Terrorism charges in the U.K.

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Terrorism charges in the U.K.

Post by maryjane48 »

Alexander Deakin, 22, Mikko Vehvilainen, 32, and Mark Barrett, 24, have been charged with being members of National Action.
It was the first far-right group to be banned by the Home Office in 2016.
They are among five men arrested on 5 September. Two others have since been released without charge.
Arrests 'intelligence-led'
Mr Deakin from Birmingham, Mr Vehvilainen, based at Sennybridge Camp in Brecon, and Mr Barrett, based at Dhekelia Garrison in Cyprus, will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41234539
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Terrorism charges in the U.K.

Post by maryjane48 »

will canada start to ban right groups like uk ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

good for them for catching these crazy far right guys, too bad they are doing nothing to stop far left groups and muslims going around the streets of london preaching hate https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1860967/r ... nny-jeans/ these types of guys are all over london
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

the truth wrote:good for them for catching these crazy far right guys, too bad they are doing nothing to stop far left groups and muslims going around the streets of london preaching hate https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1860967/r ... nny-jeans/ these types of guys are all over london

Um...the very link you posted talks about them arresting the person....so where does your "too bad they are doing nothing to stop muslims preaching hate" come from?
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

While I applaud arresting people for committing acts of violence during a protest, or intimidating people and/or posting things designed to incite hate, I have mixed feelings about arresting people for merely being a member of an unpopular political group. Because who gets to decide which groups should be on the banned list?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly there are muslims all over london streets preaching hate and almost all are not arrested-why----
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Omnitheo wrote:
the truth wrote:good for them for catching these crazy far right guys, too bad they are doing nothing to stop far left groups and muslims going around the streets of london preaching hate https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/1860967/r ... nny-jeans/ these types of guys are all over london

Um...the very link you posted talks about them arresting the person....so where does your "too bad they are doing nothing to stop muslims preaching hate" come from?

my point is these guys are all over london and almost non get arrested-why--- because they pull the muslim free speech crap
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Free speech does not extend to hate speech.
If they are preaching hatred, I would expect them to receive the same treatment as the person in the link you shared.

Now if only the same could be done with those Christian street preachers in Vegas who told me I was going to suffer eternal damnation burning in hell. Such lovely folks.

Here's some info on UK hate speech laws

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_sp ... ed_Kingdom
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Omnitheo wrote:Free speech does not extend to hate speech.
If they are preaching hatred, I would expect them to receive the same treatment as the person in the link you shared.

Now if only the same could be done with those Christian street preachers in Vegas who told me I was going to suffer eternal damnation burning in hell. Such lovely folks.

Here's some info on UK hate speech laws

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_sp ... ed_Kingdom

your telling me these muslims are not preaching hate , give me a break
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Merry wrote:While I applaud arresting people for committing acts of violence during a protest, or intimidating people and/or posting things designed to incite hate, I have mixed feelings about arresting people for merely being a member of an unpopular political group. Because who gets to decide which groups should be on the banned list?

I have no problem with banning right groups that incite hate, violence,hate publications etc.
There is a line when it comes to freedoms, Canada's participated in wars against this crap, and suffered major losses as a result.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Unfortunately we can find people in ALL cultures, of EVERY religious and ethnic stripe, that can be said to hate people who are not like themselves. But that doesn't mean that EVERYBODY in each of those groups feels like that.

It's the human tendency to "tar everyone with the same brush" that often leads to all the problems. We have to recognize that people, ALL people, are individuals who don't necessarily think and act exactly like their neighbour (or how their government or religion tells them to).

Once we acknowledge that fact, we'll be more able to deal with those individuals who incite hate.
Last edited by Merry on Sep 14th, 2017, 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

jimmy4321 wrote:I have no problem with banning right groups that incite hate, violence,hate publications etc.
There is a line when it comes to freedoms, Canada's participated in wars against this crap, and suffered major losses as a result.

It's odd that you would single out "right" groups without making mention of "left" groups (and all the many extremist groups that might fall somewhere in between those two).

Violence and hate is bad, regardless of the particular political or religious leanings of those who incite it.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I focus on right cause we've been down that road several times before.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

jimmy4321 wrote:I focus on right cause we've been down that road several times before.

Yes, there have been a lot of "right" groups that have been guilty of hate speech and violent acts. But history shows us there have been a lot of other groups guilty of such behaviour as well. It's just that at this point in time the "right" groups tend to get the most media coverage; but that doesn't mean the other groups don't exist.

Return to “World”