Jones closing gap to Moore

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Jones closing gap to Moore

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:
Keith Duhaime wrote:Yes, Franken did wrong. But put both Moore and Franken in the Big House in general population though, and who do you think would get the worst of it?

Conservative blogger, Matt Walsh, says the allegations against Moore are worse: https://twitter.com/MattJena83/status/9 ... 8316410880

Verum wrote:Not all right are anti-semites, that's more the reserve of the far-right, and he has shown a lot in common with the right, such as dismissing main-stream media, Islamophobia, supporting Trump, claiming to be pro-liberty, but being homophobic, etc. Yes, I know it's a stretch to call him right, but it certainly isn't to suggest that he appeals to many who are so and I suspect he does so knowingly and intentionally.

Fair enough, I find the definition of "right" are to nail down. I would take issue with you labelling Klavan as a homophobe though since he's pretty liberal about sex and has never opposed gay rights.

I thought he was against same-sex marriage and frequently used the term f** to refer to gay people. I could be mistaken and if so, I admit I am wrong and apologise to Klavan (not that he would care, I'm sure) for besmirching his name so.

Yes, right is hard to nail down, not least because more and more the right is becoming the mainstream right, in the same way that today's Republicans have largely embraced the Tea-Partiers of the past few years. Basically, the fringe right of years ago is no longer fringe and therefore no longer "alternative" in the US. I suspect it is so elsewhere too. We really do, as a society, need to stop looking at things as right and left, but also bring in other aspects, such as authoritarian/liberal, science support/science questioning, forward looking/traditionalists, etc. It may make the political discussion more complicated, but we need greater nuance than right/left since it is failing us terribly.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Verum wrote:It is still a damning indictment of the Republican party of today, Trump and those who continue to support both Trump and Moore that this is the case. It may be true that the Democrat supporters are similarly blindly loyal, I don't know, but I have to admit that I used to think better of the Republican party and now I just think they are morally bankrupt.

My favorite conservative magazine agrees with you. They call Roy Moore a sleaze as they have Trump for a couple years now.

Here's another article: Roy Moore and the Decline of the Conservative Mind

Despite the pleas of a number of conservative thought leaders, tomorrow many Alabama Republicans will probably cast a vote for a conspiracy theorist and accused child molester. A year ago, the American people voted into the office of the presidency a man with no experience as a politician but plenty as a womanizer, Twitter troll, and narcissistic celebrity. And before you respond “but Hillary,” remember that Trump won the Republican nomination against a diverse buffet of actual conservatives. Many rightly worry about the long-term consequences of conservatives’ supporting leaders such as Trump and Moore in the service of short-term political victories. But the future of American conservatism is uncertain for reasons beyond the Republican party’s current existential crisis.

I’ve frequently heard the argument that changing racial and ethnic demographics are the biggest threat to conservatism in America. I find this position unconvincing. There is no inherent connection between these demographic variables and ideology. In fact, minority groups are often more conservative than white European Americans. The biggest threats to conservatism are psychological, not demographic, trends.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Moores a pedo .way beyond sleeze
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Voting irregularities in alabama

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =513223398

Worth the read
Sounds like hocky pokey going on there
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When you start believing News on Facebook then you have a real problem!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:When you start believing News on Facebook then you have a real problem!

It's almost as bad as Castanet.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Americans are the dumbest folks on Earth. They elected Trump, and they WILL elect Moore. Disgusting.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Jones won!

Suck it sex predators
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

From what I see it's too close to call at the present.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Even Fox News and my right wing feeds have called it
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

So Trump backed Luther Strange in the Republican run-off, and Moore won. Then Trump flip-flops and backs Moore in the election, and Moore lost.
My question is, did Trump the sexual deviant slip Moore the kiddie-chaser any tongue when he gave him the kiss of death?
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:From what I see it's too close to call at the present.

Democrat Doug Jones ekes out win over controversial Republican Roy Moore

It was the first Democratic Senate victory in a quarter-century in Alabama, one of the reddest of red states, and proved anew that party loyalty is anything but sure in the age of Trump.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017 ... oters.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Glad Jones won.

Floodgates opening?

Sad that almost 50% voted for a pedophile.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

j watson wrote:Americans are the dumbest folks on Earth. They elected Trump, and they WILL elect Moore. Disgusting.

Doubt it. Sex scandals hurt candidates more in conservative states than liberal states for oblivious reasons.
- Douglas Murray
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:
j watson wrote:Americans are the dumbest folks on Earth. They elected Trump, and they WILL elect Moore. Disgusting.

Doubt it. Sex scandals hurt candidates more in conservative states than liberal states for oblivious reasons.

Have you evidence of this?
They certainly didn't hurt Trump all that much, and he was accused of raping a young girl, and this is a tiny margin to lose by. According to a Fox News poll, only 39% actually believed the women accusing Moore were telling the truth, vs 33% who felt that the allegations of sexual misconduct were not true. That shows a huge willingness to deny the much more likely reality, that at least some of these allegations are true. This was especially true among Republican supporters at 13% to 60% and particularly Moore supporters at 6% vs. 70%. Basically, it seems that Republicans and "conservatives" are less willing to believe likely victims of an abuser than liberals who, when given every reason to support their own, still show a willingness to support victims first, as Al Franken discovered to his cost. And he had far fewer allegations and the victims weren't girls, but were adult women. Not that that makes it okay, but it is clear that as bad as Franken was, he isn't in the same league as Moore. Ultimately, I suspect that Liberal states would be far less forgiving of a candidate, where Republican/conservative states will be more forgiving with the usual excuses of "boys will be boys", "it's only locker-room talk" and such when their candidate displays such egregious attitudes and behaviour towards their victims. Sad to say, it is the liberals and Democrats who are the ones taking the moral high-ground these days.

Return to “World”