3,500 American Retail stores to close...

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 3,500 American Retail stores to close...

Post by GordonH »

^^^Starting with self serve gas stations, self serve banking & self serve checkout. Fewer & fewer jobs are needed (true none of these jobs were good paying). But it was something if you needed it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Toys R Us is trouble as net sales plunge $113 MILLION

Toys R Us on Tuesday said its first quarter consolidated net sales were $2.21 billion, a decrease of $113 million compared to the prior year period. Excluding a $24 million negative impact from foreign currency translation, net sales declined by $89 million, largely attributable to declines in the baby category, according to a company press release.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

U.S. retail sales in May are weakest in 16 months

U.S. retailers in May reported the biggest decline in sales in 16 months, largely owing to lower gasoline prices and fewer Americans buying new cars and trucks.

Sales at retailers nationwide sank 0.3% last month, the biggest drop since January 2016, the government reported Wednesday. The May sales report was generally weak across the board.

Economists polled by MarketWatch had forecast flat sales in May.

The reversal last month unwound much of the strength in April when sales jumped 0.4%. April sales benefited from a late Easter holiday and the arrival of tax refunds for millions of American workers.

In the bigger picture, though, retail sales continue to increase at a moderate pace in tune with steady growth of the U.S. economy. Sales are up 3.9% in the first five months of 2017 compared to the same period in 2016.

“More jobs, rising wages, low inflation, rising home sales, and low interest rates will continue to push consumer spending forward in 2017,” asserted Gus Faucher, chief economist at PNC Financial Services.

Most of the weakness in May stemmed from a 2.4% plunge in sales at gasoline retailers, marking the biggest decline in more than a year. That’s a good thing for consumers.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Lets look at the other side of consumer spending trends before we all cry doom and gloom ...

http://fortune.com/2016/06/08/online-sh ... increases/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/79-pe ... ways-them/
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Dizzy1 wrote:Lets look at the other side of consumer spending trends before we all cry doom and gloom ...

It's only doom and gloom for all the retailer workers when the anchors store of malls close....Sunny on-line shopping! :sunshine:

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Lets look at the other side of consumer spending trends before we all cry doom and gloom ...

http://fortune.com/2016/06/08/online-sh ... increases/
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/19/79-pe ... ways-them/

Lower overhead then brick and mortar store front, once the other start to catch up to Amazon use of robotics at their warehouses.
The need of actually human employees will drop, oh yes the automobile manufacturers they to will not be needing anywhere near workforce again due to automation.

Jobs will have to created elsewhere, actually were is anyone guess.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:It's only doom and gloom for all the retailer workers when the anchors store of malls close....Sunny on-line shopping! :sunshine:

They're just as guilty of bucking the trend with their shopping habits as anyone else is.

So, what is your suggestion? Ban online shopping?

Consumerism, like everything else evolves with time. You can't change it. One day, places like Amazon will be struggling because they can't adapt to what ever the next trend is.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Dizzy1 wrote: So, what is your suggestion? Ban online shopping?

What gives you that idea?

If I was an American...wouldn't be so cool to drive by miles and miles of empty retail malls and stores? :135:

So cool, all these unemployed retail workers can now go work for amazon! :D

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

averagejoe wrote:So cool, all these unemployed retail workers can now go work for amazon! :D

With the level of automation at Amazon, doubtful the help wanted sign is ever put out.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

GordonH wrote:
averagejoe wrote:So cool, all these unemployed retail workers can now go work for amazon! :D

With the level of automation at Amazon, doubtful the help wanted sign is ever put out.

You are totally right GordonH, but some on here think (wish) these 10,000's of work retailers are just going to uproot and move to another city with an Amazon warehouse and find work. :smt045

Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

According to Idiocracy, Costco will be the only walk-in retailer in the future.
According to Demolition Man, Taco bell will be the only restaurant, which is in conflict with Idiocracy (bu**fu*****).
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:
You are totally right GordonH, but some on here think (wish) these 10,000's of work retailers are just going to uproot and move to another city with an Amazon warehouse and find work. :smt045

So what should we do?
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote:You are totally right GordonH, but some on here think (wish) these 10,000's of work retailers are just going to uproot and move to another city with an Amazon warehouse and find work. :smt045

Dizzy1 wrote:So what should we do?

Best to get a good spot in the food stamp line... :D

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

averagejoe wrote:
Best to get a good spot in the food stamp line... :D

If we choose to evolve as a consumer, we need to evolve as a worker.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

averagejoe wrote: Best to get a good spot in the food stamp line... :D

Dizzy1 wrote: If we choose to evolve as a consumer, we need to evolve as a worker.

Yes how true, get your job application for P/T work at Starbucks or Walmart.... :D

Return to “World”