Missile Strike Warning, Hawaii

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Missile Strike Warning, Hawaii

Post by TreeGuy »

TreeGuy wrote:How long did it take for them to call it off and for people to know it was a mistake?

A lot of family vacations ruined, possible lawsuits?

PTSD causing?

087B5D94-3199-4C2D-93FD-AE101FF3CE5F.png

dle wrote:You know - I think this cartoon character actually does bear a a physical resemblance to both both DT and KJU!

It’s their love child.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Hawaii false missile alert: FCC to open probe into mistaken warning

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ha ... ng-n837536
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm surprised there wasn't any reports of accidents or violence related to it. I heard they had 15min to kiss their *bleep* goodbye as a N Korean nuke is really what the latest threat is, regardless of how realistic that actually is.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jimmy4321 wrote:I'm surprised there wasn't any reports of accidents or violence related to it. I heard they had 15min to kiss their *bleep* goodbye as a N Korean nuke is really what the latest threat is, regardless of how realistic that actually is.

More then likely US has something even better then what they gave to Israel in Iron Dome (missile defense system). Protecting every part of US
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

True , but considering the source of the text it would have lead people to beleive it failed even for those confident in the US defence.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

jimmy4321 wrote:True , but considering the source of the text it would have lead people to beleive it failed even for those confident in the US defence.

I suspect that text would still be sent out in the event of an actual missile attack, even though US missile defense had shot it down.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

TreeGuy wrote:How long did it take for them to call it off and for people to know it was a mistake?

A lot of family vacations ruined, possible lawsuits?

PTSD causing?

087B5D94-3199-4C2D-93FD-AE101FF3CE5F.png

https://gizmodo.com/hawaii-alert-system ... 1822055617

Per CNBC, residents could be seen fleeing for safety after the alert went out, while some locals received frantic messages from loved ones urging them to take shelter. Although officials sent another message to locals informing them of the error, they did so only 38 minutes later, compounding the mistake and leaving many Hawaiians hiding in cover for the duration.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:I think it was a test to see how the general population would react in real time.

Not an accident at all. Planned.

Agreed, and so do a lot of people. Does anyone honestly think that it's that easy to accidentally push a button like that?

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Apparently the emergency test system has been undergoing tests for some time and people were told this would happen back to November. Emergency notifications include various different forms of medium such as cell towers, sirens, TV, radio, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-attack-sirens-blare-across-state-first-time-since-cold-war/

The incident in question only sent a message to people’s cellphones. There were no accompanying sirens, radio, or TV broadcasts alerting citizens so, if you’re the type of person who doesn’t sleep with their phone, or doesn’t have a cellphone, you may not have known anything happened at 8am on a sleep-in day, lol.

I don’t think a test should be misrepresented, otherwise you’d be calling wolf, which may also have its drawbacks.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

The link I provided said there were tv interruptions
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

This link also says radio. There were no sirens from what I can tell.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3963482/ballistic-missile-alert-hawaii/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Although the alarm system in Hawaii farted and caused havoc, at least there IS a prewarning in existence.

Here in Canada, do we have any type of alarm other than word of mouth? :200:

I recall years ago that CBC radio had something or other, maybe it was the high noon set your watches yelp, memory faulty there.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Interesting - most of the news reports say there was TV and radio interruptions. But Lynn Colliar (from Global BC) who is in Hawaii said otherwise:

Lynn ColliarVerified account
@LynnColliar
Jan 13
More Lynn Colliar Retweeted Mark J. Westpfahl
Still nothing on local Radio or TV - no sirens either.

Lynn Colliar‏Verified account
@LynnColliar
Follow Follow @LynnColliar
More Lynn Colliar Retweeted Amichai Stein
I'm in Hawaii - got the text - no sirens, no reaction or explanation on local TV or Radio
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Catsumi wrote:Although the alarm system in Hawaii farted and caused havoc, at least there IS a prewarning in existence.

Here in Canada, do we have any type of alarm other than word of mouth? :200:

I recall years ago that CBC radio had something or other, maybe it was the high noon set your watches yelp, memory faulty there.

If memory serves me, I remember there being a huge siren in the Apple Bowl area. Of course that was many years ago (shortly after moving here in mid 80s). Haven't seen or heard it since then.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

There were a few 'air raid sirens" in different locales in Saskatoon.
I remember them blasting on occasion to test. Very, very LOUD !

Doing a little research and seems info on them is....sparse...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “World”