Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by floppi »

Jlabute wrote:There are a few failed thorium reactors and many failed fusion reactors. Thorium has the best chances to come first IMO. I see regulations prevent development in the USA according to this video, so technology is flowing to China. Quite disgusting how political energy is. Fusion will definitely be cool, but the first commercial fusion reactor is always 20 years away. Wanna bet as to which one comes first? Public spanking as usual for the loser? lol.

It would be a fool's bet as there isn't one fusion reactor to date. As I mentioned they just produced more energy than they put in so that is a BIG accomplishment. It's also foolish cause they already have had commercial thorium reactors. Although all of them failed to last more than 10 years in the US, they were working (for a while anyways).

This MIT articles says they could have a prototype in 15 years.....but I'm a little skeptical about that. So no public spanking for me :D .

http://news.mit.edu/2018/mit-newly-form ... power-0309
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ka-El wrote:
It just snowed in Vegas and likely will again this week. That isn't normal

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/weather/topsto ... &ocid=iehp

:biggrin:

“Measurable snow has only fallen on four other occasions since 1937 in December, the weather service said: 2 inches on Dec. 15, 1967; 0.4 inches on Dec. 5, 1972; 1 inch on Dec. 6, 1998; and 1.3 inches on Dec. 30, 2003.”

Although the above doesn’t seem true either, searches show there is snow most years... so not normal depending how good your memory is I suppose, nor does it mean anything. So whoever went to Vegas, lied in Vegas, lol.

Snow in 2008
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/epic-snowstorm-blanketed-las-vegas-strip-in-2008/

Snow in 2018.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5bkbn_dntE

Most years have snow
https://www.currentresults.com/Yearly-Weather/USA/NV/Las-Vegas/extreme-annual-las-vegas-snowfall.php
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The not normal being referred to is indicated further down the page:

But snowfall totals like those in 2008 are unusual for Las Vegas.

This month, snow has fallen on Las Vegas already - though not with the totals seen Sunday night. And multiple snow days in February are not common. Since 1939, February has seen more than three snowfall days only twice - the last time in 1949.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

floppi wrote:
Jlabute wrote:There are a few failed thorium reactors and many failed fusion reactors. Thorium has the best chances to come first IMO. I see regulations prevent development in the USA according to this video, so technology is flowing to China. Quite disgusting how political energy is. Fusion will definitely be cool, but the first commercial fusion reactor is always 20 years away. Wanna bet as to which one comes first? Public spanking as usual for the loser? lol.

It would be a fool's bet as there isn't one fusion reactor to date. As I mentioned they just produced more energy than they put in so that is a BIG accomplishment. It's also foolish cause they already have had commercial thorium reactors. Although all of them failed to last more than 10 years in the US, they were working (for a while anyways).

This MIT articles says they could have a prototype in 15 years.....but I'm a little skeptical about that. So no public spanking for me :D .

http://news.mit.edu/2018/mit-newly-form ... power-0309

https://www.forbes.com/sites/arielcohen/2019/01/14/is-fusion-power-within-our-grasp/#1c5683f79bb4

"... The second is a report by a panel of distinguished scientists from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to the DOE which concluded that a $200 million annual investment in the technology for the next several decades could lead to a commercially viable reactor before 2050. This timeline includes demonstrating energy-gain fusion (a reaction which produces more energy than it takes in) by the mid-2020s and a concept reactor by the 2030s."

Keep your fingers crossed. It is good to see the other hand is slamming solar and wind.

I think thorium will be commercial 10 years before fusion. It will provide all the same benefits while infrastructure and equipment are cheaper. Gotta admit though, fusion is way cool, but I am not sure if the economics of it are competitive. LFTRs are theoretically going to be cheaper than water fission reactors.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
floppi
Lord of the Board

Post by floppi »

Jlabute wrote:I think thorium will be commercial 10 years before fusion. It will provide all the same benefits while infrastructure and equipment are cheaper. Gotta admit though, fusion is way cool, but I am not sure if the economics of it are competitive. LFTRs are theoretically going to be cheaper than water fission reactors.

I'm certain thorium reactors won't be in numbers until the uranium fuel runs out which is still centuries away. The startup and research cost are enormous for thorium. The tech and the technologists to run them are still in infancy. Also commercial viability haven't been proven or established but who knows what the future holds for us.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Cosmic rays increase as the solar wind pressure decreases. It will be interesting to see what cycle 25 will bring... or if we are beginning a grand solar minimum and we will see a drastic drop in solar output and drastic increase in cosmic rays. Not enough is known if extrasolar radiation causes more cloud cover... or the extreme drop in UV causes the ozone to repair. Time and measurements may tell.

https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2019/02/21/cosmic-rays-increasing-for-the-4th-year-in-a-row/
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

When I'm not busy fighting climate change, I put on my spandex tights and fight crime.
The name is Beale,... John Beale, and that is my Aston Martin over there.

I suppose this is the kind of thing you do when your job is really indefensible, discouraging, and depressing. People go psycho defending lies, or you need a special kind of psycho to make them up. So now he has to spend 32 months in prison and pay a $1.3M carbon tax, 'er, restitution. This has been going on since 2000... goes to show that no one knows what any climate expert is doing.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

“Two recent events triggered the idea for this article. On the surface, they appear unconnected, but that is an indirect result of the original goal and methods of global warming science. We learned from Australian Dr, Jennifer Marohasy of another manipulation of the temperature record in an article titled “Data mangling: BoM’s Changes to Darwin’s Climate History are Not Logical.” The second involved the claim of final, conclusive evidence of Anthropogenic Global Warming ((AGW). The original article appeared in the journal Nature Climate Change. Because it is in this journal raises flags for me. The publishers of the journal Nature created the journal. That journal published as much as it could to promote the deceptive science used for the untested AGW hypothesis. However, they were limited by the rules and procedures required for academic research and publications. This isn’t a problem if the issue of global warming was purely about science, but it never was. It was a political use of science for a political agenda from the start. The original article came from a group led by Ben Santer, a person with a long history of involvement in the AGW deception.........”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/03/03/anthropogenic-global-warming-agw-a-tangled-web-strangling-its-creators-and-proponents/

Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The UN back in 1989 said we’d have a global disaster come 2000, oceans would be 3 feet higher, many countries would be partly flooded, etc. I wonder if they really used $55M a year in European taxes to help the rain forests? Lots of skim room there I bet.

https://www.apnews.com/bd45c372caf118ec99964ea547880cd0
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

:yahoo:

:panic: AOC says world is going to end in 12 years.

Talk about fearmongering!!!! :smt045

Greenpeace co-founder tears into Ocasio-Cortez, Green New Deal: ‘Pompous little twit’

Patrick Moore, the co-founder of the environmentalist group Greenpeace, ripped into New York Democratic Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez over the weekend as a “pompous little twit,” saying the Green New Deal plan she’s advocating is “completely crazy.”

In a series of tweets, Moore argued Ocasio-Cortez, who has called for drastically reducing fossil fuel production, doesn’t realize what would happen across the world if the radical plan were implemented.

OCASIO-CORTEZ CALLS CLIMATE CHANGE ‘OUR WORLD WAR II,’ WARNS THE WORLD WILL END IN 12 YEARS

“If fossil fuels were banned every tree in the world would be cut down for fuel for cooking and heating," Moore said in a tweet Saturday directed at Ocasio-Cortez. “You would bring about mass death.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Deal.html
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

We've had less than 12 years left for 40 years now. We are often under multiple climate death sentences, but it hasn't happened yet.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Now this is quite interesting, though not surprising...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylo ... ng-crisis/
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”