Hate crimes against Muslims up: What may have helped in 2015

f/22
Board Meister

Re: Hate crimes against Muslims up: What may have helped in

Post by f/22 »

Queen K wrote:
Queen K wrote:One could easily make the argument stick well that Muslims are the MAIN targets of other Muslims.

This is what I'm talking about, NO ONE has to point to right wing conservative rhetoric for fomenting disgust and hate crimes against Muslims when this sort of thing goes on:

Dress in woman's clothing and killing people in a refugee camp?

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/bom ... li=AAggv0m

Easily said when the majority of countries where the vast majority of Muslims live are authoritarian regimes or illiberal democracies (like the example from Iraq). But when hate crimes against Muslims living in a free democracy may have been influenced through Conservative party rhetoric then ANYONE living there has a right to point that out.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I wonder if the OP is a racist bigot. Both catholic and islamic hate crimes are up about 60% and yet not a single mention of the fact. If you think some hate crimes are worse than others, you're the bigot.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Glacier wrote:I wonder if the OP is a racist bigot. Both catholic and islamic hate crimes are up about 60% and yet not a single mention of the fact. If you think some hate crimes are worse than others, you're the bigot.

hardly but we do know most the sex crimes commited by men of the cloth in canada are from catholics. we dont see cayholic churches being burnt up . ect ect. its time for whute christians to stop playing victims and accept resposability for the one sidedness of hate crimes in canada .

most the hate crimes in canada against first nations is commited by which faith ?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Glacier wrote:I wonder if the OP is a racist bigot.

probably not.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

LOL.
As least no one can get away with 'going so far as to actually accuse (me) of being dishonest,' now, can they?
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Falsely accuse, that is.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

BTW, I started this tread off under the Canada section of this forum.

And as it went along, I discovered some very useful information towards the original topic.

The Environcs Institute Survey of Muslims in Canada 2016

http://www.environicsinstitute.org/uplo ... report.pdf

So, because I’ve never seen anyone on this forum identify themselves as being of the Muslim faith, perhaps the above willing group of Muslims has given some accurate information towards their thoughts on being Canadian.

Also if people want to take a Project Implicit IAT test (as I linked {above] from another thread, here are some of the IAT site sections.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/aboutus.html

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeatest.html

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/selectatest.html

Here's the link to the Arab-Muslim IAT (one among many that are available).

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/Study?tid=-1

As I've said before on this forum: Temet Nosce--Know Thyself

For it is not against the 'rules,' nor 'dishonest,' nor ever too late to 'edit.'

But it is against the 'rules' to falsely accuse. (Although an apology can go a long way towards healing the damage).

For I've also posted this before.

Your Bill of Assertive Rights

http://www.mhankyswoh.org/Uploads/files ... 130813.pdf
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

maryjane48 wrote:hardly but we do know most the sex crimes commited by men of the cloth in canada are from catholics. we dont see cayholic churches being burnt up . etc etc. its time for whute christians to stop playing victims and accept resposability for the one sidedness of hate crimes in canada .

most the hate crimes in canada against first nations is commited by which faith ?

I'm familiar enough with hate crimes against first nations to know the motives, but irrespective of religion or not, it's wrong, and it's happening far too often.

You make a good point about discrimination against Catholics because of the actions of the priests, church, and adherants. By the same token, I think we could say the same thing about Muslim discrimination. Hardly a week goes by that we don't see another Muslim carrying out atrocities in the name Allah. Just like discrimination against Catholics is linked to the bad behavior of Catholics, the discrimination against Muslims is linked to the bad behavior of Muslims.

Linking it to the tone of the election campaign is not a credible theory. You have a much higher chance of being discriminated against for being Jewish or Black than you from being Muslim, so why focus on the Muslims far more? Because the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The other theory is that the OP is a bigot who considers Muslim discrimination worse than other forms of discrimination, but I don't really think that's the case. I think he just suckered in by a click-bait headline.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Knock, knock, Glacier.

It's the OP, here to visit.

Glacier wrote:I wonder if the OP is a racist bigot. Both catholic and islamic hate crimes are up about 60% and yet not a single mention of the fact. If you think some hate crimes are worse than others, you're the bigot.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The fact is that hate crimes against visible minorities have always been part of our social fabric. It just wasn't talked about a lot in the past. Whereas nowadays, every little incident is given a screaming headline, designed to whip up an almost religious like fervour against the perpetrators.

The problem with that is that it tends to "tar everyone with the same brush" when it comes to society's treatment of minorities, even though we all know that it simply isn't true that everybody in the majority "hates" visible minorities. But once the public perception is that all visible minorities are being persecuted in some way, it results in changes to public policy that sometimes become a form of "reverse discrimination", which often leads to a widespread resentment of the very minorities that the policy changes were supposed to help.

This particular chain of events has been very evident in countries like Britain, and the resulting dislike and distrust between some of the various groups is clearly visible in many of it's cities and towns. A situation I would hate to see repeated in Canada, because it makes for an unpleasant atmosphere for ALL citizens, of ALL faiths and backgrounds, not just those from certain groups.

Society needs to stamp out ALL forms of hatred and discrimination, not just the kind that is targeted at any one particular group. Because as soon as we start tailoring our responses depending on the individual group, we ourselves become guilty of discrimination.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

f/22 wrote:Knock, knock, Glacier.

It's the OP, here to visit.

I guess he's not around, so I'll just leave a note for when he gets back.

Hi Glacier,

If the following is your augment, then critical reasoning shows me it's unsound and your conclusion is invalid.

Is this how it goes?

If someone mentions the fact that both catholic and Islamic hate crimes are up about 60%, then that means they don’t think some hate crimes are worse than others.

And if someone doesn’t think some hate crimes are worse than others then they are not a bigot.

But the OP never mentioned the fact that both catholic and Islamic hate crimes are up about 60%, so the OP thinks some hate crimes are worse than others.

Therefore the OP is a bigot.

Have I got that right?

Please get back to me.
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

When you can, that is. :biggrin:
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

There isn't an award for who's hated the most so I'm trying to understand why when discussing hate crimes against one religion we have to discuss all religions. It's similar to the way any discussion of black lives matter gets immediately rebuked with, all lives matter. That goes without saying and all it highlights is how we can't focus on one issue without some equivalency battle breaking out.

All religious hates crimes are repugnant, whether against Catholics, Muslims or Jews which is why when one is on the rise an explanation should be sought. So when a politician politicizes fear of a particular religion it's valid to consider that their rhetoric may be contributing to the problem.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

If anything, I think politicians lag behind what their constituents already believe. If there is rising hatred for Islam, it is mostly due to what Islam imposes on the world in terms of violence, rape, etc. Islam is not about peace.
The "http://www.environicsinstitute.org/uploads/institute-projects/survey%20of%20muslims%20in%20canada%202016%20-%20final%20report.pdf" report being paid for by Muslims is probably biased and says the thing most Muslims hate about Canada is the cold. I saw a poll in the Vancouver Sun that would disagree saying 42% of Muslims believe western values are irreconcilable with Islam.

Poll: "OTTAWA - A newly released survey suggests a large number of Muslims living in Canada will not disown Al-Qaida. The study, conducted by the MacDonald Laurier Institute, found 65% of Muslims questioned said they would “repudiate absolutely” the terrorist organization, while 35% would not do so."

There is a lot not to trust.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “World”