if you're gay, you're gone

mexi cali
Guru

if you're gay, you're gone

Post by mexi cali »

Just read this story on the web. I am shocked (perhaps naievely so but shocked nonetheless) that this is condoned by the law and by the church.

The Catholic church no less. You know, the one with the history of priests molesting young boys (mostly).

The story in a nutshell is about two women who were married in Florida and upon returning to work as a school teacher in a Catholic school, one of them was fired for violating her contract. In other words, she was fired for being gay and in the county she lives and works in, that is perfectly legal.

You can be fired for being gay.

“Any Catholic teacher who signs a contract with the Archdiocese of Miami is acknowledging that policies and procedures will be followed and will abide by the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church,” the spokeswoman said in a statement emailed to The Washington Post.

The above statement speaks to the "traditions of the Catholic church".

I wasn't aware that buggery and rape of children was a tradition in any church?

Who knew?

Hve a read of this and then tell me that the church is on the right track.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -our-names
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: if you're gay, you're gone

Post by Bsuds »

It just shows me how badly Religion is out of touch with the real World.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

mexi cali wrote:

But of course a muslim church would allow them to stay. Or many others?
Attachments
Homosexuality-society-ranking-02.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Great point, except for the topic is about the Catholic church and it's supposed code of conduct which it does not adhere to at the highest levels.

We can start a thread about Muslims and their views on the same subject if you like?

Or, we can stick to this one.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

I said "Or many others?". Singling out Catholics as the bad bad people is disingenuous at the very least. The graph I provided shows the overall religious acceptance with Catholics higher than the average. If you think that picking on a specific religion as being homophobic without mentioning that there are worse, or even much worse, and you won't get any response....not gonna happen. Not sure if you have a hate on for Catholics but it's their choice to hire who they want, unless a court decides otherwise.

I get confused why it's alright for, let's say, a Vegan group to not hire me because I eat meat (all the time) but it's wrong for this group to not hire people that do not have the same beliefs as them. Personally I would not work for anyone or any group that had an opposite philosophy as mine. Like say...the NDG.

Happy to say I'm in the 4th from the top religion(?), though I was raised in a religious household. Can't pick your parents.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

mexi cali wrote:Just read this story on the web. I am shocked (perhaps naievely so but shocked nonetheless) that this is condoned by the law and by the church.

The Catholic church no less. You know, the one with the history of priests molesting young boys (mostly).

The story in a nutshell is about two women who were married in Florida and upon returning to work as a school teacher in a Catholic school, one of them was fired for violating her contract. In other words, she was fired for being gay and in the county she lives and works in, that is perfectly legal.

“Any Catholic teacher who signs a contract with the Archdiocese of Miami is acknowledging that policies and procedures will be followed and will abide by the teachings and traditions of the Catholic Church,” the spokeswoman said in a statement emailed to The Washington Post.

I wasn't aware that buggery and rape of children was a tradition in any church?

Who knew?

Hve a read of this and then tell me that the church is on the right track.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -our-names

Why do people have to make simple things more complicated by adding their own interpretations and ideas. You yourself even said she was fired for breach of contract. And then you go on to put your two cents in saying it's because she was gay. No it was because of breach of contract. A contract she signed and agreed to. If she didn't like the contract or disagreed with what it said she should have not have signed it and taken the job. If you don't want to play by the rules that you've agreed to don't start the game. I'm not against same-sex marriage. But if I sign a contract I know I'm going to be bound by it and I'm not going to try and backpedal later when I want to change something. Take responsibility for your own actions. She should have saw it coming and should not be surprised. The argument of whether or not it's right to being a same-sex marriage is not part of this discussion
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Just as an aside, because it's interesting.

Early in my career, I taught at a Christian School in Canada (certified school, and certified teacher). They never once asked me anything about religious affiliation or anything about beliefs in regards to homosexuals or anything else deemed controversial really, even in my interview. They never asked if I went to church, or even what my religion was. It is noted that there were dedicated theologians who specifically taught religious studies in the school, so that was not part of my duties in my classroom.

Although I do consider myself a Christian-Bhuddist, I never had issues in this school about what way I leaned personally, it was pretty much like any other teaching gig I had, except the kids had a group prayer before lunch and at the end of the day.

Easy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:
Although I do consider myself a Christian-Bhuddist,

:200: :132:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

JagXKR wrote:I said "Or many others?". Singling out Catholics as the bad bad people is disingenuous at the very least. The graph I provided shows the overall religious acceptance with Catholics higher than the average. If you think that picking on a specific religion as being homophobic without mentioning that there are worse, or even much worse, and you won't get any response....not gonna happen. Not sure if you have a hate on for Catholics but it's their choice to hire who they want, unless a court decides otherwise.

I get confused why it's alright for, let's say, a Vegan group to not hire me because I eat meat (all the time) but it's wrong for this group to not hire people that do not have the same beliefs as them. Personally I would not work for anyone or any group that had an opposite philosophy as mine. Like say...the NDG.

Happy to say I'm in the 4th from the top religion(?), though I was raised in a religious household. Can't pick your parents.

One more time; I am not talking about other religions. I am talking about Catholiscism. And specifically, for you and CSG who are both missing the point, that being that this particular group purports to have a moral standard yet they are possibly the largest group of pedophiles on the globe. Does that explain it better?

CSG; please don't try to explain contract law to me. Especially when I wasn't talking about it. I was talking about the double standard.

She should have saw it coming and should not be surprised
. Por que?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I would say there is something wrong with the laws regarding contracts.

You can't enter into a legal binding contract that involves an illegal act.

A contract is not enforceable if it doesn't follow certain criteria, perhaps discrimination should be one of those elements.

"I Joe Blow, hereby agree to pay John Doe on half of the proceeds of the bank robbery we are planning, as long as John Doe properly operated the get away vehicle."
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Vast majority (if not all them) of the world main/largest religions, do not.... will not accept homosexuality.
Of course they will deny this due to the outcry from the general public, just have to do a little reading to find the actual truth (key reading would be each religions holy book).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

mexi cali wrote:One more time; I am not talking about other religions. I am talking about Catholiscism. And specifically, for you and CSG who are both missing the point, that being that this particular group purports to have a moral standard yet they are possibly the largest group of pedophiles on the globe. Does that explain it better?

Does not. Still bashing one particular religion even though that religion is not the worst. Your prejudice is as bright as a supernova. You want to say that the priests that have been convicted of heinous crimes means that the religion is full of pedophiles is disingenuous at best but more likely a bigoted uneducated attack on 1.2 Billion people. Shameful.

The largest group of pedophiles is NAMBLA.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote:Vast majority (if not all them) of the world main/largest religions, do not.... will not accept homosexuality.
Of course they will deny this due to the outcry from the general public, just have to do a little reading to find the actual truth (key reading would be each religions holy book).

A good reason to re-examine religion as part of one's life.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If she indeed signed such a contract then it is a breach. More troubling is that a gay person would sign such a contract.. like it was ok with her til she decided to wed?
Rather ironic.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

Sort of like getting a job with PETA and then complaining that they fired you when they found out about your trapline.

If you don't believe in what they stand for, don't go to work for them.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan

Return to “World”