The right wing attacks against shooting survivors continue

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: The right wing attacks against shooting survivors contin

Post by Glacier »

We will have to agree to disagree. If she says she's sorry, I buy it. I don't watch Fox News, so I don't know her background as well as you do, but I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Hogg should too in my opinion. Maybe I'm too liberal, but if someone tweeted something like this to me, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, and forgive them.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

An interesting take on Laura Ingraham's return to TV:

Laura Ingraham's Back After Mocking David Hogg & Her Monologue Hints She's Not So Sorry After All
https://www.bustle.com/p/laura-ingrahams-back-after-mocking-david-hogg-her-monologue-hints-shes-not-so-sorry-after-all-8741125

Indeed, at one point in her monologue, Ingraham asserted,

There's a contraction of free speech all around us. ... Many of you have become accustomed to editing yourselves. Expressing views that just five or 10 years ago were considered mainstream, can now get you fired. It can cause you to lose a promotion. You could be branded a hater. Or yes, you can get boycotted.

Toward the end of her monologue, Ingraham announced that she will be featuring a new segment on her show called "Defending the First," which will explore what she believes are threats to the First Amendment. As the host noted, she plans to use her show to expose "the perpetrators [of First Amendment threats], their tactics, their major players, and their funders." She also did not mince words when characterizing how she believes some progressives are threatening free speech, saying, "Their efforts are Stalinist, pure and simple. Their objective is a total transformation of American society, not through rational discourse and open debate, but through personal demonization and silencing."

It would seem she is one of those who doesn't understand what "Free Speech" means. Her rights weren't violated at all. She just doesn't like the criticism she received and the resulting loss of advertising dollars. She still has her TV show and can say whatever she wants, she just might feel the effect in her bank account.

I don't see a lot of people suggesting she shouldn't she shouldn't be allowed to say what she wants, she just wants to be able to say it without any consequences but that's not how free speech works. She's getting conservatives all riled up saying the left is attacking free speech, but it's just not true and she knows it. She's doing this just to further divide the country and get her supporters angry at the left.

The left isn't lobbying the government to restrict what people can say by changing the 1st Amendment, they're just using their voices to criticize comments from the right they disagree with. She's turning this into a free speech, 1st Amendment argument but in reality this discussion has nothing to do with it.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

https://gizmodo.com/home-of-parkland-su ... 1826567344

The family home of outspoken Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg was the target of a “swatting” hoax this morning when a caller falsely claimed the address was the site of a hostage situation.

Emergency services responded to the call and found there was no hostage situation, a local ABC affiliate reports. Several sheriff’s office units and a police helicopter were also reportedly sent to the scene. Hogg was in Washington, DC at the time to accept the RFK Human Rights award.

Swatting is more than just a prank, it has been deadly. Right wing attacks are now going beyond harassment and now into attempted murder territory. Even if there is no altercation, you are sending armed gunmen to a household where there are those suffering PTSD from seeing their friends and classmates gunned down. How low can these 2nd amendment nuts get?
Last edited by Omnitheo on Jun 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Omnitheo wrote:https://gizmodo.com/home-of-parkland-survivor-and-activist-david-hogg-swatt-1826567344

The family home of outspoken Parkland shooting survivor David Hogg was the target of a “swatting” hoax this morning when a caller falsely claimed the address was the site of a hostage situation.

Emergency services responded to the call and found there was no hostage situation, a local ABC affiliate reports. Several sheriff’s office units and a police helicopter were also reportedly sent to the scene. Hogg was in Washington, DC at the time to accept the RFK Human Rights award.

Swatting is more than just a prank, it ha been deadly. Right wing attacks are now going beyond harassment and now into attempted muster territory. Even if there is no altercation, you are sending armed gunmen to a household where there are those suffering PTSD from seeing their friends and classmates gunned down. How low can these 2nd amendment nuts get?

Probably done by Hogg himself to stay in the news. His rally has fizzled out
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

This kind of behaviour even hits close to home...

Some of the injured, including Braden Matejka, a B.C. mechanic who was shot in the head, have even found themselves threatened with violence by misguided individuals who don't believe what happened to them.

"I would shoot your head and see how your fake *bleep* looks afterwards," one commenter wrote to Matejka on Facebook.

"All these people are sellouts and should be hung for treason," another conspiracy troll wrote on a YouTube video of Matejka in hospital.

The online abuse was so bad that Matejka reportedly deleted his social media accounts

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/i-would-shoot-your-head-conspiracy-trolls-target-b-c-victims-of-vegas-attack-1.3653093
hail Satan y'all
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

Allman does not represent "conservatives". Saying that is rather bigoted. His views and words cannot be construed to mean they represent right wing views. Trying to say that is a pathetic attempt to smear all conservatives and anyone who is not a politically left leaning person. The very definition of racism and bigotry is judging a group based on the actions of one person allegedly from that group. All people must be judged as individuals who may or may not share common views.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Mark5 wrote: The very definition of racism and bigotry is judging a group based on the actions of one person allegedly from that group. All people must be judged as individuals who may or may not share common views.

That's true. It is definitely not fair to assume all right-wingers are stupid (although the research shows that as a group they do tend to be less intelligent than left wingers); and as John Stuart Mills noted, "Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." This was certainly evidenced in the last US election.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Mark5 wrote:Allman does not represent "conservatives". Saying that is rather bigoted. His views and words cannot be construed to mean they represent right wing views. Trying to say that is a pathetic attempt to smear all conservatives and anyone who is not a politically left leaning person. The very definition of racism and bigotry is judging a group based on the actions of one person allegedly from that group. All people must be judged as individuals who may or may not share common views.

Allman does represent some conservatives, or at least his expressed sentiments are shared by some. I don't think that anyone thinks he represents all of them. Nor that all conservatives are attacking or abusing these victims. This is the problem that some people have with generalisations. When you read Black Lives Matter, you can simply interpret it literally, at which point we have a statement that all decent people should support (unless they think no lives matter), but do you think that the proponents of the movement are saying that "Only Black Lives Matter" or that "Black Lives Matter Too"? Common sense dictates the latter, but those looking to demonise the movement, or play the victim seem to assume the former.

While being right-wing is not the defining trait of those who continue to abuse Hogg, it is a trait largely shared by them and one of only a few which wouldn't be particularly incendiary to describe them. Additionally, their right-wing ideology somewhat informs their attitudes and comments about Hogg. Again, not all right-wing people and not all right-wing ideologies, but these and some. So, unless one is going to go on a crusade to end generalisations, I think it is taking a victim complex to complain about the use of right-wing and conservative to describe these people.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote:This was certainly evidenced in the last US election.

how so? Are you saying that Hillary deserved to win, despite running a terrible campaign? And rigging the primaries? Interesting yet pretty weak argument.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
jamapple
Übergod

Post by jamapple »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 6th, 2018, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Ka-El wrote:This was certainly evidenced in the last US election.

how so? Are you saying that Hillary deserved to win,

No, interesting but pretty weak deflection. I'm saying if Hillary deserved to lose so bad (and I agree), one would think the Republicans could have easily presented a much better candidate than the mentally defunct goof they put into office ...

... or are you still apologizing for Trump.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

removed.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 6th, 2018, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:-X :topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

It is sad to see the confusion. People are confused. A staged event like all these shootings does not mean a fake event. Real people are killed and maimed. Etc. Its horrible what the democrats are doing. I do not know how they are brainwashing these kids. We should look at the schooling. Especially the teachers. Something is going wrong to make these kids turn into killers. Need to find out who is pulling the strings.

Most of these events there is never any good trajectory impact ballistic info gets released. U never get to see the pegs in the wall showing where the shots came from. That in itself is very suspicious . There is more than meets the eye. Every event there are reports of multiple shooters.
Always later said to be false. Just a lone crazed gunman.

I suggest some of u whack a doodle liberals watch an old Jeff Bridges film Arlington Road. Might give u a little perspective
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “World”