Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by CapitalB »

Good point, I gender neutralized my sentence.

rustled wrote:Climate change: how exactly are we currently set up to measure the direct results of our emissions reduction strategies, and how will we know these strategies are affecting positive change?

I imagine that similar to how we handle the economy we'll have to act on the advice of experts, continue to track the data trends and just wait and see how our actions effect the data over time. The key points there are acting on the advice of experts and waiting. Since this is one of those long term slow results kind of things, there isn't currently a way to get usable data from even a single year of climate reduction. The climate is a slow beast effects take years to manifest, the amount of years is debated and very likely a variable figure, that however doesn't mean the change doesn't happen and that we shouldn't act on our current understanding of the situation.

PS you username is pretty gender neutral. That was a fact that I wasn't then and am still not clear on since no evidence of your gender has been provided. That aside I decided to make it gender neutral because my response is more or less open to the rest of the people that have misinterpreted my intention.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

CapitalB wrote:Good point, I gender neutralized my sentence.

rustled wrote:Climate change: how exactly are we currently set up to measure the direct results of our emissions reduction strategies, and how will we know these strategies are affecting positive change?

I imagine that similar to how we handle the economy we'll have to act on the advice of experts, continue to track the data trends and just wait and see how our actions effect the data over time. The key points there are acting on the advice of experts and waiting. Since this is one of those long term slow results kind of things, there isn't currently a way to get usable data from even a single year of climate reduction. The climate is a slow beast effects take years to manifest, the amount of years is debated and very likely a variable figure, that however doesn't mean the change doesn't happen and that we shouldn't act on our current understanding of the situation.

That was not my point. It was simply the point you thought it ought to be.

You seem unable go show how we are currently set up to measure the direct results of our emissions reduction strategies, is this correct?

While we wait and see, perhaps we can discuss this: who should be held accountable for the negative consequences of current policy? We could use ethanol as an example. Oxfam documented the human cost, and scientists have since shown there was no positive effect.

Do you feel those hurt should be able to engage in a class action lawsuit?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

CapitalB wrote:...PS you username is pretty gender neutral. That was a fact that I wasn't then and am still not clear on since no evidence of your gender has been provided. That aside I decided to make it gender neutral because my response is more or less open to the rest of the people that have misinterpreted my intention.

The reason I mention this at all is simply to ask you to consider how easy it is to make incorrect assumptions.

For example, you often quote Cook because you assume the information he has provided is scientific. And you assume his motivation was to promote good science. Years ago, you would have been able to find his motivation on the internet. He himself stated why he did what he did: alarmed (a.k.a. fearful) that the politicians were not doing enough to respond to the initial alarmism around climate change meant for his children's future, he set out with the intention of directing policy to save the world from what he feared, and what he believed we all should fear. Unless you're good with the wayback thingy on the internet, you'll only find a tempered version of that admission, because unsurprisingly he's not as proud of it as he used to be.

This policy-based motivation is why he has worked so hard to discredit people like Curry and others (including one of the early scientists to suggest there was reason for alarm and realized, like cholesterol, the early findings were only part of the story. His name escapes me at the moment.) Like Inigo Montoya, these scientists were very politely pointing out that people like Gore and Cook and Mann were misusing some of the science around climate change. It's terribly unscientific to tell people to shut up, but there you have it: there's a clear reason you've been convinced they are "deniers" and not "skeptics", that the outliers ought to be silenced with the biting, scathing epithet used for those who pretend the holocaust didn't happen, rather than the respectful and more accurate term we'd use for any scientist in any other circumstance saying "hold on, let's take another look at this".

It seems important to some of us to examine the cause-effect relationship here, particularly when we consider the vast resources dedicated and the negative consequences of action taken. We ought to be willing to acknowledge some of our assumptions may be wrong.

But back to what really matters to me: we ought to be sure that when we are doing damage and causing hardship, we truly are doing so because our policy is science-based. And we ought to recognize the need for accountability here, just as we would with any other public policy, instead of accepting excuses and "wait and see" platitudes. (And this is where, inevitably, those who do not ever want to talk about the negative consequences of climate policy will swing us back to the "denier/alarmist" argument instead.)
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:
Denialism

Stupidity
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

CapitalB wrote:
Is there a more polite term for people denying mans involvement in unnaturally changing climate?

first you have to prove that there is in fact an "unnaturally changing climate". Then you have to prove mankind's involvement. Then you have to justify stealing billions of dollars to "fight" this "unnaturally changing climate". Then, and only then, can you stupidly insult people who may object to you reaching for their wallet to enact horribly flawed and doomed to fail schemes that won't work and were never going to work. Maybe. RIght now, you have no right to call anyone anything.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Or you could go back and actually read the first post in this thread.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Omnitheo wrote:Or you could go back and actually read the first post in this thread.

The first post in this thread is mostly political mumbo jumbo about consensus this and that. No science was presented. There is nothing in it showing the "unnatural warming" or how we do deal with this warming if it's dangerous, etc.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 24th, 2018, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 24th, 2018, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Because_They_Lie
Banned

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 24th, 2018, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

^^^ Very interesting, thanx for the 411. ^^^
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Snman wrote:^^^ Very interesting, thanx for the 411. ^^^

You're welcome Snman.
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 24th, 2018, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: This needs to be done via pm.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The UK has had their worst winter in 47 years, leading to 48,000 deaths, which is almost twice as what it typically is. Most of the reason is due to expensive energy.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/694368/flu-winter-death-cold-fatalities
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

If it's cold here, it must be cold everywhere. Right?

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”