Parents: Prepare your kids for left-wing campus bias

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Parents: Prepare your kids for left-wing campus bias

Post by Omnitheo »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
averagejoe wrote:More leftwing college lunatics.....

Students Now Claim Louisiana State University’s Tiger Mascot is ‘Racist’ and ‘White Privilege’

A group of students at Louisiana State University is now demanding that the school eliminate its 122-year-old tiger mascot, because the animal represents “white privilege” and “racism.”

A change.org petition, entitled “Change the Racist Mascot of LSU!,” demands that the school take action to dump the tiger mascot because it was named “during the height of Jim Crow South.”

LSU named the tiger as its mascot back in 1895, taking the symbol from one of the state’s hardest fighting civil war battalions known as the “Louisiana Tigers.”

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/06 ... privilege/

Is this a joke?

Their mascot is an actual tiger. Like it's not a dude dressed in a tiger outfit, it is an actual caged tiger. Well it's been 7 or 8 tigers by now. Many of which have had to be euthanized. KLO doesn't keep actual cougars. KSS doesn't have roosts of owls. Is it so wrong to maybe suggest changing the mascot and not imprisoning animals for the amusement of the campus sports team?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The tiger was named in 1895. That's one old *bleep* cat!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Meet the professor who radicalized students to become liberal/marxist/progressives at evergreen college

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Glacier wrote:The tiger was named in 1895. That's one old *bleep* cat!

Glacier, why don't you look it up yourself? What are you adding to the discussion by making incredulous statements that there has been 1 singular animal to represent the campus?

Mike I was 1936-1956
Mike VII is 2016-present

And yes they do have a costumed mascot, but why keep the actual tiger? Especially after Mike VI was euthanized. He had cancer so it was unfortunate, but he continued to live in an enclosure on campus until that time.

Sometimes things aren't just left wing right wing and have much more context behind them. As much as breitbart would like to frame this as a new leftist conspiracy against the civil war, the fact remains that the living tiger mascot has been a controversy for he university for nearly as long as they've had one. You guys are so blinded by your hatred of "them" that you're willing to suspend disbelief to buy into any meme or propoganda story that is anti-"them".
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

averagejoe wrote:Meet the professor who radicalized students to become liberal/marxist/progressives at evergreen college

That's a picture, not an introduction.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To me asking white students to not attend campus for a day was an exercise in power politics.

True disgusting and blatant racism was when no one was asking the black students to leave a campus they were banned from attending anyways

Would I be offended by being asked to leave my campus when I was attending school? YOU BET! But it would also show how few people of different nationalities and skin colour actually attended OUC in the early '90s because by any calculation the number at the time was small.

Do I have proof positive of that? Sorry no, but it's from memory, no need to tell me that I could be wrong.

Left Wing campus bias will evolve over time, like all campus politics. If conservatism is the number one growing political leaning in young people today, that will be reflected in campuses to come.

And sorry, but a real an actual Tiger? Caged like that?
Disgusting. Absolutely no regard towards the animal.
I believe zoos have largely repurposed themselves towards saving endangered species, but just keeping a tiger for display is disgusting filthy business. Have a tiger mascot, a stuffed one if need be, but a real one? Stupid beyond stupid.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:Glacier, why don't you look it up yourself? What are you adding to the discussion by making incredulous statements that there has been 1 singular animal to represent the campus?

Mike I was 1936-1956
Mike VII is 2016-present

And yes they do have a costumed mascot, but why keep the actual tiger? Especially after Mike VI was euthanized. He had cancer so it was unfortunate, but he continued to live in an enclosure on campus until that time.

Sometimes things aren't just left wing right wing and have much more context behind them. As much as breitbart would like to frame this as a new leftist conspiracy against the civil war, the fact remains that the living tiger mascot has been a controversy for he university for nearly as long as they've had one. You guys are so blinded by your hatred of "them" that you're willing to suspend disbelief to buy into any meme or propoganda story that is anti-"them".

I looked at the petition, and not one word about the mascot being a real animal. I'll take your word for it that it's real, and if that were the petition's focus, I'd be behind, but as it reads, I think it's ridiculous.

I'm not totally against the petition because I object to the sports team "tiger" as a rule because there are too many teams with that name. It's like how there are 25 fish lakes in BC. Come one, people, you can't think of something more original? One animal per sports please.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

More leftist lunacy...

GENDER FLUID SCIENCE: University of Arizona liberal announces “feminist” version of physics, because real physics is dominated by men like Sir Isaac Newton

It should be said — plainly, loudly and often — that far-Left “progressives” and their ideological soulmates in the Democratic Party care nothing about “equality,” because if they really did, they wouldn’t pit ethnic groups, members of various sexual statuses and even political rivals against each other. But they do so because that is where the movement derives its power.

If you can understand that concept, then it becomes a lot easier to understand why they say, do and believe many of the things they espouse when it comes to gender issues, gender roles and the bastardization of what is “normal” into something that is immoral, wrong and, thus, in need of change.

Take, for example, recent claims made by Leftist researcher Whitney Stark at the University of Arizona’s Institute for LGBT Studies (yes, there really is such an entity). As reported by Breitbart News, she states that she’s created a “feminist” version of quantum physics, specifically to get rid of what she sees as bigotry in studying the principle discoverer of physics, Sir Isaac Newton. (RELATED: JUNK SCIENCE: Climate Change Now Being Blamed For Mental Health Problems… Is There Anything It Doesn’t Cause?)

http://www.naturalnews.com/2017-06-06-g ... ewton.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Our education system isn’t broken, it’s all going according to plan

Our students’ ignorance is not a failing of the educational system – it is its crowning achievement. Efforts by several generations of philosophers and reformers and public policy experts — whom our students (and most of us) know nothing about — have combined to produce a generation of know-nothings. The pervasive ignorance of our students is not a mere accident or unfortunate but correctible outcome, if only we hire better teachers or tweak the reading lists in high school. It is the consequence of a civilizational commitment to civilizational suicide. The end of history for our students signals the End of History for the West…

We have fallen into the bad and unquestioned habit of thinking that our educational system is broken, but it is working on all cylinders. What our educational system aims to produce is cultural amnesia, a wholesale lack of curiosity, history-less free agents, and educational goals composed of content-free processes and unexamined buzz-words like “critical thinking,” “diversity,” “ways of knowing,” “social justice,” and “cultural competence.”

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/markmeckle ... vid+Clarke

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

What went on at Evergreen was so disgusting, there should be an entire thread dedicated to this topic. Almost (but not quite) as bad as the NDP in BC with their disgusting racist and sexist nomination policies.

Here's an example of why you should never let an extreme ideology, either left or right, take control of anything, be it government or an educational institution. Only chaos and evil will reign, as it is reigning at Evergreen.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

What’s the topic again?

“(Parents) Prepare your kids for left-wing campus bias(?)”

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/05/pr ... ampus-bias

Larry Elder doesn’t offer any suggestions for how to prepare your kids for left-wing campus bias either.

Looks like most righties may be pretty woefully prepared to discuss the how except for to show and tell their kids how the bogeyman’s gonna get ‘em if they don’t watch out.

Are these the only ideas out there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcpzuGlFycQ

http://www.liberalsundermybed.com/
Last edited by f/22 on Jun 9th, 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

:laugh: What a coincidence, I just found this on Larry’s blog:

Parents: Prepare Your College Kids for Left-Wing Campus Bias

Larry Elder

Larry says his philosophy is to entertain, inform, provoke and “to hopefully uplift.” His calling card is “we have a country to save,” and to him this means returning to the bedrock Constitutional principles of limited government and maximum personal responsibility.

Larry says his philosophy is to entertain, inform, provoke and “to hopefully uplift.” His calling card is “we have a country to save,” and to him this means returning to the bedrock Constitutional principles of limited government and maximum personal responsibility.

http://www.kvoi.com/larry-elder/parents ... mpus-bias/

Looks like he’s got the empty-headed repeats, too.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Oh.
Oh.
"Wait for it."
"Wait for it."

Awesome!

I am so sorry.

I was wrong.

In this video Larry actually gives invaluable advice to parents.

And he says he has a book?

I'll look that up for us..

He says it's the first one that he wrote.

Could be this one?

The Ten Things You Can't Say in America – September 11, 2000

Too bad I don't see it in the OK Library system.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

f/22 wrote:Oh.
Oh.
"Wait for it."
"Wait for it."

Awesome!

I am so sorry.

I was wrong.

Larry actually gives invaluable advice to parents.

And he says he has a book?

I'll look that up for us.

Lol! He puts Bono's opinion forward as an example to try to persuade college students of the value of capitalism. Since when has Bono, or his opinion mattered to anyone under the age of 40? It's been at least 10 years since he was even remotely relevant.
Additionally, how bloody condescending to completely dismiss your child's opinion just because it differs to your own. This isn't about informing them, this is about making sure they conform with your straight-jacket of opinions. The purpose of college and university is education, pushing learning and understanding. If a student goes to a good university, they'll come out with the ability to weigh up pros and cons and make up their own mind. It is laughable to think that people are worried that their kid might be slightly influenced by new ideas when they go to college, that's the bloody point of them. And if it's at all a good college and the student is at all smart, they will make up their own mind and be a healthier, more capable human able to make rational, coherent opinions for themselves.
Damn this World is full of controlling parents.

Return to “World”