Trump protesters

fvkasm2x
Guru

Trump protesters

Post by fvkasm2x »

So I just got back from a trip to New York. Naturally went by the Trump Tower because I mean... why not.

During our time in New York, we saw the different groups of protesters in a 2 day span. It's funny, because my wife avoids political talk completely, she's just not interested in it. But she said the exact thing I was thinking.

The protesters ALL fell into 1 of 2 categories:

1) Clearly mentally challenged.

Based on the things they said, speech patterns, word usage, clothing/costumes... there's really no way they were "normal." I mean, they were totally messed in the head and it was painfully obvious. I suppose it could have been drugs, but it sounded like there was some real issues going on upstairs.

2) Unclean 20-30 year olds that looked like they lived in their mom's basement and/or definitely needed to start printing resumes and looking for a job. They sounded normal and would probably clean up well, but they looked like transient fruit pickers from Quebec and/or just came from their college safe spaces.

I didn't see one protester, literally one, that I would even try to engage in a rational dialogue with. I didn't see one that I would hire for a job (in their present attire or based on what they said). I didn't see one over 30, although a couple looked like 50 year old crack heads... but they could have been a hard 20 year old living on the street.

Point is, these protesters didn't really offer anything of substance in their look, performance or platforms.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Trump protesters

Post by Loki2u »

Well, if you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything.

I say good for them! At least they are trying to protest where they will get noticed and make a statement instead of maybe standing in the shadows judging or coming online to a forum like say.......castanet and complaining to a bunch of other armchair critics where nothing will ever get done about it.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 19th, 2016, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Loki2u wrote:Well, if you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything.

I say good for them! At least they are trying to protest where they will get noticed and make a statement instead of maybe standing in the shadows judging or coming online to a forum like say.......castanet and complaining to a bunch of other armchair critics where nothing will ever get done about it.

Nothing will get done about democracy?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

fvkasm2x wrote:
Point is, these protesters didn't really offer anything of substance in their look, performance or platforms.

But they meet the main criteria, be it the left or right. They are easily manipulated.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Good ol' Castanet. People who don't fit into societal norms (dress, appearance, speaking patterns) are mentally challenged. High-functioning Autism and other disorders where a person can be highly intelligent yet appear disheveled and stutter don't exist - everyone who doesn't fit into a nice clean stereotypical box is mentally handicapped.

Perhaps you should have actually tried talking to at least one person before labeling all of them in a condescending way.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Nothing will get done about democracy?

Did you vote in the U.S election? I didn't get a vote unfortunately.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Ive asked this question before. What is it they hope to achieve? Do they expect Trump to step down or something, cause its pretty much guaranteed that's not gonna happen. So what then? Like this dumb protest in kelowna, Whats the point of it? Does Trump really give a rats *bleep* what we do in some little town in Canada?
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

fvkasm2x wrote:So I just got back from a trip to New York. Naturally went by the Trump Tower because I mean... why not.

During our time in New York, we saw the different groups of protesters in a 2 day span. It's funny, because my wife avoids political talk completely, she's just not interested in it. But she said the exact thing I was thinking.

The protesters ALL fell into 1 of 2 categories:

1) Clearly mentally challenged.

Based on the things they said, speech patterns, word usage, clothing/costumes... there's really no way they were "normal." I mean, they were totally messed in the head and it was painfully obvious. I suppose it could have been drugs, but it sounded like there was some real issues going on upstairs.

2) Unclean 20-30 year olds that looked like they lived in their mom's basement and/or definitely needed to start printing resumes and looking for a job. They sounded normal and would probably clean up well, but they looked like transient fruit pickers from Quebec and/or just came from their college safe spaces.

I didn't see one protester, literally one, that I would even try to engage in a rational dialogue with. I didn't see one that I would hire for a job (in their present attire or based on what they said). I didn't see one over 30, although a couple looked like 50 year old crack heads... but they could have been a hard 20 year old living on the street.

I wonder if the same could've been observed from protesters of your generation such as the flower power movement?

It's hard enough getting young people of this generation interested in politics to begin with yet you complain they are bringing their passion onto the street and aren't dressed appropriately or have the capacity to converse intelligently?

C'mon man!
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Loki2u wrote:Well, if you don't stand for something....you'll fall for anything.

That's why there was a move to the right....

The left was destroying America...or better gutting America :smt045
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

vinnied wrote:Ive asked this question before. What is it they hope to achieve? Do they expect Trump to step down or something, cause its pretty much guaranteed that's not gonna happen. So what then?

That is a very interesting question, but I suspect the protest and unrest is far from over. With only about 25% support from the electorate (with almost 50% not voting at all showing just how dangerous apathy can be for democracy) and a campaign fueled on hate and divisiveness, I think we can expect to see a lot of conflict well past Trump’s inauguration. Add to that his nomination of two white nationalists and a conspiracy theorist recruited from the good ‘ol boys club for his national security team and there is no reason to assume Trump is going to be taking any peacemaking stand. His supporters here keep saying “give him a chance, he might surprise you” Well, we’ll see and thankfully we get to watch from up here.

On Friday night, as Pence entered the auditorium for the Broadway show at the Richard Rogers Theater, video taken by onlookers and posted to social media picked up some audience members cheering him, then more people booing him.
Pence walked down the aisle towards his seat and waved briefly as people in the theater clearly began to realize who he was. Then the boos began.

The show was occasionally disrupted by more loud booing at Pence. Patrons did not lose sight of the irony of a strong conservative, with a record of opposition against gay rights, attending a hip-hop musical with a pointedly diverse cast was not lost on , as noted in an early report by Variety magazine.

<snip>

Pence ended up watching the whole show but as he was about to leave the theater at the end of the curtain call a member of the cast called him back.

Brandon Dixon, who plays vice-president Aaron Burr, stepped forward and took out a piece of paper. He thanked the audience for seeing the show, then said: “Vice-president Mike Pence, I see you walking out, but I hope you will hear us, just a few moments.”

As some quiet boos emanated from the audience as it began to disperse, Dixon hushed the audience and delivered a message.
“There is nothing to boo here, ladies and gentlemen, we are sharing a story of love,” he said.

He continued: “Mike Pence, we welcome you here. We are the diverse Americans who are alarmed and anxious that your new administration will not protect us, our planet, our children, our parents.”

Many of the remaining audience began to cheer softly as Dixon, who is African American, pointed towards Pence.

“Or defend us and uphold our inalienable rights … we hope that this show has inspired you to uphold our American values and work on behalf of all of us,” he continued, to rising cheers.

“We thank you for sharing this wonderful American story, told by a diverse group of men and women of different colors, creeds and orientations,” he concluded.

It was not clear whether Pence heard the whole address or made any response. On Saturday morning, Dixon replied to Trump’s call for an apology: “conversation is not harassment, sir,” he wrote on Twitter. “And I appreciate [Mike Pence] for stopping to listen.”

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/ ... id=SL5MDHP
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

averagejoe wrote: The left was destroying America...or better gutting America :smt045

America is in good hands now :digging:
Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Terris »

JollyGreenBully wrote:Good ol' Castanet. People who don't fit into societal norms (dress, appearance, speaking patterns) are mentally challenged. High-functioning Autism and other disorders where a person can be highly intelligent yet appear disheveled and stutter don't exist - everyone who doesn't fit into a nice clean stereotypical box is mentally handicapped.

Perhaps you should have actually tried talking to at least one person before labeling all of them in a condescending way.

Sure; but...

In the world most of us live in, there is a requirement for more than just blindly assuming that the apparent rubby dubs gracing us with their presence are the leader savants that will save us from ourselves.

How can we assume that these marginal characters are, in fact, hidden leader saviours ? Have any of them shown any type of organized leadership potential? Assumed intelligence alone is not enough.

We are genetically predisposed to sort our leaders out by their comportment.

The actions of these disheveled, disgruntled few have not and likely will not amount to any sort of action that will change what is happening in the American political scene. Young people back in the 60' and 70's knew how to make protest matter.

This new generation of protestors is too entitled (except perhaps the crackhead couple) to understand where their entitlement has been derived let alone protest against it.

If these "high functioning" savants are representative of what real Americans want for their society than they will eventually be their leaders. Let them step up and show us the better path. That's democracy.

Until then, I suppose we'll just have to get used to living in a Trumped up world where well dressed rich people call the shots...
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

vinnied wrote:Ive asked this question before. What is it they hope to achieve? Do they expect Trump to step down or something, cause its pretty much guaranteed that's not gonna happen. So what then? Like this dumb protest in kelowna, Whats the point of it? Does Trump really give a rats *bleep* what we do in some little town in Canada?

While I don't think the protest in Kelowna means much, I can understand the protests in the states.

Trump won around half of the popular vote, that means now not only does he represent the half that voted for him, but also the half that didn't and all the people that didn't get to vote or didn't want to vote. The people are protesting in hopes of getting their voices heard. They are hoping that Trump will open his eyes to the fact that there are 50% of voters who have different political values and ethics. That hopefully their voices will matter, just as much as the 50% that voted for him, in making decisions that will affect all Americans.
hail Satan y'all
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Terris wrote:Sure; but...

In the world most of us live in, there is a requirement for more than just blindly assuming that the apparent rubby dubs gracing us with their presence are the leader savants that will save us from ourselves.

How can we assume that these marginal characters are, in fact, hidden leader saviours ? Have any of them shown any type of organized leadership potential? Assumed intelligence alone is not enough.

We are genetically predisposed to sort our leaders out by their comportment.

The actions of these disheveled, disgruntled few have not and likely will not amount to any sort of action that will change what is happening in the American political scene. Young people back in the 60' and 70's knew how to make protest matter.

This new generation of protestors is too entitled (except perhaps the crackhead couple) to understand where their entitlement has been derived let alone protest against it.

If these "high functioning" savants are representative of what real Americans want for their society than they will eventually be their leaders. Let them step up and show us the better path. That's democracy.

Until then, I suppose we'll just have to get used to living in a Trumped up world where well dressed rich people call the shots...

I.....I honestly have no clue what you're saying here especially since I never said anything about savants. It really feels like you just typed this response to try to call protesters entitled and that back in the old days people were better at protesting. Like, I don't even know what sort of response you're expecting.

I thought I was just making the obvious point that judging people by appearances alone without even bothering to speak to them (as TC apparently did) is childish and creates so many problems in society.

I was in Seattle protesting not that long ago. Due to a disorder I quite often appear "grubby" or whatever word people want to use and I have difficulty articulating my thoughts in person. If TC had seen me, would I have been lumped in with the mentally challenged crowd? I don't want to out words in his mouth, but I'm assuming so. I just find it annoying is all when I see so many posts that are like "that protester or that person of a certain political affiliation has a smudge on his face! He's clearly mentally handicapped!" Like OK then....

Return to “World”