Hurricane Harvey/Irma

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Hurricane Harvey

Post by rustled »

^^I hope they all stay safe, spooker.

It's difficult to imagine that much water, even after the flooding this spring (which we thought was pretty impressive.)

When we were in that area of Texas a couple of years ago, we were surprised how many homes (and other buildings) were at least a single story above ground. Several looked like they'd recently been raised. Some had "closed" the area below with lattice or fencing and used it for storage.

We wondered at the time if people had watched what happened with Katrina and decided to be proactive?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
spooker

Post by spooker »

rustled wrote:When we were in that area of Texas a couple of years ago, we were surprised how many homes (and other buildings) were at least a single story above ground. Several looked like they'd recently been raised. Some had "closed" the area below with lattice or fencing and used it for storage.

We wondered at the time if people had watched what happened with Katrina and decided to be proactive?

I lived there briefly in the 90's and that's been the style for decades for homes along the bayous and shores ... many times it's just a good place to park their cars and/or boats ... with the ground so wet they couldn't build a regular foundation or slab and this is a cheap way to allow piles to be driven as deep as possible to provide stability ... a friend's beach house with this styling in Matagorda was prepared for Harvey by just opening up all the doors and windows so that the house wasn't in as much danger of blowing over from the winds ...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's frightening what they are going through Spooker, how are their fresh water and food supplies keeping up? Is there a national guard rescuing people by now? :200:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

Queen K wrote:It's frightening what they are going through Spooker, how are their fresh water and food supplies keeping up? Is there a national guard rescuing people by now? :200:

My mom heard an airboat on the road nearby as it rescued someone this morning ... thankfully they have a good well which will still operate under water (sealed properly) as long as the water doesn't reach the electrical box (another 6 feet) ...

The call for anyone with an airboat or johnboat to handle rescue work has gone out ... plenty have responded thankfully and rescues are being done all over the place ... regular boats are being discouraged as the water can go too shallow quickly and it has a greater chance of screwing things up than being helpful

It's the animal food that might run out quickest ... 2 full size goldens on regular food plus a pitbull on a special diet ... then the 3 cats ... I'm hoping the neighbour's potbelly pig (named 'Bacon') is doing well as that neighbour wasn't able to get home before things hit ...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh God yes, the animals. This just seems to get worse and worse. Is the storm abating by now?

No, no it is not. Still more rain coming and the rescue boats are being rushed and shot at. Where is the logic in shooting at rescue boats? However, I am certain by now we are all praying for Spookers relatives and for them to be able to get out safely and quickly. More rain is expected and waters continue to rise.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/us/harvey ... index.html
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

Queen K wrote:Oh God yes, the animals. This just seems to get worse and worse. Is the storm abating by now?

No, no it is not. Still more rain coming and the rescue boats are being rushed and shot at. Where is the logic in shooting at rescue boats? However, I am certain by now we are all praying for Spookers relatives and for them to be able to get out safely and quickly. More rain is expected and waters continue to rise.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/28/us/harvey ... index.html

I see white and Black helping each other I guess this is what is needed to realize all life matters no time to talk about a 150 year old statue that nobody really cares about anyway I see real Southern Pride at work in Texas.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I suspect we're going to be seeing a lot of that in Texas this week.

(Btw, I'm not for removing statues).
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

From the facebook page Love What Matters.

Spooker, dogs are getting rescued/
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#205319

This is turning into one of America's worst human tragedies ever. Two dams? And a levee? Trump had better have a good game plan.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-205319-5-.htm#205319

This is turning into one of America's worst human tragedies ever. Two dams? And a levee? Trump had better have a good game plan.

can't do much with a huge flat city only 15 metres above sea level. This is going to be a recurring and frequent problem for cities close to the ocean
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.mediaite.com/online/ann-cou ... te-change/

ann coulter , the alt rights queen bee declares harvey was the result of houston electing a lesbian mayor :200:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh yes, because science is too hard for her.

Return to “World”