D-day or Vimy Ridge over and over every year in the news.

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: D-day or Vimy Ridge over and over every year in the news

Post by Catsumi »

I am glad that my post of All's Quiet evoked memories and emotions, although sad ones.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

RupertBear wrote:One thing I brought away from my visit to Vimy Ridge was the tour's hosts telling us that we should hold no animosity towards soldiers from either side. Allied or German, the soldiers fighting were there for either adventure, money or their flag; none of the soldiers came harbouring a personal grudge.

How long ago were you there? We had a guide from New Brunswick. It was so good to see Canadians (young people who were the same age as most of the soldiers who.died there) running the whole site, really felt how important this site was to Canada. Had the same experience at Beaumont-Hamel (battle of the Somme). I suggest if you go all the way to France that you visit this site as well.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Catsumi wrote:I am glad that my post of All's Quiet evoked memories and emotions, although sad ones.

Ehh..You hit a home run clear out of the ball park! Thank you my friend.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

rustled wrote:Huge sacrifices were made by people who would never have chosen to make those sacrifices for the leaders of their countries or done the harm they were forced to participate in doing to others. They, too, were in some ways liberated by the war coming to an end, but perhaps they could not celebrate that liberation at the time. And perhaps they still don't feel they can fully share the commemorations today, because the way we remember focuses on the divisions, and not the shared relief that we could all stop hurting each other.

Am I getting that right?

I went back to re-read the thread (thankfully I've not been massacred for what I've said). But my earlier response to your post (above) wasn't good enough, because for some reason I didn't pickup your full meaning. The "shared relief" sentence is poignant in terms of what I was trying to say (in a twisted way).

I'm also aware of the post war "marshal plan" to assist in re-building war damaged economies (including the enemy) that may have contributed to our former enemies ability to recover and become what they are today.

Thank you for your "likes"; it was only on re-reading your post that I think I fully realize how they were meant.

Yeah... "we could all stop hurting each other."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

A good read in regards to WW1 is by Timothy Findlay, The Wars.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29898.The_Wars

Truly emeshes you in WW1 war history. So poignant and sad.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Another university liberal art degree novel studied in first year English was Generals Die in Bed, by Harrison.

Excellent reading and yes, the point is right in the title, what General died on the battle scene?

https://quillandquire.com/review/generals-die-in-bed/
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/298 ... Last_Words

I read this one, not as a requirement, but because of my lasting respect for Findlay's work as a novelist.

Also talks about WW2 and it's aftermath. A great read.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

The stupidity of war, couple of examples,

WW1 Christmas at the front The Germans and Brits getting together and sing Holy night. Next day they kill each other
WW2 A number of Canadians were captured by an SS tank brigade. Instead of POW they were shot.

Lest we forget, Lest we forget.

Return to “World”