Germans switch on 'largest artificial sun

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Germans switch on 'largest artificial sun

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Let there be light: Germans switch on 'largest artificial sun'

Scientists hope experiment, which can generate temperatures of around 3,500C, will help to develop carbon-neutral fuel
Synlight produces 10,000 times the intensity of natural sunlight on Earth. Photograph: Caroline Seidel/AP

Hannah Devlin Science correspondent

@hannahdev

Thu 23 Mar 2017 12.19 GMT

German scientists are switching on “the world’s largest artificial sun” in the hope that intense light sources can be used to generate climate-friendly fuel.

The Synlight experiment in Jülich, about 19 miles west of Cologne, consists 149 souped-up film projector spotlights and produces light about 10,000 times the intensity of natural sunlight on Earth.

When all the lamps are swivelled to concentrate light on a single spot, the instrument can generate temperatures of around 3,500C – around two to three times the temperature of a blast furnace.

The ultimate aim of the experiment is devise a setup to concentrate natural sunlight. Photograph: Picture-Alliance/Barcroft Images

“If you went in the room when it was switched on, you’d burn directly,” said Prof Bernard Hoffschmidt, a research director at the German Aerospace Center, where the experiment is housed in a protective radiation chamber.

The aim of the experiment is to come up with the optimal setup for concentrating natural sunlight to power a reaction to produce hydrogen fuel.

Solar power stations that use mirrors to focus sunlight onto water are already well established. These work by harnessing heat from the sun to produce steam that turns turbines and generates electricity.

The energy produced would be used to extract hydrogen from water vapour. Photograph: Picture-Alliance/Barcroft Images

The Synlight experiment is investigating the possibility that a similar setup could be used to power a reaction to extract hydrogen from water vapour, which could then be used as a fuel source for aeroplanes and cars.

Synlight currently uses a vast amount of energy – four hours of operation consumes as much electricity as a four-person household in a year – but scientists hope that in the future natural sunlight could be used to produce hydrogen in a carbon-neutral way.

“We’d need billions of tonnes of hydrogen if we wanted to drive aeroplanes and cars on CO2-free fuel,” said Hoffschmidt. “Climate change is speeding up so we need to speed up innovation.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/mar/23/worlds-largest-artificial-sun-german-scientists-activate-synlight
Jlabute
Guru

Re: Germans switch on 'largest artificial sun

Post by Jlabute »

It's an interesting idea... I think if they can pull it off, they would be making hydrogen in the most expensive way possible, and not likely competitive. This is a stepping stone for testing towards finding a better method. After-which, we need inexpensive and efficient fuel cell technology and transportation systems for hydrogen.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Anything recent? When I looked it up, there is nothing since March 2017. Has any progress been made? Have they learned anything over the last year? Have they just dumped the project and written it off as failure? Just wondering.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Jlabute wrote:It's an interesting idea... I think if they can pull it off, they would be making hydrogen in the most expensive way possible, and not likely competitive. This is a stepping stone for testing towards finding a better method. After-which, we need inexpensive and efficient fuel cell technology and transportation systems for hydrogen.

I think it's interesting as well - interesting in an evil kind of way

I do not see it as a harbinger of good things to come.

I see it as a sign that we are in dangerous times.

Artificial life is being created all around us at maximum pace, while organic and biological life is being destroyed.

This is a critical point in our history and everyone is too busy with their faces in their screens to notice the die off of everything that lives and breathes.

I see this as a stepping stone to a total technocratic takeover and the end of biological life.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

alanjh595 wrote:Anything recent? When I looked it up, there is nothing since March 2017. Has any progress been made? Have they learned anything over the last year? Have they just dumped the project and written it off as failure? Just wondering.

Nope nothing since March 2017, I was initially searching for an update on this project but have found nothing to date.

When they do update us, I will post.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Wow, 149 x 7KW per bulb, that's 1,043KW.
The cost of German electricity (0.25/KWh) this would cost only $260/hour. Don't leave the lights on.

https://www.pc-control.net/pdf/032017/solutions/pcc_0317_dlr_e.pdf
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Nice find on the update rustled.

What is curious to me is why would SRM (solar radiation management) be used as well as this synlight - SRM reflects the natural sun light away from the earths surface.

The two seem counter productive to one another.

It seems more plausable that the synlight is being created due to the use of SRM - solar uptake is at an all time low due to the spraying of reflective metal particulate being sprayed in the upper atmosphere under operation solar shield. (SRM)

Return to “World”