Math is racist

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Math is racist

Post by Glacier »

* Gutierrez worries that algebra and geometry perpetuate privilege because "emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi" give the impression that math "was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans."

*She also worries that evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than their white counterparts.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10005
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Math is racist

Post by Queen K »

:dash: unfrikken believable.

An entire book on this dreck? Seriously now? This isn't the Onion or something worse?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Stupid people sure are annoying.

I will crown her Queen and let her rule over all the lands however if she simply tells me the last digit of good old racist Pi.

edit to add: Math isn't racist, it simply is. 2+2=4. that's is, I didn't need to be defend by antifa or the KKK to know it was 4 I have enough fingers to sort this one out.

However when one becomes unknown and failed in their field I suppose they write a book to try to exploit their own heritage and call their chosen field racist since they aren't going anywhere and really desire any notoriety and no one wants to read their cat posting on facebook. Maybe if she was worth anything in her field we would be discussing the Gutierrez Principle instead of the Gutierrez idiot.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:* Gutierrez worries that algebra and geometry perpetuate privilege because "emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi" give the impression that math "was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans."

*She also worries that evaluations of math skills can perpetuate discrimination against minorities, especially if they do worse than their white counterparts.

what about Asian counter-parts?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis wrote:Stupid people sure are annoying.

I will crown her Queen and let her rule over all the lands however if she simply tells me the last digit of good old racist Pi.

edit to add: Math isn't racist, it simply is. 2+2=4. that's is, I didn't need to be defend by antifa or the KKK to know it was 4 I have enough fingers to sort this one out.

However when one becomes unknown and failed in their field I suppose they write a book to try to exploit their own heritage and call their chosen field racist since they aren't going anywhere and really desire any notoriety and no one wants to read their cat posting on facebook. Maybe if she was worth anything in her field we would be discussing the Gutierrez Principle instead of the Gutierrez idiot.

How about if she simply tells us the book and thesis in it was a joke and apologizes for all the trees that died making the paper it's printed on?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Glacier wrote:* Gutierrez worries that algebra and geometry perpetuate privilege because "emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi" give the impression that math "was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans."

what about Asian counter-parts?

Asians are really white supremacists in disguise. https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/exkd ... -supremacy
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What a minute Dizzy, is that gif for Glacier's post right above or his OP?

@Glacier, I read the "Asians are White Supremists in Disquise" article and gleaned out of it that as long as the Black community is being bootjacked to the throat and not Asians, the Asians are happy to keep their heads down and all inequalities happen as long as Asians are able to keep earning and living without anyone noticing them. Of course the stereotype of an Asian comes with a built in belief that they are math whizzes, naturals. No bank ad on tv is complete without an Asian actor telling us how happy they are with Such and Such banking services and if an Asian says it, it must be a smart choice.

That math is racist is irrelevant until one sees the movie "Hidden Figures" and wonders why it took freaking decades for the fact that black women worked as computers before Fortran was invented. And with computers after Fortran was invented.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Queen K wrote:What a minute Dizzy, is that gif for Glacier's post right above or his OP?

Its for the whole "racist" and "discrimination" culture in general that we've created :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ah yes, the whole race card thing that was created. I have story about that but not now, I'm going back to bed.

Night.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Queen K wrote:
That math is racist is irrelevant until one sees the movie "Hidden Figures" and wonders why it took freaking decades for the fact that black women worked as computers before Fortran was invented. And with computers after Fortran was invented.

not sure what you mean with this sentence. Do you mean why did it take decades to make the movie about these women? I really liked that movie, that's for sure. Not sure math was to blame for the racism that was clearly demonstrated in that movie. That being said, if you read the actual history, a lot of what they depict in that movie never happened, including the one character having to run to the other side of the campus to go to the bathroom. But it made for good dramatic effect.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness. Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White,” Gutierrez argued."

I was thinking of this part of the quote "who is capable of doing math" and thinking of the movie's heroines being recognized early in life for further encouragement and educational opportunities in math.

How many are not recognized or encouraged to develop their math skills due to attitudes that math operates as Whiteness?
Retrosnap
Board Meister

Post by Retrosnap »

Not entirely related, but relevant nonetheless, imo.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/bret-st ... discomfort

That is the real crux of Zimmer’s case for free speech: Not that it’s necessary for democracy (strictly speaking, it isn’t), but because it’s our salvation from intellectual mediocrity and social ossification. In a speech in July, he addressed the notion that unfettered free speech could set back the cause of “inclusion” because it risked upsetting members of a community.

“Inclusion into what?” Zimmer wondered. “An inferior and less challenging education? One that fails to prepare students for the challenge of different ideas and the evaluation of their own assumptions? A world in which their feelings take precedence over other matters that need to be confronted?”
35mm photography is a job, medium format is a skill, large format is a way of life.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I believe that is exactly where this thread should be going Retrosnap.

After we've all posted that:

1. She's over reaching in academia to make her mark as a professor, and
2. Math is inclusive to all

where else is there to go?

Her cat's posts? Veovis was all over that one.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Algebra is a latin variant of an Arabic word Al-jabr. Originated out of Bhagdad in 825AD. So many people hate Algebra is probably why we bombed Iraq.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “World”