Norway shows where to invest

Norway shows where to invest

Postby Bigjohn69 » Feb 27th, 2018, 11:43 am

https://qz.com/1217026/apple-and-micros ... n-in-2017/

So it is clear Norway takes money from its oil and invests in tech companies to see the huge returns . Lesson there is do not invest in oil but invest in tech .

Norway says it will delete more oil company investments in the future so expect those investments around the world to lose more money as that is what happened the last time Norway did the same .

It is a fools game to invest in oil or gas as they have a limited future compared to tech
Bigjohn69
Fledgling
 
Posts: 299
Likes: 146 posts
Liked in: 135 posts
Joined: Feb 6th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 12:06 pm

The scandinavian union in general has been making excellent choices in regards to how their countries have been treating their economies and the wealthy people that contribute to them. Not just excellent in my opinion, objectively excellent as evidenced by any form of measuring a country's success.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 768
Likes: 339 posts
Liked in: 482 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby christopher » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:49 pm

This doesn't look that good to me
/www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Canada&country2=Norway
Indices Difference Info

Consumer Prices in Norway are 61.42% higher than in Canada
Consumer Prices Including Rent in Norway are 54.31% higher than in Canada
Rent Prices in Norway are 36.65% higher than in Canada
Restaurant Prices in Norway are 86.43% higher than in Canada
Groceries Prices in Norway are 53.71% higher than in Canada
Local Purchasing Power in Norway is 9.49% lower than in Canada
christopher
Fledgling
 
Posts: 291
Likes: 557 posts
Liked in: 209 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby CapitalB » Feb 27th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Norwegians are also the highest paid people on the planet which contributes significantly to balancing that. They also are the happiest people on the planet, have better healthcare, less crime, and probably the lowest recidivism rates in the developed world. They are by any measure one of the most successful countries on the planet.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-info/compare/Canada/Norway Side by side comparison.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Omnitheo likes this post.
User avatar
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 768
Likes: 339 posts
Liked in: 482 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 4th, 2018, 5:39 pm

CapitalB wrote:Norwegians are also the highest paid people on the planet which contributes significantly to balancing that. They also are the happiest people on the planet, have better healthcare, less crime, and probably the lowest recidivism rates in the developed world. They are by any measure one of the most successful countries on the planet.
.


According to several people I know who have tried to work with companies in Norway, they are becoming quite rapidly the laziest country on the planet. They are a great example of socialism gone insane, without the corruption of Venezuela. When you take away all motivation to work and hook everyone on the morphine of the teat of the nanny-state, you slowly but surely die. Quoting insanely stupid made up statistics that measure "happiness" don't change that. How do you measure "happiness" exactly? This is just so dumb.

Also:

Norway's rape rate:
Ranked 15th. 11 times more than Canada


Why are Norwegians raping each other so much more than Canadians?
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys

Gone_Fishin likes this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27650
Likes: 11782 posts
Liked in: 15597 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby Even Steven » Mar 4th, 2018, 6:31 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:Why are Norwegians raping each other so much more than Canadians?


Because in Norway the definition of rape is drastically different from that of Canada. They include a lot of things in it that doesn't count as rape here. So, their stats look much worse.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Even Steven
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2633
Likes: 173 posts
Liked in: 1900 posts
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby Snman » Mar 4th, 2018, 7:22 pm

The Green Barbarian wrote:
CapitalB wrote:Norwegians are also the highest paid people on the planet which contributes significantly to balancing that. They also are the happiest people on the planet, have better healthcare, less crime, and probably the lowest recidivism rates in the developed world. They are by any measure one of the most successful countries on the planet.
.


According to several people I know who have tried to work with companies in Norway, they are becoming quite rapidly the laziest country on the planet. They are a great example of socialism gone insane, without the corruption of Venezuela. When you take away all motivation to work and hook everyone on the morphine of the teat of the nanny-state, you slowly but surely die. Quoting insanely stupid made up statistics that measure "happiness" don't change that. How do you measure "happiness" exactly? This is just so dumb.

Also:

Norway's rape rate:
Ranked 15th. 11 times more than Canada


Why are Norwegians raping each other so much more than Canadians?


Probably gay rape. Then again, I could be wrong.
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Snman
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 993
Likes: 1058 posts
Liked in: 720 posts
Joined: Aug 6th, 2006, 6:27 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 1:23 pm

So that is basically how it works. The number of reported rapes is high in Sweden because Swedish women faithfully report when they are raped, rather than assuming that it was their fault. It is lower in Norway and Denmark because we have less immigrants from rape cultures and the natives are more wary around them. Even so, the overwhelming majority of reported rapes here in Norway are by foreigners from non-Nordic cultures.


https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-hig ... -the-world
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27650
Likes: 11782 posts
Liked in: 15597 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby Omnitheo » Mar 5th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Scandinavia uses different definitions of rape from other countries, meaning things not considered rape here, would be in sweden. Additionally scandinavians are more likely to report it, where here, even victims are often shamed for allowed it to occur. And thirdly, in sweden, each instance of the rape is recorded, meaning that a husband who rapes his wife every night would be 365 separate rape cases.

lots of reasons for difference of statistics, but I'm not sure why we're on this subject in the first place. This is about investments in Norway. The same is actually true of many oil dependent economies, which understand that it is not a sustainable revenue generator, and are looking to invest the money elsewhere. Even Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, and other wealthy petrostates have sunk large amounts of money into other projects so that they can diversify the economy. This includes Tourism in Dubai, and in Saudi Arabia's case, even constructing a whole new high tech city to serve as a hub of knowledge and innovation. All things that major oil economies around the world have done to prepare themselves for the future, which Alberta foolishly ignored under the previous government.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau

CapitalB likes this post.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4107
Likes: 6046 posts
Liked in: 3053 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby The Green Barbarian » Mar 5th, 2018, 5:16 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 5th, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without making it personal.
Not all leftists are stupid, but most stupid people are leftists.
- Dr. Don Boys
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Admiral HMS Castanet
 
Posts: 27650
Likes: 11782 posts
Liked in: 15597 posts
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby d0nb » Mar 10th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Norway is a beautiful but inhospitable land where the days of ‘success’ are numbered in barrels of oil - the long-term prospects are not great.

Global investment markets have risen as oil-rich countries and retirement funds have enjoyed a surfeit of cash, but when the oil flow decreases and aging populations force pension funds to switch from net buying to selling, countries, funds and individuals will find it hard to recoup their investments from falling markets. Meanwhile, most of us can look forward to ever-higher contributions to our “fully-funded” pension plans as governments attempt to delay the inevitable. Kind of a downer, huh?

Of course, if ’progressives’ are allowed to take control, they can repeal inconvenient little things like the law of supply and demand and everything will be right as rain. :up:
According to P. F. Sloan and Barry McGuire, we have now been living on the "Eve of Destruction" for 53 years and counting.

The Green Barbarian likes this post.
d0nb
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 953
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 806 posts
Joined: Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby Dawggss » Mar 15th, 2018, 1:22 pm

d0nb wrote:Norway is a beautiful but inhospitable land where the days of ‘success’ are numbered in barrels of oil - the long-term prospects are not great.

Global investment markets have risen as oil-rich countries and retirement funds have enjoyed a surfeit of cash, but when the oil flow decreases and aging populations force pension funds to switch from net buying to selling, countries, funds and individuals will find it hard to recoup their investments from falling markets. Meanwhile, most of us can look forward to ever-higher contributions to our “fully-funded” pension plans as governments attempt to delay the inevitable. Kind of a downer, huh?

Of course, if ’progressives’ are allowed to take control, they can repeal inconvenient little things like the law of supply and demand and everything will be right as rain. :up:


That’s the point of a fund, and investment in education and economic diversification.
Rather than gloom and doom everything being done to advance a population’s outlook - consider the self-serving approach you are advocating. Each to his own and cut taxes so I have more can be considered shortsighted, except for those in the minority that are advantaged.
Inheritance and family merger is not an option for most. Those models of ‘supply and demand’ are the venue of the top tier.

Of course ‘oil success’ is not infinite. That’s exactly why Norway is such an interesting exception to examine.
Imagine if Alberta, who actually initiated their Heritage Trust Fund more than a decade earlier, had the foresight to act and invest as Norway! Go ahead - research a comparison between the 2 - I will wait. Shocking results and wasted opportunity will strike you quickly. Alberta could have done so much ...
But No - the choice seems to be to maintain the corporate welfare system.

Reduce taxes, rollback wages of nurses and teachers, build boondoggles, ‘lose track’ of goals, fund insider ventures, neglect infrastructure, announce / ignore / reannounce / ignore / repeat social spending, and so on ... leadership for the benefit of population or not? You tell me!
Norway is not Utopia - but they do have strict anti-corruption laws, an accepted concept that taxes are not a penalty but a shared investment in society wellbeing and benefits, and if I dare suggest, a far more involved, educated, tolerant society than some of the Western corporate societies extolled here.

I seriously doubt ‘progressives’ would repeal supply and demand - however they might be open minded enough to understand, and address the flaws and drawbacks of slavish acceptance.
Hence the concept of ‘Progress’.
“Left vs Right is an out-dated concept and an oversimplification of the 21st Century.” James Morcan

“What if I told you that the Left Wing and the Right Wing belong to the same bird?”
User avatar
Dawggss
 
Posts: 66
Likes: 82 posts
Liked in: 42 posts
Joined: Jul 19th, 2009, 6:28 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby d0nb » Mar 25th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Dawggss wrote:That’s the point of a fund, and investment in education and economic diversification.
Rather than gloom and doom everything being done to advance a population’s outlook - consider the self-serving approach you are advocating. Each to his own and cut taxes so I have more can be considered shortsighted, except for those in the minority that are advantaged.
Inheritance and family merger is not an option for most. Those models of ‘supply and demand’ are the venue of the top tier.

I wasn’t really advocating anything. I simply have doubts about the long term viability of investment schemes. Fully-funded today can turn into pennies on the dollar tomorrow - it happens when there are more sellers than buyers.

One alternative to rampant exploitation would be to slow the rate of resource extraction to a manageable level. Oil left in the ground just might turn out to be the best form of investment.
Of course ‘oil success’ is not infinite. That’s exactly why Norway is such an interesting exception to examine.
Imagine if Alberta, who actually initiated their Heritage Trust Fund more than a decade earlier, had the foresight to act and invest as Norway! Go ahead - research a comparison between the 2 - I will wait. Shocking results and wasted opportunity will strike you quickly. Alberta could have done so much ...
But No - the choice seems to be to maintain the corporate welfare system.

Useful comparisons between an independent coastal country and a land-locked quasi-colony of Canada are few. But it’s safe to say that if Norway had no option other than to find a way to transport its oil by pipeline or rail through BC or the US while being forced to subsidize Ottawa’s profligate spending habits, they might be in even worse shape than Alberta. Unlike Norway, Alberta’s ability to fund education and social objectives is hampered by an inability to obtain full market value for its oil.

Pipeline shortage to cost the economy $15.6 billion this year: report http://business.financialpost.com/commo ... scotiabank
Reduce taxes, rollback wages of nurses and teachers, build boondoggles, ‘lose track’ of goals, fund insider ventures, neglect infrastructure, announce / ignore / reannounce / ignore / repeat social spending, and so on ... leadership for the benefit of population or not? You tell me!
Norway is not Utopia - but they do have strict anti-corruption laws, an accepted concept that taxes are not a penalty but a shared investment in society wellbeing and benefits, and if I dare suggest, a far more involved, educated, tolerant society than some of the Western corporate societies extolled here.

I doubt that many would assume the task of defending the spending choices made by Alberta’s politicians. And you are right to say that Norway is no utopia, but at least Norwegians don’t have to bear the additional burden of a federal government that saps their wealth while subverting their economic interests with an additional layer of bureaucratic incompetence and indifference.
I seriously doubt ‘progressives’ would repeal supply and demand - however they might be open minded enough to understand, and address the flaws and drawbacks of slavish acceptance.
Hence the concept of ‘Progress’.

I have no doubt that they would if they could. They just keep running out of other peoples' money to spend – a total downer for everyone.
According to P. F. Sloan and Barry McGuire, we have now been living on the "Eve of Destruction" for 53 years and counting.
d0nb
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 953
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 806 posts
Joined: Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby bob vernon » Mar 25th, 2018, 4:54 pm

When all else fails, try sexual innuendo.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2073
Likes: 7 posts
Liked in: 1113 posts
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Norway shows where to invest

Postby d0nb » Mar 25th, 2018, 6:04 pm

:1422:
According to P. F. Sloan and Barry McGuire, we have now been living on the "Eve of Destruction" for 53 years and counting.
d0nb
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 953
Likes: 408 posts
Liked in: 806 posts
Joined: Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:08 pm


Return to World

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests