What's wrong with the US Navy ?

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

What's wrong with the US Navy ?

Post by dogspoiler »

I have long held the belief that the US navy was one of the most professional organizations in the world in regards to ship operations. Lately it seems like they are operating a demolition derby. If the folks in North Korea wait a couple of years there may not be much of a threat from the US Navy unless they can fire their missiles from a drydock.
Best wishes for all the crews, families and friends affected by these incidents.
Black Dogs Matter
my5cents
Guru

Re: What's wrong with the US Navy ?

Post by my5cents »

dogspoiler wrote:I have long held the belief that the US navy was one of the most professional organizations in the world in regards to ship operations. Lately it seems like they are operating a demolition derby. If the folks in North Korea wait a couple of years there may not be much of a threat from the US Navy unless they can fire their missiles from a drydock.
Best wishes for all the crews, families and friends affected by these incidents.

Was thinking the same thing. CNN reported that this year there has been four incidents, I thought only two and that that was a lot.

I did know the US Navy is actually not cross trained a well as others. Many crew but each only knows their little part.

Scary.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

With all technology on US navy ships, now do they miss seeing a container cargo ship those are huge.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:With all technology on US navy ships, now do they miss seeing a container cargo ship those are huge.

Ya, they are huge, like,,,, the size of a cargo ship.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I think it has little to do with seeing other ships in front of you, but more to do with ships' captains attitude on whether or not the other ship should give way.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I think in the two most recent cases the other ship had the "right of weight"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Tanker ships & the cargo ships (including container) can't turn or stop on a dime. So it's up to smaller more movable ships to give way to these monster of the oceans.
Now if it had been US aircraft carrier & cargo ship then it's tossup who is bigger.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/papers/GPS/Johnson_Shea_Holloway_GPS.pdf

"Users often come to rely on GPS applications and, therefore, fail to notice when they develop faults or when errors occur in the other systems that use the data from these systems. Further accidents can stem from the ‘over confidence’ that arises when users assume automated warnings will be issued when they stray from an intended route."

That's a long winded way of saying that in navigation of a vessel, you should NOT rely completely on automated systems. GPS assisted sailboat groundings have been a long recognized phenomenon. Folks believe so much in the systems like chart plotters, that they either fail to, or even disbelieve old fashioned manual checks with compass bearings and charts.

Transport Canada still requires that vessels have paper charts... but a lot of small vessels just have them rolled up in a waterproof tube - and a lot of recreational users wouldn't know how to manually navigate these days.

So this tragedy may essentially boil down to that kind of thing. Younger sailors are likely to trust the GPS enabled systems more than their own eyes and pencil lines on a chart.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

hobbyguy wrote:http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~johnson/papers/GPS/Johnson_Shea_Holloway_GPS.pdf

"Users often come to rely on GPS applications and, therefore, fail to notice when they develop faults or when errors occur in the other systems that use the data from these systems. Further accidents can stem from the ‘over confidence’ that arises when users assume automated warnings will be issued when they stray from an intended route."

That's a long winded way of saying that in navigation of a vessel, you should NOT rely completely on automated systems. GPS assisted sailboat groundings have been a long recognized phenomenon. Folks believe so much in the systems like chart plotters, that they either fail to, or even disbelieve old fashioned manual checks with compass bearings and charts.

Transport Canada still requires that vessels have paper charts... but a lot of small vessels just have them rolled up in a waterproof tube - and a lot of recreational users wouldn't know how to manually navigate these days.

So this tragedy may essentially boil down to that kind of thing. Younger sailors are likely to trust the GPS enabled systems more than their own eyes and pencil lines on a chart.

US navy ships like most of big ships on the ocean have radar i.e surface radar (highly doubt they work with GPS to see what's coming)
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Old joke.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Maybe they are using Tesla's self driving tech.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

China Calls U.S. 'Arrogant' After Ship Collision

A Chinese state-run newspaper claimed Monday that the most recent collision of a U.S. Navy destroyer with a merchant ship was an example of the U.S.’ "arrogance" in conducting patrols in and around the South China Sea.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/chi ... &ocid=iehp
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

In the 4 incidents involving US navy, whomever is watching the radar is clearly poorly trained. To not see the ships heading in the direction of your own, speaks incompetents.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm curious as to the cost of repairs$
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Aug 22nd, 2017, 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Distracted driving in the worse way....seems to affect everyone. ( air Canada trying to land on a taxi-way with aircraft waiting..)
Again sailors were lost.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “World”