Protest double standards

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Protest double standards

Post by Verum »

fvkasm2x wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/30/world/iran-protests-issues/index.html

Where are all the vagina hats and protests in solidarity for Iranian women?

People are dying over there in protests and women are being brave enough to challenge the oppression of women by going out uncovered.

After Trump was elected, hundreds of thousands... maybe even millions, took to the streets to "protest sexism." Equal rights and gender equality! Sexual harassment and equal pay!

Crickets now though... do Americans only support causes that affect them?
Or was that just a stunt because they were angry at the vote?

Your post is simple whataboutery deflection. Women in the US protesting in the US about Iran will have little effect. Additionally, people are entitled to have whatever cause they wish. If someone wants to protest against Trump's obvious sexism, that's up to them. They do not owe it to anyone else to protest for a different cause, even if you personally feel it is more worthy. Most people only support causes which directly affect themselves and not others and that is their choice.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

*Opens up the queue and gets ready to add names... :biggrin:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

The Green Barbarian wrote:yes. Leftists. Which is the point of this thread

The opening post says nothing about leftists.

Plenty of people protest everything including the treatment of women in Iran. Just because you guys haven't seen thousands of people marching or congregating doesn't mean protests aren't occurring.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Verum wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:Yes i steer clear of fake news. I prefer zero hedge. Breitbart. The Corbett report. Etc. Lots of independant media out there not thumping the Soros bible

You steer clear of fake news by preferring fake news?
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/breitbart/
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/zero-hedge/
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-corbett-report/

Meh. Cnn didnt do so well either according to these guys. As i thought all tge media is bs
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

HorganIsMyHero wrote: Plenty of people protest everything including the treatment of women in Iran. Just because you guys haven't seen thousands of people marching or congregating doesn't mean protests aren't occurring.

You have to read or watch at least some news if you want to know what is going on around the world. Despite the misguided adoration, Trump doesn't know everything, and if you’re depending on Zero Hedge, Breitbart, The Corbett report and tweats from Trump for your information, you are going to be woefully misinformed. There are other sources than CNN and Fox, and people with some ability to think critically will challenge themselves and seek information from a variety of sources.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Edit: not worth it.
Last edited by Poindexter on Jan 3rd, 2018, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Ka-El wrote:You have to read or watch at least some news if you want to know what is going on around the world. Despite the misguided adoration, Trump doesn't know everything, and if you’re depending on Zero Hedge, Breitbart, The Corbett report and tweats from Trump for your information, you are going to be woefully misinformed. There are other sources than CNN and Fox, and people with some ability to think critically will challenge themselves and seek information from a variety of sources.

Watching or reading a variety of news sources is obviously great but it's also possible to check social media sites to see what protests are being organized or even lectures open to the public at UBC Okanagan about specific issues and the ensuing discussions that happen after.

News sites generally don't report on protests unless there are thousands of people involved or the protest is fascinating in some way.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I don't think it's a real double standard. People only pay attention to what's close to home. In the Middle East, we have a never-ending war going on, hundreds die every day and nobody really knows about it outside of some headlines here and there.

But when terrorists strike Paris - everybody starts paying attention, changing their Facebook pictures in support, and cry publicly about it. Yet in Paris, less people died than a number of people dying every single day in Syria.

Where's the outcry? Nowhere to be found.

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Jflem1983 wrote:

Meh. Cnn didnt do so well either according to these guys. As i thought all tge media is bs

Yes, CNN is also a poor news source, though not quite into the conspiracy theory end of things like two of the above. Personally, I frequent the likes of BBC, Gallup, Quartz, WSJ, The Economist, Euronews and Al Jazeera for mainstream news.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Lots of bs on breitbart all the time. It is funny tho.
Corbett i was a little surprised they call him a right wing guy. He doesnt seem very right wing.

I kinda like that site u pointed out. I will do some poking around on it
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

I take that back. Says cbc is slight to moderately liberal bias. LOL . And my uncle is Donald Duck

Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jflem1983 wrote: And my uncle is Donald Duck

That explains a lot :biggrin:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Jflem1983 wrote:I take that back. Says cbc is slight to moderately liberal bias. LOL . And my uncle is Donald Duck

It's not perfect, far from it in fact, but maybe you are seeing a reflection of your own biases rather than the media itself. Your previously mentioned sources suggest a rather strong right bias, so maybe something centrist will seem left biased, and something slightly left will seem very left, etc.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Poindexter wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:

Leftists only support causes they are told to support. Basically sheep. Like these sheep at Berkeley:

Check every right wing echo chamber and this story about feminists is the hottest topic. Think it's pretty obvious who the sheep are?

Well as someone sane that prefers the middle ground, I think all you left wing liberals are insane and the right wing conservatives are brain dead.

It's a lonely world in the middle

Verum wrote:Your post is simple whataboutery deflection. Women in the US protesting in the US about Iran will have little effect. Additionally, people are entitled to have whatever cause they wish. If someone wants to protest against Trump's obvious sexism, that's up to them. They do not owe it to anyone else to protest for a different cause, even if you personally feel it is more worthy. Most people only support causes which directly affect themselves and not others and that is their choice.

Oh really? So the Canadians who drove/flew down to join in protests were really impacted by Trump?

The candlelight vigils for Paris and London terrorism attacks happened all over US and Canada because so many of us were affected by those attacks?

Pretty sure that Islam, the Iranian government and other things overseas have impacted women's rights in America far worse than Trump has. I'd bet that every single immigrant in America (white, brown and black) had more concerns with women's rights BEFORE they came to America so they know first hand how women are treated in Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe

Most people only support causes that affect themselves? Then why were so many men involved in the protests?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fvkasm2x wrote: Well as someone sane that prefers the middle ground, I think all you left wing liberals are insane and the right wing conservatives are brain dead.

It's a lonely world in the middle

Oh no, it’s fun. It's a hoot. You get called left-wing by the right and right-wing by the left and neither wants to engage in debate with just sensible argument and fact. If you give certain posters a chance though, you will find you are hardly alone in the middle. I suspect there are more than a few of us swing voters here on this board, and I could name more than a few, but I’ll let them speak for themselves. Myself, I have no partisan loyalties (have voted NDP, Liberal, Conservative and "other") and consider myself to be a centrist leaning slightly toward the left. Ironically though, every time I complete one of those political spectrum surveys I end up plotted slightly right of the center line. Go figure. Anyways, anytime I get labelled I just chalk it up to that posters inability to consider contradicting ideas without getting so defensive their brains blow up. That's fun too.

Return to “World”