Gay Pride Flag Add Black, Brown for ‘Racial Inclusivity.’

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Gay Pride Flag Add Black, Brown for ‘Racial Inclusivity.’

Post by Glacier »

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/black ... ride-flag/

Backfired, didn’t it? Many in the LGBTQIAAP community responded to this post, beet colored in the facial area. Because as everyone else understood the rainbow flag, it’s not literal. A rainbow is a symbol. It’s a spectrum. But now it’s not. Now it’s ruined.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Re: Gay Pride Flag Add Black, Brown for ‘Racial Inclusivity.

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Glacier, this is the second time you've posted an inflammatory article that leaves out a bunch of information and is squarely designed to insult the LGBTQ community. I don't get it. Once again, if you had bothered to research the issue at all, you'd see exactly why brown was chosen:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health/new-pride-flag-colors-trnd/index.html

Philadelphia's downtown gay neighborhood, called the Gayborhood, has faced multiple instances of racial discrimination within the past year, including discriminatory dress-code policies at local bars and a leaked video of a nightclub owner using a racial slur. The campaign and new flag are one way the city and the Office of LGBT Affairs are addressing those issues.

Instead of posting these ridiculous and inflammatory articles, can you try doing a bit of research first? Thanks.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Isn't white a color anymore? :135:
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

JollyGreenBully wrote:Glacier, this is the second time you've posted an inflammatory article that leaves out a bunch of information and is squarely designed to insult the LGBTQ community. I don't get it. Once again, if you had bothered to research the issue at all, you'd see exactly why brown was chosen:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/13/health/new-pride-flag-colors-trnd/index.html

Philadelphia's downtown gay neighborhood, called the Gayborhood, has faced multiple instances of racial discrimination within the past year, including discriminatory dress-code policies at local bars and a leaked video of a nightclub owner using a racial slur. The campaign and new flag are one way the city and the Office of LGBT Affairs are addressing those issues.

Instead of posting these ridiculous and inflammatory articles, can you try doing a bit of research first? Thanks.

LOL....your kidding right JollyGreenBully! And you use the biggest fake news of them all CNN.

You just lost all credibility....

Use some real news, like alternative news....you might learn something new!
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

^No, I'm not kidding. The amount of LGBTQ bashing that goes on here is silly, and as a gay man, it really bothers me.

If you don't like CNN then watch the video at morecolormorepride.com

It shows exactly why the color was added. Don't like it? Too bad, but it's not part of some gay conspiracy to discriminate against white people. I don't even understand how someone could come to such a conclusion other than to purposely try to annoy people.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The gays should display colors for the heterosexual community. And if they don't, the heterosexual community should complain, call it discrimination and straight bashing.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Don't start making it personal please! Thanks!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

So the argument and theory was that the rainbow was inclusive of everyone of any type anywhere......but they needed to make it more "inclusive"? by clearly marking it's exclusivity?

Politically for the fair treatment of people of any type I think this was likely a foolish move. You have now redefined what the flag is and therefore opened up the definitions of what it really stands for, and people are going to run with it. IN the end maybe it is fine, or it will hurt things, but I'm having a hard time seeing where this will have a positive result.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Veovis wrote:So the argument and theory was that the rainbow was inclusive of everyone of any type anywhere......but they needed to make it more "inclusive"? by clearly marking it's exclusivity?

Politically for the fair treatment of people of any type I think this was likely a foolish move. You have now redefined what the flag is and therefore opened up the definitions of what it really stands for, and people are going to run with it. IN the end maybe it is fine, or it will hurt things, but I'm having a hard time seeing where this will have a positive result.

Thanks for leaving juvenile remarks out of your post - it's appreciated.

I understand reservations about the flag being changed, but as stated in the links above, it's more about recognizing the racial discrimination that has been going on in Philadelphia within the LGBTQ community itself. It's a campaign to try to get LGBTQ members to look at intolerance in their own community.

Any person who is gay knows that certain LGBTQ people are ostracized by their own community for various reasons, even for stupid ones like "not acting gay enough." The colors "black" and "brown" are being added which represent certain minorities, but the message that the LGBTQ community needs to be more inclusive is far more reaching and far more powerful.

Could this message have been approached a different way? Probably. Would people have paid attention to a different approach? Probably not.

Time will tell if it has a positive result or if it'll just lead to other cities declaring flag changes and get out of hand, but I think recognizing that the LGBTQ community discriminates against itself is a good thing and will hopefully lead to at least a bit more compassion and hopefully facilitate some much needed changes.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I don't mean any offense by this, just asking out of curiosity: How can a dress code be discriminatory? I've never heard of this before.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JollyGreenBully
Banned

The Green Barbarian wrote:I don't mean any offense by this, just asking out of curiosity: How can a dress code be discriminatory? I've never heard of this before.

Tricky to prove but:

http://www.phillymag.com/g-philly/2016/09/22/racism-woodys-dress-code/

“The bouncer told me that they couldn’t let me in with sweatpants and sneakers because that’s their policy,” Jewel, 25, says. “I was outraged … a place that I’ve called home for years had now flipped the script on me.”

Jewel — well known in the Gayborhood as a “Mr. Everything” winner at Tabu, a youth marshal at Philly Pride, and a former employee of the Attic Youth Center — says he has gone to Woody’s since he was 18 and claims he has always worn similar sportswear attire without incident, including as recently as August.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Hmmmm, the argument for changing the old crosswalks (which were all inclusive) was that the rainbow was somehow more inclusive than the all-inclusive white ones. The white ones are still all-inclusive.... the rainbow apparently wasn't... sometimes it's best to leave things alone.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

JollyGreenBully wrote:
I understand reservations about the flag being changed, but as stated in the links above, it's more about recognizing the racial discrimination that has been going on in Philadelphia within the LGBTQ community itself. It's a campaign to try to get LGBTQ members to look at intolerance in their own community.

Any person who is gay knows that certain LGBTQ people are ostracized by their own community for various reasons, even for stupid ones like "not acting gay enough." The colors "black" and "brown" are being added which represent certain minorities, but the message that the LGBTQ community needs to be more inclusive is far more reaching and far more powerful.

Could this message have been approached a different way? Probably. Would people have paid attention to a different approach? Probably not.

This is the story being told as to why they made the flag for "every one but the whites" in effect. Personally I don't really care as a flag doesn't determine how I treat someone, but what has been, done, how it will be perceived, and the actual reasons for doing so are far from what is being spun in the story.

As I said I think it was a political misstep for the cause, and personally likely done more to create issue than solve issue. If you create issue you get attention, if you solve them you get a community, and they decided "we accept all" was better shown as "we accept all but white?"

The approach does matter in my mind, they could have got a lot of attention by public executions as well, it wouldn't make it a smart move no matter how much you then say it was to "create awareness of the bad things in our neighbourhood" Certainly that is an over the top example, but so was the change of a flag, especially a flag that symbolised "all".

To take something that symbolised "all" and changed it, it then changes it to not mean "all" and again be a symbol of a special interest group, and you will see city halls etc all over be able to remove the ability to fly.

Don't mistake me here either, I'm not advocating for these things to happen, I am simply pointing out what doors are being opened for the hard rights that get uppity about this stuff will use due to the new meaning of the flag.

The smart rebuttal would be for the larger LGBT.....organisations to state that he flag is a symbol of acceptance of all and this group does not specifically represent the ideals of the majority.

To many elections lately, I just see the political hay that may get made from changing a flag for "all" into all but "those other guys"
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Veovis wrote:The smart rebuttal would be for the larger LGBT.....organisations to state that he flag is a symbol of acceptance of all and this group does not specifically represent the ideals of the majority.

Agreed. I'm in favour of this campaign to bring awareness to recent discrimination in Philadelphia, but if every city starts changing the flag around it'll turn into a huge cluster f.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

averagejoe wrote:Isn't white a color anymore? :135:

White is a combination of all the colors. lol. So, you are all the above.

It changes faster than the internet can keep up, or that new bathrooms can be built.

QUILTBAG (queer and questioning, intersex, lesbian, transgender and two-spirit, bisexual, asexual and ally, and gay and genderqueer)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “World”