maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

The fate of big oil

Post by maryjane48 »

Sparki55
Guru

Re: The fate of big oil

Post by Sparki55 »

I don't know where you find these articles or why you believe them but thanks for posting because I find the read hilarious.

By 2023, used car prices will crash as people give up their vehicles.

Really, just give them up? This is assuming everyone will be able to go out and buy a new electric vehicle.

The point has been most often driven home by Tony Seba, a Stanford professor and guru of “disruption”, who revels in pointing out that an internal combustion engine drivetrain contains about 2,000 parts, while an electric vehicle drivetrain contains about 20. All other things being equal, a system with fewer moving parts will be more reliable than a system with more moving parts.

20 parts? That's it? If this guy ever took and engineering course he would be well aware these motors are made up of far more parts. For the cost comparison, replacing the battery and a worn out motor in an electric vehicle will be far more expensive than small internal combustion engines.

I don't want to crush your dream, humanity will eventually find another way to get around when fuel starts to run out, but it won't be by 2023 like this article suggests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

when jfk said lets put man on the moon nasa said same thing as you did . :smt045
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Al Gore said the ice caps would melt by 2014, but they are still there. Sometimes people are wrong :smt045
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

maryjane48...........you STILL have not told all of us here how YOU have CHANGED your life completely at all costs to save the planet from "mankind". Would love to hear how someone who CONSTANTLY posts about "saving the planet" and who appears to wholly believe absolutely everything that comes up on the topic that SUPPORTS the issue from the hypocritical tree hugging zealots side. Please.........amaze us all since you have such a low opinion of anyone who does not buy into YOUR world and thoughts on it 100%.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

lesliepaul wrote:maryjane48...........you STILL have not told all of us here how YOU have CHANGED your life completely at all costs to save the planet from "mankind". Would love to hear how someone who CONSTANTLY posts about "saving the planet" and who appears to wholly believe absolutely everything that comes up on the topic that SUPPORTS the issue from the hypocritical tree hugging zealots side. Please.........amaze us all since you have such a low opinion of anyone who does not buy into YOUR world and thoughts on it 100%.

You've clearly misunderstood. MJ and that group have only to tell you what YOU must do, not them, they will do as they please and wait for you and others to pay and save the world, do not expect such people to actually live by their beliefs, that is for the followers of faith, not those who deem themselves the leaders.

Look behind the curtain in any type of church....the priests preach the morals and ask for the money...never do they abide by the ideals.

The zealotry of this is really starting to feel like the mayan priests when they said "let me kill your son and I can fix the weather".....or was it only virgin girls they needed for a while? odd that.

Same religion different era, different sacrifice required.

If my $10.00 lowered the earths temperature I'd give, but it only seems to increase Al Gores houses sq footage.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The article had a few interesting points, although, no one wanting oil by 2025 is a sheer impossibility. I expect to have my vehicle until at least that unless I get the urge to upgrade to another gas vehicle. A gas engine relies on a lot of parts that suffer wear, although 20 parts in an electric drive train is also an exaggeration... typically an electric vehicle will also have a gear box and pump for lubricants. Hard to escape oil. We need 7 billion liters of oil just to make a years worth of tires.
Now I would love to not have to replace parts like O2 sensors, etc, but when an electric vehicle is twice the price, It gives me lots of room for repairs before I exceed the cost of an EV. Unfortunately, the battery is a huge cost.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I too am puzzled by the hyper focus of oil = vehicles in this article.

I know National Geographic published an excellent article about all aspects of how oil touches and impacts our modern daily lives.

Unless we are truly back in the Stone Age or Bronze Ages, we are dependent upon oil for a great many applications MJ. I note you merely link the article but don't make any qualifying comments on it, which actually might save you from being so ummm, critiqued.

A few comments from you might help us to know where you stand too.

I can't agree with the thesis of this article any more than anyone else should MJ.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bnoel
Fledgling

Post by Bnoel »

without oil there is no plastics. Period . Enough said. Move on.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Don't know why people get so defensive about this stuff.
If something better is developed i think it's great, i'm in.
Anyway if the US keeps electing these idiot leaders we might go back to throwing rocks and someday needing that oil again Lol
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Don't know why people get so defensive about this stuff.
If something better is developed i think it's great, i'm in.
Anyway if the US keeps electing these idiot leaders we might go back to throwing rocks and someday needing that oil again Lol

People get defensive over :cuss: like this
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-203866-3-.htm#203866
MJ will praise them for this decision by posting how terrible these companies are, not realizing how much is made with petroleum and that we need this expansion to grow our economy.
http://whgbetc.com/petro-products.pdf
It's not just cars, they are half the issue. The other half the issue is everyday things we use.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Looks like the "fate" of big oil is sealed ...

http://theogm.com/2016/07/12/6-new-oil- ... now-about/

$40 billion to be invested in the oil sands over the next few years. Imperial just announced a construction and production ramp up next year building two new crushers for a new 2 year construction project bringing in an extra real jobs. CNRL has plans to up capacity at the Horizon site and Teck is expected to announce its final approval for the $20 billion Frontier project later this year. :up: :up: :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^ OH Wait, is that with the Notley Government still in place in Alberta? How can this be? We are always told investment flees NDP run provinces. Maybe, just maybe, that is not always true!

:biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Dizzy1 wrote:Looks like the "fate" of big oil is sealed ...

http://theogm.com/2016/07/12/6-new-oil- ... now-about/

$40 billion to be invested in the oil sands over the next few years. Imperial just announced a construction and production ramp up next year building two new crushers for a new 2 year construction project bringing in an extra real jobs. CNRL has plans to up capacity at the Horizon site and Teck is expected to announce its final approval for the $20 billion Frontier project later this year. :up: :up: :up:

I love stories like this...thanks Dizzy. Hopefully drives my stock prices up! love he smell of money, I mean oil sands! :up:

Return to “World”