Missile Strike Warning, Hawaii

Jlabute
Guru

Re: Missile Strike Warning, Hawaii

Post by Jlabute »

Yup, global reporter Lynn Colliar who was in Hawaii, says she did not see anything on TV. Perhaps as people try to push out news as fast as they can, they make assumptions. As I had said, unless you sleep with your cellphone(and TV and radio), you may have missed the panic.

https://globalnews.ca/news/3963635/hawaii-false-missile-alert-lynn-colliar/
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Glacier wrote:
Queen K wrote:I think it was a test to see how the general population would react in real time.

Not an accident at all. Planned.

Agreed, and so do a lot of people. Does anyone honestly think that it's that easy to accidentally push a button like that?

I don't think it's just a button sitting in the open that someone could just brush up against so to speak so no, but I read they have been mucking about with the system and they haven't ironed out the kinks. Things weren't working as usual so maybe that contributed to the incident.

I'm still of the mind that it wasn't a planned "people reaction test drive" - I agree with the person who posted if they did stuff like that then if something really happened people would tend to ignore it at first because they had "called wolf" before. It's like a fire alarm in an apartment, sometimes they do so many fire drills, even though they are scheduled, that when it goes off in the daytime some people tend to ignore it because they think it's another drill.

If they were mucking about with a surprise test run, then that could lead me to believe they feel a strike could be imminent and aren't telling people about it because of potential panic.

I hope they get to the bottom of it pronto one way or the other before there are a bunch of conspiracy theories and "fake news" reports though - seems to be the thing these days!

Maybe the system was hacked.....by ET.... :138:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

dirtybiker wrote:There were a few 'air raid sirens" in different locales in Saskatoon.
I remember them blasting on occasion to test. Very, very LOUD !

Doing a little research and seems info on them is....sparse...

Yes, you are right! Now I do remember those loud sirens going off periodically. Went to King George grade school, seems it was fairly close to that area. They were a part of life and everyone except the dogs ignored them.

What was the purpose? Was it a hangover from WW2? Was it because Saskatoon had an airfield (pre airport days) and army (?) personnel stationed there? A mystery now but who thought to question it back then?

My question as to what kind of warning system we have is still unanswered. Chanting, foot stomping, shouting, semaphore ? Do we just "wing" it when the event is in its way?

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

It appears others were also wondering about if we had a warning system or not. CBC news just announced that yes, we do. There is an "over-ride" system so that alerts can be sent over TV and Radio.

If you're out fishing, relax, you'll never guess what just landed.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Jlabute wrote:Apparently the emergency test system has been undergoing tests for some time and people were told this would happen back to November. Emergency notifications include various different forms of medium such as cell towers, sirens, TV, radio, etc.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hawaii-attack-sirens-blare-across-state-first-time-since-cold-war/

The incident in question only sent a message to people’s cellphones. There were no accompanying sirens, radio, or TV broadcasts alerting citizens so, if you’re the type of person who doesn’t sleep with their phone, or doesn’t have a cellphone, you may not have known anything happened at 8am on a sleep-in day, lol.

I don’t think a test should be misrepresented, otherwise you’d be calling wolf, which may also have its drawbacks.

Not true. There were sirens and there was local TV news reports.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

The Governor stated that it was human error and that it happened at shift change. There were procedures that were not followed which resulted in the false alarm.

What everybody is ticked off about is that it took 38 minutes to call it off.

I have friends who are vacationing there and he sent me screen shots of the text warnings they received.

I wasn't sure what to make of them when I saw them. I laughed after because he told me his wife was a mess and his reaction was to go stare at the ocean and have a couple of drinks. That's the Canadian way.

I'm getting one of these.

missile.PNG
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Omigod, we all want one now. ^^

:130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

mexi cali wrote:The Governor stated that it was human error and that it happened at shift change. There were procedures that were not followed which resulted in the false alarm.

What everybody is ticked off about is that it took 38 minutes to call it off.

I have friends who are vacationing there and he sent me screen shots of the text warnings they received.

I wasn't sure what to make of them when I saw them. I laughed after because he told me his wife was a mess and his reaction was to go stare at the ocean and have a couple of drinks. That's the Canadian way.

I'm getting one of these.

The attachment missile.PNG is no longer available

Did anyone notice that Maui Hawaii looks a lot like.....

images.jpeg

Maybe its just me.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

"Vacations ruined. Possible lawsuits."

Starving millions around the world aren't sure if they're going to have anything for supper tonight and a 38 minute false alarm "ruins" a vacation to an area that an Asian dictator boasts he can nuke. Spoiled rotten.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

bob vernon wrote:"Vacations ruined. Possible lawsuits."

Starving millions around the world aren't sure if they're going to have anything for supper tonight and a 38 minute false alarm "ruins" a vacation to an area that an Asian dictator boasts he can nuke. Spoiled rotten.

:200: Seriously, a law firm is actually contemplating taking this on as a serious lawsuit? Class Action maybe?

I am so disappointed with the human detritious that makes up the psychopathic genetic make up lawyers as it is, nevermind this.

The only reason this is even an article is because some lawyer has encouraged this as a "winnable" case. Pathetic, so pathetic that there is no English word printable on the main forum here to describe this behaviour.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

It was an accident but it had excellent fall out " pun there ". Emergency systems like this are largely unused and untested. The powers that be will learn a lot from what people did and did not do, available resources and lack of same, and improvements. These findings will also be shared with many others. An incident like this can result in beneficial changes to the emergency systems.
Black Dogs Matter
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I would see it as an adventire experienced and survived. Legal action would not enter my mind. Shiit happens. Everyone survived and life marches on.

My concern would be that if this ever becoesm real, there will be many whow will be slow to react.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Why bother, not like crawling under the bed with a pillow over your
head is going to save ya..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

dogspoiler wrote:It was an accident but it had excellent fall out " pun there ". Emergency systems like this are largely unused and untested. The powers that be will learn a lot from what people did and did not do, available resources and lack of same, and improvements. These findings will also be shared with many others. An incident like this can result in beneficial changes to the emergency systems.

I don't think it was an "accident" at all. Some political body wanted the bolded out parts of your paragraph and there was only one way to get it.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

dogspoiler wrote:It was an accident but it had excellent fall out " pun there ". Emergency systems like this are largely unused and untested. The powers that be will learn a lot from what people did and did not do, available resources and lack of same, and improvements. These findings will also be shared with many others. An incident like this can result in beneficial changes to the emergency systems.

One thing I have heard mentioned more than once from people staying in hotels was that when they went downstairs in a panic to find out from hotel staff what to do, there was no one to be found! The staff had all galloped off so they had no idea where to go or what any procedures would be. That is certainly something that could be worked into the hotel "staff procedures manual" at some places!

Like you say, there are always lessons to be learned from any type of "incident" - with the way those 2 numbnuts who are running N. Korea and the US are chest-bumping and have the measuring tapes out these days, I wouldn't blame a single soul for thinking "this is it".

If it was a planned "test" - I'd probably be right in that class action lawsuit - in the event injury or illness resulted from it. PTSD will probably be one of the claims. However, if it is, as stated, human error, and no damage done other than to my chewed off fingernails, well hopefully I'd recognize that's what we humans are best at so I'd just be thanking my lucky stars and hopefully moving on - a little wiser maybe as what to do in the event of.... but just happy to be literally moving.

Return to “World”