A question

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

A question

Post by maryjane48 »

why do you suppose that humans ended up speaking lots of different languages? what i dont understand is in some cases countries or areas that are beside each other still end up almost completely different in speech.

for example canada and usa it can be said both speak english , but the reality is the way canadians express in english is not the same as the americans , and in europe france england germany holland all basically speak different versions of same base speech . what about that is a advantage for humans in evolution to have so many different languages?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: A question

Post by TylerM4 »

Because language constantly evolves and changes.

Back in the old days we were so separated that languages evolved in separate directions (we all spoke british-english back in the day). Nowadays, the exact opposite is happening - languages are combining slowly with shared words/terms. For example: The word "googling" is now a common verb amongst many languages.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

makes sense
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

The English language came from German after the Anglo-Saxons invaded the eastern part of England. That's how England got its name.

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Pat-Taporter
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Pat-Taporter »

The advantage is that eway ontedway otay eepkay ecretsay omfray ourya arentspay. Translate that using the real-time app.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

haha . yea i know joe but what intrigues me is how different chines is from say inuit
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

It all started with the Tower of Babel.

Return to “World”