Dinosaur discovery

Dinosaur discovery

Postby rustled » Feb 6th, 2018, 8:58 am

Interesting!
A skeleton has been unearthed in Egypt's Western Desert, whose ancient sands have long helped preserve remains, but unlike most finds this one isn't a mummy — it's a dinosaur.

Researchers from Mansoura University in the country's Nile Delta discovered the new species of long-necked herbivore, which is around the size of a city bus, and it could be just the tip of the sand dune for other desert dinosaur discoveries.

"As in any ecosystem, if we went to the jungle we'll find a lion and a giraffe. So we found the giraffe, where's the lion?" said Hesham Sallam, leader of the excavation team and head of the university's Center for Vertebrate Paleontology.

Sallam, along with four Egyptian and five American researchers, authored an article in the journal "Nature Ecology & Evolution" published Jan. 29 announcing the discovery.

Experts say the find is a landmark one that could shed light on a particularly obscure period of history for the African continent, roughly the 30 million years before dinosaurs went extinct, between 70 and 80 million years ago.

Named "Mansourasaurus Shahinae" after the team's university and for one of the paleontology department's founders, the find is the only dinosaur from that period to have been discovered in Africa, and it may even be an undiscovered genus.
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/218 ... -discovery

(Also of interest: I wonder if JT will let them know it should be a"Mansourasaurus Peoplesourasaurus Shahinae". :biggrin: )
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 6349 posts

Re: Dinosaur discovery

Postby Queen K » Feb 6th, 2018, 10:42 am

I found it interesting years ago when I read about the Spinosaurus Aegyptiacus fossil bones being blown up by Allied bombers in the Munich Museum. The Germans didn't move all their treasures out and the World lost world heritage find.

https://observationdeck.kinja.com/a-din ... 1633621638

I know there is a book devoted to the paleotologist and his Egyptian dinosaur fossil finds but its title is escaping me right now. His story is tragic in that all the fossils were blown up during the war.

Like all wars, these are tragic. Egypt has been known to have dinosaur fossils for a long time, and it's alway cause for celebration when a new species is discovered. :130:

Morrocoo has million dollar fossil trade. The Saraha has huge skulls and fossil bodies in remote locations, being that it was once a thriving wetland.
It must be nice to live in an Ivory Tower, where everyone else makes mistakes. I have no idea what an ivory tower looks like.

rustled likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 12674 posts

Return to World