47395
45615

Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Thinktank » Sep 6th, 2017, 6:03 am



USA is run by tards
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5837
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Thinktank » Sep 6th, 2017, 7:15 am

USA< BRITAIN< RUSSIA< FRANCE< CHINA - 2053
N Korea - 2



:up:
Ukraine is broke, and undertook a war on that portion of the country that provided 30% of GDP. Now a draft, for an army, for a war, for a government that will - get this - implement IMF/EU *austerity*.
User avatar
Thinktank
Guru
 
Posts: 5837
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 455 posts
Joined: Nov 5th, 2010, 5:21 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Ka-El » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:55 am

How real is assassination threat to Kim Jong-un?

Reports that South Korea, in the wake of North Korea's dramatic Sept. 3 test of a massive thermonuclear bomb, has approved plans to establish a special forces unit to assassinate Kim Jong-un appear to signal a sharp change of direction in the foreign policy of South Korea's President Moon Jae-in.

Why would a progressive politician elected in May on a platform of engagement with the North and who, just a few months ago in Berlin in July, talked confidently of establishing a "permanent peace regime" on the peninsula, of avoiding the "collapse" of North Korea and "easing its security and economic concerns", suddenly shift gears and appear to embrace aggressive regime change?

Seoul's leaders are terrified by the apparent failure of military deterrence, and the inability of Donald Trump, through his confident "fire and fury" rhetoric, to stop Pyongyang from pressing ahead rapidly with its aggressive military modernisation campaign.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/how ... &ocid=iehp

:up: discuss
Donald Trump: woefully unsuitable, unqualified and unfit to be president
User avatar
Ka-El
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3327
Likes: 1573 posts
Liked in: 2564 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 8:19 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby WalterWhite » Sep 14th, 2017, 5:55 pm

Push coming to shove?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#206646

PDATE: 5:20 p.m.

South Korea's military said North Korea fired an unidentified missile Friday from its capital Pyongyang that flew over Japan before landing in the northern Pacific Ocean.
It was the second aggressive test-flight over the territory of the close U.S. ally in less than a month and it followed the sixth and most powerful nuclear test by North Korea to date on Sept. 3.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile travelled about 3,700 kilometres.
The missile was launched from Sunan, the site of Pyongyang's international airport.
North Korea last month used the airport to fire a Hwasong-12 intermediate range missile that flew over northern Japan.
The North then declared it a "meaningful prelude" to containing the U.S. Pacific island territory of Guam and the start of more ballistic missile launches toward the Pacific Ocean
Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga denounced North Korea's latest launch, saying he was conveying "strong anger" on behalf of the Japanese people.
Suga said Japan "will not tolerate the repeated and excessive provocations."
The North American Aerospace Defence Command determined the intermediate range missile did not pose a threat to North America. In addition, U.S. Pacific Command said it did not pose a threat to Guam.

UPDATE: 3:50 p.m.

South Korea's military says North Korea fired an unidentified missile from its capital Pyongyang in a continuation of weapons tests following its sixth and most powerful nuclear test to date on Sept. 3.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said Friday that the missile was launched from Sunan, the site of Pyongyang's international airport.
The North last month used the airport to fire a Hwasong-12 intermediate range missile that flew over northern Japan in what it declared as a "meaningful prelude" to containing the U.S. Pacific island territory of Guam and the start of more ballistic missile launches targeting the Pacific Ocean.
South Korea's Defence Ministry says the country's military conducted a live-fire ballistic missile drill in response to the North's launch.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in has scheduled a National Security Council meeting to discuss the launch.

– The Canadian Press

ORIGINAL: 3:40 p.m.
North Korea has reportedly fired a ballistic missile in the direction of Japan.
Initial reports are the missile was launched eastward from the capital, Pyongyang.
Japan has warned residents to take shelter, BBC reports.
Earlier today, leader Kim Jong Un had threatened to "sink Japan" with a nuclear bomb.
This story is developing. Castanet will update as details become available.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1159
Likes: 902 posts
Liked in: 1243 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 3:56 pm

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby techrtr » Sep 15th, 2017, 6:27 am

Problem is, if anyone moves against North Korea, they'll invade South Korea, launch missiles at Japan etc. Even with conventional weapons, millions of people will die and modern, cosmopolitan cities like Tokyo will be devastated.

The last thing North Korea wants is a shooting war with the US because they know they will lose and it will be the end of the dream of a unified, Marxist Korea (not to mention the fact that Kim Jong Un will be dead and that will be the end of the hereditary line). North Korea wants nuclear weapons as a deterrent against American attacks which they've been expecting since 1952 since technically a state of war between them and everyone else still exists.

Anyway you look at it, it's a mess. You don't really want a country like NK to have nukes, but the only way you're going to get them to give them up is to pry them out of their cold, dead fingers.

Putin is absolutely right. North Koreans have put up with privation for 70 years and yet devotion to Kim is fanatical, at least on the surface. Maybe the Americans should drop leaflets offering 1 Billion dollars to anyone who can bring them Kim's head.

Bsuds likes this post.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 756
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 647 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Merry » Sep 15th, 2017, 7:30 am

The choice is stark; either the world accepts that N Korea is going to become a nuclear power, or the world goes to war. There is no in between because, Putin is right, no sanctions or diplomatic actions are going to get N Korea to give up their nuclear program. We've been trying those methods for years, and it hasn't worked.

If the West wanted to use military action to stop N Korea developing nukes it should have acted years ago. Now it's too late to do that. So the only options left are to either accept it and move on, or go to war.

Nobody wants war (most likely not even N Korea) but nobody wants them to have nukes either. Because with an unstable leader such as Jong-un chances are they'll one day use those nukes to try and blackmail the rest of the world into giving them money as well as other kinds of help. And if they do that, and start to "overplay" that particular hand, we could end up with a war anyway.

It's a dilemma, that doesn't have a good outcome no matter which way the World decides to deal with it. But we all need to be honest and accept the fact that sanctions haven't worked in the past, and most likely won't work in the future.

Putin's right about that; N Koreans would rather eat grass than give in.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6801
Likes: 3643 posts
Liked in: 3599 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby gman313 » Sep 15th, 2017, 7:36 am

techrtr wrote:Problem is, if anyone moves against North Korea, they'll invade South Korea, launch missiles at Japan etc. Even with conventional weapons, millions of people will die and modern, cosmopolitan cities like Tokyo will be devastated.

The last thing North Korea wants is a shooting war with the US because they know they will lose and it will be the end of the dream of a unified, Marxist Korea (not to mention the fact that Kim Jong Un will be dead and that will be the end of the hereditary line). North Korea wants nuclear weapons as a deterrent against American attacks which they've been expecting since 1952 since technically a state of war between them and everyone else still exists.

Anyway you look at it, it's a mess. You don't really want a country like NK to have nukes, but the only way you're going to get them to give them up is to pry them out of their cold, dead fingers.

Putin is absolutely right. North Koreans have put up with privation for 70 years and yet devotion to Kim is fanatical, at least on the surface. Maybe the Americans should drop leaflets offering 1 Billion dollars to anyone who can bring them Kim's head.


See I think the US could have NK wiped out so fast it would make there heads spin and be long before NK could push LAUNCH
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2223
Likes: 822 posts
Liked in: 892 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Merry » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:22 am

gman313 wrote: I think the US could have NK wiped out so fast it would make there heads spin and be long before NK could push LAUNCH

Not very likely; N Korea would see any incoming missiles on radar and have lots of time to launch some of their own.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6801
Likes: 3643 posts
Liked in: 3599 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby gman313 » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:26 am

Merry wrote:
gman313 wrote: I think the US could have NK wiped out so fast it would make there heads spin and be long before NK could push LAUNCH

Not very likely; N Korea would see any incoming missiles on radar and have lots of time to launch some of their own.


See I still disagree. Pretty confident their bombers can fly under radar. a few well placed stealth bombers coordinating their attack could wipe out most of their military in no time.

A drone could easily pick up Kim as well.

ETA: no need to use ground based missile launchers.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2223
Likes: 822 posts
Liked in: 892 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby techrtr » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:35 am

gman313 wrote:
techrtr wrote:Problem is, if anyone moves against North Korea, they'll invade South Korea, launch missiles at Japan etc. Even with conventional weapons, millions of people will die and modern, cosmopolitan cities like Tokyo will be devastated.

The last thing North Korea wants is a shooting war with the US because they know they will lose and it will be the end of the dream of a unified, Marxist Korea (not to mention the fact that Kim Jong Un will be dead and that will be the end of the hereditary line). North Korea wants nuclear weapons as a deterrent against American attacks which they've been expecting since 1952 since technically a state of war between them and everyone else still exists.

Anyway you look at it, it's a mess. You don't really want a country like NK to have nukes, but the only way you're going to get them to give them up is to pry them out of their cold, dead fingers.

Putin is absolutely right. North Koreans have put up with privation for 70 years and yet devotion to Kim is fanatical, at least on the surface. Maybe the Americans should drop leaflets offering 1 Billion dollars to anyone who can bring them Kim's head.



See I think the US could have NK wiped out so fast it would make there heads spin and be long before NK could push LAUNCH


Not really, because if they nuke them, the fallout will destroy South Korea, Japan and other countries as well. A conventional attack will give NK plenty of time to retaliate. They are a small country but they have a huge and very well equipped military.
techrtr
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 756
Likes: 55 posts
Liked in: 647 posts
Joined: Jul 5th, 2005, 6:47 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby GordonH » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:43 am

Come February North Korean Leader will have about 90 Nations within 160 Kms or less from his southern border. As the 2018 Winter Olympic's happen Feb 9 to 25.
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18124
Likes: 1784 posts
Liked in: 5608 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Merry » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:52 am

The N Korean situation should provide a wake up call to all countries that we need to invest more in developing anti ballistic missile technology that will help protect us from attack should it ever become necessary.

Canada declined to participate in the U.S. program when George W Bush was President; we need to rethink that decision now, because a nuclear armed N Korea will be very unpredictable.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6801
Likes: 3643 posts
Liked in: 3599 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby gman313 » Sep 15th, 2017, 8:55 am

Merry wrote:The N Korean situation should provide a wake up call to all countries that we need to invest more in developing anti ballistic missile technology that will help protect us from attack should it ever become necessary.

Canada declined to participate in the U.S. program when George W Bush was President; we need to rethink that decision now, because a nuclear armed N Korea will be very unpredictable.


simply eliminate NK
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2223
Likes: 822 posts
Liked in: 892 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 7:03 pm

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Merry » Sep 15th, 2017, 9:12 am

gman313 wrote:simply eliminate NK

I'm sure that if the U.S. could do that without starting a third world war, or without massive loss of life in both S Korea and Japan, that they would try to eliminate NK. However, as they know that any attempt at elimination would likely lead to one or both of those unfortunate unintended consequences, the Americans hands are tied.

The best they (and the rest of the world) can do is build up their own defense capabilities and hope for the best.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6801
Likes: 3643 posts
Liked in: 3599 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Is Kim Jong-un the world's next Boogeyman?

Postby Even Steven » Sep 15th, 2017, 9:28 am

Very smart article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... e682b442c7

Kim Jong Un — smart and strategic?
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2122
Likes: 121 posts
Liked in: 1408 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 6:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron