Amazon Go

Amazon Go

Postby Smurf » Jan 23rd, 2018, 5:50 am

https://globalnews.ca/video/3980905/no- ... tail-store

https://www.amazon.com/b?node=16008589011

If we think we have employment, minimum wage and other problems now, wait till these babies get into full swing. They claim the cashiers etc are working in other areas like stalking shelves, baking, packaging etc but to me that is hard to believe as most of those positions already exist. How long will it be before they figure out a way to cut those jobs to. Does anyone believe that it is a coincidence that this store opened in Seattle where minimum wages have been raised and it is causing problems.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/na ... 431424001/

Governments may not be able to properly solve problems but business will. If wages become too high they will cut hours, cut employees, use robots and even close their doors if necessary. I have been talking to two couples from the Seattle area about the minimum wages and they both agree there were a lot of job losses and hours cut on the bottom end of the scale hurting those who can least afford it. The people working are now expected to work harder and do more for the bigger bucks. Time will tell but I'm sure this is not going to help our poverty problems.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 4832 posts

Re: Amazon Go

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 23rd, 2018, 5:53 am

Automation is going to occur regardless of what the minimum wage is. As for Amazon they’ve also opened up new call centres employing thousands.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

jimmy4321 likes this post.
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2620 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 23rd, 2018, 6:02 am

Is it not enough that governments have "Make Work" positions or projects?
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1475 posts

Postby JLives » Jan 23rd, 2018, 6:38 am

We're going to have to rethink employment and the social contract. Driving jobs will be obsolete soon too. We can't stop progress, we have to adapt.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

3 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5374 posts

Postby Even Steven » Jan 23rd, 2018, 8:53 am

What's the point of a store that has no cashiers or stockboys where you have to get everything yourself...If all you have to do is order it on Amazon and it will be at your door next day?
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1692 posts

Postby Evan » Jan 23rd, 2018, 1:17 pm

Even Steven wrote:What's the point of a store that has no cashiers or stockboys where you have to get everything yourself...If all you have to do is order it on Amazon and it will be at your door next day?

It's a grocery/convenience store hybrid... So fresh sandwiches and stuff. Not stuff you'd order online for next day... More like where you'd go to grab a snack or lunch, or something to take home after work.

And there are stock people/people in store making the fresh made sandwiches / salads etc.

It's just built to be able to go in, grab whatever you want off the shelves, and walk back out.
To be inspired.
Evan
Board Meister

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Dizzy1 » Jan 23rd, 2018, 10:06 pm

I'll pass - thanks!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 5035 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 23rd, 2018, 11:23 pm

Just as I will refuse to use self-checkers, I would just walk on by this store.

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6397 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Queen K » Jan 23rd, 2018, 11:45 pm

I also refuse to use self-checkers. The moment they are more popular than real people, the stores will lay off the people.

Nope. Not on me.
Terror Twins Inc. Catsumi and QK, at your disposal. We take Bitcoin. Applications to be our accountant and lawyer presently accepted.

On-line Gossip: Unless you have proof, all you have is slander and libel.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 11261 posts

Postby Veovis » Jan 23rd, 2018, 11:54 pm

Queen K wrote:I also refuse to use self-checkers. The moment they are more popular than real people, the stores will lay off the people.

Nope. Not on me.

lol the self check at Canadian tire angered me and the lady standing there kept telling me how to do it better.....I was in a mood and stopped and looked her in the eye and stated "I DON'T WORK HERE".....

2 people like this post.
Veovis
Guru

Liked in: 3449 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 24th, 2018, 12:24 am

Veovis wrote:
lol the self check at Canadian tire angered me and the lady standing there kept telling me how to do it better.....I was in a mood and stopped and looked her in the eye and stated "I DON'T WORK HERE".....

While being directed from the check-out line to the Self Check, I just stated,
"If I wanted to work here, I would apply. I''ll wait."

Me being the shy and reserved type, I made sure I was heard for WAY too far.... :smt045

Even ordering anything online is an absolute last resort.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 2528 posts

Postby Jlabute » Jan 24th, 2018, 9:16 am

Pretty cool. Many articles suggest Amazon patented a system using RFID, while other articles suggest this store is not using RFID but a fusion of different sensors and cameras and AI to determine the items you gather and/or put back.

"[Update, Jan. 13, 2017: Although the previous patent filings reference RFID technologies, Amazon says RFID is not implemented in the Amazon Go store.]" - Geekwire

"We used sensor fusion, much like you'd find in self-driving cars,..."

I would bet it would be very difficult and expensive to retrofit a store with the same. It's hard to get the definitive last word on what tech they are using. If RFID, then every item requires a transponder tag which adds cost to the item, plus someone is needed to tag the items correctly, and stock them. Checking out could be just having a bag of items scanned for their individual tags. This can have issues. If the solution is a fusion of sensors, then you may be limited by your computing power and how many people you can serve simultaneously. The more I read, the more it seems like not RFID.
Last edited by Jlabute on Jan 29th, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
Jlabute
Übergod

Liked in: 772 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 24th, 2018, 9:44 am

I think until it's proven to be 100% accurate I would be checking my bills very closely.

I read in an article that Amazon changed the price of 1 item 8 times in one day back in 2014.
Nowadays it's almost rude to ask a question without Googling it first!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 9793 posts

Postby CapitalB » Jan 24th, 2018, 9:51 am

Bsuds wrote:I think until it's proven to be 100% accurate I would be checking my bills very closely.

I read in an article that Amazon changed the price of 1 item 8 times in one day back in 2014.

At best it'll not see you grab something, at worst it'll count it as something else.

Amazons prices are to a degree set by a computer algorithm, it factors in a few variables mainly what they payed, desired profit margin, what they think you specifically will pay etc.
We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right.
― George Orwell

PS: I'm probably playing devils advocate.
CapitalB
Board Meister

Liked in: 243 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 24th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Lmao at you “I don’t work here/if I wanted to work here”
Are you incapable of doing things for yourselves? Did you not browse around the store to find something, or do you tell someone to do it for you? The self checkout systems are dead easy, and much faster than standing behind someone counting their nickels.

You scan the items, and tap your phone to the machine. It’s so quick and easy. Same thing with ordering at McDonald’s with their automated systems. They are there for your convenience. If you’re set on being a Luddite though, you don’t need to use them. You don’t need to go to amazon’s store. Meanwhile the rest of us will speedily complete our shopping hassle free.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2620 posts

Next

Return to World