers in stores.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to cut thousands of back office positions around the country, a sign that the retailer’s effort to make its cavernous stores more efficient is also changing the face of its workforce.

The country’s largest private employer is eliminating about 7,000 U.S. store accounting and invoicing positions over the next several months, jobs mostly held by long-term employees, often some of the highest paid hourly workers in stores. The retailer wants those employees working with shoppers, not in backrooms, say company executives. Centralizing or automating much of those tasks is more efficient, they say.

The jobs are coveted as a rare desk job in retail. “You are not running around the store on your feet all day,” and receive decent pay, says a Wal-Mart store accounting employee who earns about $13 an hour, or $27,000 a year. “Everybody wants to get in there. The jobs never open up,” says this person, who has worked at the store for nine years.

Wall Street Journal article...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-to ... 1472743429
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Re: Wal-Mart to Cut 7,000 Back-Office Store Jobs

Post by averagejoe »

With Major retail stores closing...they are usually the anchor store of a mall.

All you have to do is look at Detroit and Buffalo to see Democrat's business strategy for the future America.....

American malls are dying faster than you think — and it's about to get even worse

America's most iconic retailers are closing stores, and it's left many speculating about the future of shopping malls.

Macy's recently announced it is closing 100 stores, following similar announcements from Sears, Gap, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

The decline in traffic has been stunning: In 2010, there were 35 million visits to malls, according to the real-estate research firm Cushman and Wakefield. By 2013, there were 17 million visits — a 50% decline.

http://www.businessinsider.com/are-mall ... ing-2016-8
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Those mall visit numbers seem light. 35m visits in 2010 would only be 10% of the US population visiting a mall once that year. Maybe state numbers?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

You are not running around the store on your feet all day,” and receive decent pay, says a Wal-Mart store accounting employee who earns about $13 an hour, or $27,000 a year. “Everybody wants to get in there. The jobs never open up,” says this person, who has worked at the store for nine years.

everybody wants to get in there?? for 27K per year LOL. no wonder we have so many lazy canadians on welfare
none of them will work for $13PH unlike americans
I can make 3K just curbing a few vehicles in a month and the best is its tax free
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:With Major retail stores closing...they are usually the anchor store of a mall.

All you have to do is look at Detroit and Buffalo to see Democrat's business strategy for the future America.....

American malls are dying faster than you think — and it's about to get even worse

America's most iconic retailers are closing stores, and it's left many speculating about the future of shopping malls.

Macy's recently announced it is closing 100 stores, following similar announcements from Sears, Gap, and Abercrombie & Fitch.

The decline in traffic has been stunning: In 2010, there were 35 million visits to malls, according to the real-estate research firm Cushman and Wakefield. By 2013, there were 17 million visits — a 50% decline.

http://www.businessinsider.com/are-mall ... ing-2016-8

The most important parts of the article you failed to highlight ...

"The shift in how people are shopping means the future of retail fulfillment is no longer just about more stores or shopping centers," Cushman and Wakefield analysts wrote, adding that stores would need to invest in online options.

mericans are increasingly choosing to spend on technology and experiences like vacations, leaving less money for apparel. This has led to a spike in discount retailers like TJ Maxx. When people do shop at traditional full-price retailers, they increasingly prefer to do so online.

People are still spending, its just changing - just as it always has. From the old general stores to department stores, from department stores to boutique stores, from boutique stores to big box stores - nothing new.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dizzy1 wrote:People are still spending, its just changing - just as it always has. From the old general stores to department stores, from department stores to boutique stores, from boutique stores to big box stores - nothing new.

Not to mention online shopping which is taking a chunk out of all of those types of stores. I buy from Amazon all the time.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Perhaps the 7000 will be offered a retraining program.
Prison guard.

Time will tell what is REALLY going on.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

This what happens when Malls lose there anchor tenant....

I would guess that like many sjw's on Castanet say...they go jobs somewhere else like coffee shops, liquor stores or finger nail shops, security guards guarding empty malls...or maybe the record amount of people on food stamps in America...

From the article...sjw's on Castanet try to convince you that they walk right into another job. But this is the reality of what will happen first to workers losing their job's...10 years to recover!

While there has been speculation that shuttered department stores will be replaced by new businesses like e-commerce warehouses, medical clinics, and gyms, Davidowitz says it will take a decade for these spaces to be filled.

"The jobs that will be lost will take 10 years to replace," he said. "In the mean time you have people who are out of work, which will hurt the middle class even more."

There's a terrifying mall 'blight' threatening communities across America!

One in six American malls are expected to disappear in the next decade. That's scary news for many communities.

Visits to malls declined by 50% between 2010 and 2013, according to real estate research firm Cushman & Wakefield. Analysts expect upcoming data will show an even steeper drop in mall traffic.

Mall closures could have terrifying implications for communities, Howard Davidowitz, chairman of Davidowitz & Associates, a national retail-consulting and investment-banking firm, told Business Insider.

About 15% of malls will disappear in the next decade, according to a study by Green Street Advisors. That means hundreds of malls will close down, potentially affecting thousands and thousands of jobs.

http://www.businessinsider.com/what-wil ... ica-2016-9

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Hmmmmm, lots of malls loose their anchor tenant - only to be replaced with another. Kmart to Zellars back to Kmart back to Zellars to Target to Canadian Tire as an example in the case of the VGM. Orchard Park sure hasn't lost any business since the loss of Safeway or Walmart.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Graham Adder
Guru

Post by Graham Adder »

Dizzy1 wrote:Orchard Park sure hasn't lost any business since the loss of Safeway or Walmart.

Because teenagers can hang out there for endless hours without being asked to leave for loitering.
That brings their parents into the mall.
And creeps.

I can't stand going to malls. Never have liked it. Haven't gone into Orchard Park anymore than twice in the past four years I'm sure. It doesn't bother me a bit to see malls dying off. It gives me a bit of a satisfied smile actually.

I'd LOVE to see things get back to real people running real stores for real people. Aside from those real interactions with them old school home hardware types, I'm totally Ok with online shopping. If we're gonna play in that pool, I wanna head right for the deep end.

The world is ever changing.
I could not care less about the economy. I have to be honest.
I'm all for getting poor.
I'm down with change on a big scale, so in my eyes, shut it all down. Give it a few months and we'll be rid of the majority of the problem and some of them will have been tasty.

Fire up the Bar-B.
We're having our neighbors for dinner!
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Um walmart doesnt pay middleclass wage in the world . More like people on foodstamps lost a job
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Just another sign that the retail industry is changing. This isn't a sign that the economy sucks.

While bricks-and-mortar retailers may struggle a bit, Amazon hired over 70,000 people in 2015 and now employs almost 250,000 people. And that doesn't include the 100,000 seasonal workers they bring on for the holiday season.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

maryjane48 wrote:Um walmart doesnt pay middleclass wage in the world . More like people on foodstamps lost a job

Um, neither do any of the other "anchor" stores. Don't see what your point is.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

40,000 Students In Limbo, 8,000 Employees Fired As ITT Suddenly Shuts Down

The long-running tragic saga of ITT Education Services, which was established nearly 50 ago and operates the ITT Technical Institutes for-profit college chain, finally came to a end this morning with both a bang and a whimper, when it announced that it is shutting down effective immediately, leaving the fate of 40,000 students currently enrolled in limbo, and some 8,000 workers without a job.

The company said the closure is due to an investigation and sanctions by the U.S. Department of Education.

"It is with profound regret that we must report that ITT Educational Services, Inc. will discontinue academic operations at all of its ITT Technical Institutes permanently after approximately 50 years of continuous service," the company stated Tuesday. "Effective today, the company has eliminated the positions of the overwhelming majority of our more than 8,000 employees."

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-09-0 ... shuts-down

Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Now that the richest people on the planet have eliminated 7000 employees from their payroll, I assume the remaining employees will get better pay or prices will come down a little bit?

After all, they are some of the richest people on the planet. That's 315 million dollars/year @ the average salary of 45,000/year that WalMart just absorbed - not including the cost of keeping a employee, benefits, taxes, training ect. 315 million dollars less being spent in local economies and instead sitting in the Waltons bank account.

It's one thing to become efficient. It's another thing to horde the value created by the efficiency.

Last edited by Atomoa on Sep 6th, 2016, 11:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller

Return to “World”