Fallout from parkland shootings

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Fallout from parkland shootings

Post by mexi cali »

I know that to some, many even, the idea of arming teachers is frightening. Stop to think though. If you were in a building that was under siege from a gunman who was actively killing people, would you rather be able to protect yourself if you couldn't easily escape notice?

It may not be the best idea but it in some ways is a practical one.

The quickest way to end attacks like these is to toughen up gun control laws from the ability to acquire them right through to what types of weapons are available, but the US and the NRA have made it abubdantly clear that they don't care how many innocent lives are taken because the second amendment is sacred above all else.

The big problem is that there is so much money involved, money that is regularly being funneled into political parties that it has corrupted the way this issue is being viewed.

Marco Rubio, when confronted by a survivor of the parkland massacre could not honestly say that he had never accepted contributions from the NRA so how do you go about changing the mindset of a Nation full of citizens who believe more strongly in their right to protect themselves than in the value of the lives that are taken using weapons that have no other function but to kill?

My sister in law lives in a state where carrying concealed is availabel if you so desire and she was a teacher and she carried a gun every day. She said it gave her a sense of control that she never had when she didn't carry her gun with her.

No accidental shootings.

It may not be the worst idea.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Bigjohn69 wrote:https://trib.al/D799W28

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla., Feb 22 (Reuters) – The armed deputy assigned to the campus of a Florida high school during a deadly shooting last week stayed outside the building during the attack and failed to engage the shooter, the county sheriff said on Thursday.

I wonder how many parents are setting to sue him for negligence causing death. The deputy and the sheriffs dept and the city by connection. If there is an armed deputy that was certainly the reason or argument as to why. He didn't do anything.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

mexi cali wrote:I know that to some, many even, the idea of arming teachers is frightening. Stop to think though. If you were in a building that was under siege from a gunman who was actively killing people, would you rather be able to protect yourself if you couldn't easily escape notice?

It may not be the best idea but it in some ways is a practical one.

The quickest way to end attacks like these is to toughen up gun control laws from the ability to acquire them right through to what types of weapons are available, but the US and the NRA have made it abubdantly clear that they don't care how many innocent lives are taken because the second amendment is sacred above all else.

The big problem is that there is so much money involved, money that is regularly being funneled into political parties that it has corrupted the way this issue is being viewed.

Marco Rubio, when confronted by a survivor of the parkland massacre could not honestly say that he had never accepted contributions from the NRA so how do you go about changing the mindset of a Nation full of citizens who believe more strongly in their right to protect themselves than in the value of the lives that are taken using weapons that have no other function but to kill?

My sister in law lives in a state where carrying concealed is availabel if you so desire and she was a teacher and she carried a gun every day. She said it gave her a sense of control that she never had when she didn't carry her gun with her.

No accidental shootings.

It may not be the worst idea.

You make some excellent points. It's going to be a never-ending fight to get Americans to ease up on their gun rights, so the next best thing is to offer as much protection as possible to potential victims. Whether it's reducing access to schools, colleges, churches, hospitals and such, or providing more armed security in those places.
I question the effectiveness of arming teachers though. Firearms training is one thing, but it's completely different in an actual active-shooter situation. Armed teachers will probably never have to face an active shooter, but when they do, lives depend on their response.
It wasn't long ago that we had a deranged doctor kill over a dozen people at Fort Hood, surrounded by military personnel who had trained in weapons use for years.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

The National Rifle Association and the firearms industry are facing backlash in the wake of the deadly Florida high school shooting, with calls to boycott the big lobby group spreading from social media to businesses.

Over the past week, several notable businesses have either cut ties with the NRA or demanded measures from the association to address gun violence in the U.S.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/nr ... -1.4548756

Money talks
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

(CNN) - When Coral Springs police officers arrived at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, on February 14 in the midst of the school shooting crisis, many officers were surprised to find not only that Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson, the armed school resource officer, had not entered the building, but that three other Broward County Sheriff's deputies were also outside the school and had not entered, Coral Springs sources tell CNN. The deputies had their pistols drawn and were behind their vehicles, the sources said, and not one of them had gone into the school.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/23/politics ... index.html

So are these cops cowards ? Or maybe not wanting to face down ar15 type weapons ?
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

http://cnn.it/2GE66Qi

FCC chairman gets gun from NRA
Bigjohn69
Fledgling

Post by Bigjohn69 »

Much to the world’s grief and dismay, former Beatle John Lennon was shot and killed by a mentally ill, obsessed fan on 8 December 1980. According to Lennon’s widow, Yoko Ono, more than 1.1 million gun-related deaths have taken place in the U.S. in the years since her husband was murdered.

https://www.snopes.com/john-lennon-gun-death-rate/

Snopes agrees with the CDC
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

http://video.foxnews.com/v/573931409000 ... show-clips

Major corporations severing ties with the NRA and its members.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I think with this movement the students have started we will see more businesses and politicians severing ties with the NRA in the attempt to show that they are also being socially responsible.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

unlikely, they flat out asked Marco Rubio if he would not accept any further donations from the NRA, and he refused. He will happily continue to accept millions of dollars from them while children are being murdered.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Such bs to be blaming the NRA. Total smoke screen

4 deputies waited outside while those kids were killed.

Reports as always. Multiple shooters.

Reports as always. Known to fbi and police.

Reports as always had family employed by the government .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Sheriff Scott Israel, the guy in charge of the officers who stood outside the school instead of confronting Cruz. Why am I not surprised who his friends are?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GF, good grief man, the guy looks like he "collected" politicians like I did when I got photographed with Justin Trudeau. Are you going to blame me for his vaca in India? :135:

Jflem1983 wrote:Such bs to be blaming the NRA. Total smoke screen

4 deputies waited outside while those kids were killed.

Reports as always. Multiple shooters.

Reports as always. Known to fbi and police.

Reports as always had family employed by the government .

No one is blaming the NRA for the shootings. I'm not anyways. What I am saying and many are saying is that the NRA is an evil force in American politics. A cancer that has spread with no end insight. That their blatant buying of politicians has to stop and stop soon. That their political reach has reached far that sane rational debate on gun control can't even be had.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Gonna donate anotger cpl hundred to the NRA today. Im already a lifetime member. I joined after sandy hook.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “World”