The more things change, the more they stay the same

ferri
Forum Administrator

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Post by ferri »

I'm reading a trilogy of historical novels about the Civil War right now. It's pretty darn interesting and it sure does show that nothing much changes in the world of politics. [icon_lol2.gif] Today I decided to do a little bit of research because I just couldn't get over the nasty things that were supposed to have been said about Abe Lincoln. :200:

'Idiot,' 'Yahoo,' 'Original Gorilla': How Lincoln Was Dissed in His Day

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... source=fbb
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: The more things change, the more they stay the same

Post by Urbane »

ferri wrote:I'm reading a trilogy of historical novels about the Civil War right now. It's pretty darn interesting and it sure does show that nothing much changes in the world of politics. [icon_lol2.gif] Today I decided to do a little bit of research because I just couldn't get over the nasty things that were supposed to have been said about Abe Lincoln. :200:

'Idiot,' 'Yahoo,' 'Original Gorilla': How Lincoln Was Dissed in His Day

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... source=fbb
Fascinating! Edward Everett's comments are interesting because after his speech at Gettysburg Lincoln felt that he had let people down and wrote to Edward Everett. Everett was known throughout the land as a great orator and at Gettysburg people applauded his speech loudly. Lincoln was up next and his speech, the now famous Gettysburg Address, managed only a smattering of applause.

Lincoln himself, and many pundits, were convinced he would lose the 1864 election:

Despite progress in the war, Lincoln and most political pundits were convinced that he would lose his bid for reelection in 1864. The country was war weary and the Democratic Party's nominee, George McClellan, was likely to negotiate a peace treaty with the Confederacy if elected.

Lincoln's colleagues within the Republican Party also had doubts about his reelection. In February 1864 newspapers printed a letter by Senator Samuel C. Pomeroy in which he argued that Lincoln could not win reelection and advocated nominating Salmon P. Chase for president.
https://www.loc.gov/teachers/classroomm ... tory7.html

Lincoln was so convinced that he would lose that he took steps to help the slaves after his forthcoming defeat. Of course the union side wasn't doing very well early in the war against the heavily out-manned Confederate forces and if not for a turnaround a few months before the election Lincoln would have lost. Sadly, he was assassinated just a few weeks after winning of course.

Your trilogy sounds interesting! Right up my alley.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

It's the one we talked about in the "Read any good books lately" thread. :D North and South by John Jakes. They really are fantastic books. Who knew there were even people that hated West Point and wanted it shut down? (I HATED history when i was in school. But I'm sure it had a lot to do with how it was taught.) :D
― Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/201 ... _is_i.html

alabamas take on civil war . they pretty much deny it had anything to do with slaves
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Slavery was part of it, but not all of it for sure. You still, to this day see tension between North and South.
― Albert Einstein
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

who knows what the answer can be . humans may have to accept some folks are racist and deal with them in a clear way
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

ferri wrote:It's the one we talked about in the "Read any good books lately" thread. :D North and South by John Jakes. They really are fantastic books. Who knew there were even people that hated West Point and wanted it shut down? (I HATED history when i was in school. But I'm sure it had a lot to do with how it was taught.) :D

I never read the books but I did watch the mini-series in the 80's that was based on the books. I also liked "The Blue and the Grey" as well. Patrick Swayze was in North and South IIRC, as the Confederate general Orrie Main. The one thing that hit home for me, being much younger back then, was how all of the generals and a lot of the officers knew each other and had fought today in Mexico and Texas.

If you really are bit by the Civil War bug, I strongly recommend the movie "Gettysburg" and also "Gods and Generals" too (both made by Ted Turner). "Shenandoah" with James Stewart is also worth watching.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I didn't watch the mini series because I figured it would bore me to tears. I'm still glad I didn't because I prefer having my nose in a book. lol (Or Kindle actually)

Orry Main and George Hazard. :) They met on the ship taking them to West Point. :D
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

This could easily be describing former President Obama:

Imagine all those critical voices from the 19th century as talking heads on cable television. Imagine the snap judgments, the slurs and put-downs that beset Lincoln magnified a million times over on social media. How many of us, in that din, would hear him clearly? His story illustrates that even greatness—let alone humbler qualities like skill, decency, good judgment, and courage—rarely goes unpunished.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “World”