Friday, October 31st10.4°C
23888
23779

Responding to open racism

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 4th, 2013, 9:36 pm

I think we can all see by yet another closed thread, that responding to open racism...never ends well.
So, in my experience, it is still most often a subject I give little to no time to, by my actions.
I ignore.
It saves all bystanders from the discomfort of witnessing such negativity in their space.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby zzontar » Feb 4th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Graham Adder wrote:I think we can all see by yet another closed thread, that responding to open racism...never ends well.
So, in my experience, it is still most often a subject I give little to no time to, by my actions.
I ignore.
It saves all bystanders from the discomfort of witnessing such negativity in their space.


The thread seemed civil enough. The posts that demeaned others the most appear to be yours.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 7257
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 328 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 4th, 2013, 11:04 pm

You're like a yappy dog.
Get off my leg.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby zzontar » Feb 4th, 2013, 11:24 pm

Graham Adder wrote:You're like a yappy dog.
Get off my leg.


You commented about a another thread being closed that I was partaking in and I commented on it on this thread that I was posting on before you because that's how forums work, but cry and whine if you must.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 7257
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 328 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby kibbs » Feb 4th, 2013, 11:34 pm

[quot.I said this before .Natives wanted to share the land fairly from the start it was us ,the European settlers that had other ideas .


What movie was that in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyJnpIMPQIs
A Bicycle is better than a lover because they are always ready.......to go out for a good time!
User avatar
kibbs
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2943
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Oct 30th, 2012, 9:04 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby wolfen_one » Feb 5th, 2013, 8:15 am

Tecumseh, though he did many brave things,was from Ohio and later Indiana territory along with his people and was fighting against the U.S previous to the war of 1812. Allying with the British against the U.S does not IMO show that native peoples as far away as Haida Gwai or anywhere in between had any part of or possibly even any knowledge of what was going on back east. How can people blanket all the First Nations (0ver 600) together, whether it be back then or in the present, with negative or positive stereotypes.
I want to clarify that contrary to what some posters here may think. I am not against First Nations or any other people in Canada. What I am against is abuses of funds doled out by Ottawa that many times have no recorded use or benefit at all to the ones that need it. I'm just sick of MY hard earned $$$ being pissed away!
wolfen_one
Fledgling
 
Posts: 120
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 5th, 2013, 10:26 am

wolfen_one wrote:Tecumseh, though he did many brave things,was from Ohio and later Indiana territory along with his people and was fighting against the U.S previous to the war of 1812. Allying with the British against the U.S does not IMO show that native peoples as far away as Haida Gwai or anywhere in between had any part of or possibly even any knowledge of what was going on back east. How can people blanket all the First Nations (0ver 600) together, whether it be back then or in the present, with negative or positive stereotypes.
I want to clarify that contrary to what some posters here may think. I am not against First Nations or any other people in Canada. What I am against is abuses of funds doled out by Ottawa that many times have no recorded use or benefit at all to the ones that need it. I'm just sick of MY hard earned $$$ being pissed away!

In response to your first paragraph, I'd say, "You just can't fix stupid."
To your second paragraph, I'd agree.

I'd like to see open transparency to all government dollars going on to reserves.
Until each reserve is financially independent and able to self sustain through there own use and management of natural resources or skills to exploit for financial stability, we need to implement programs to educate and train people with modern skill sets to transition from impoverished and weak, to empowered and self supporting. These programs also need to be transparent. We need to foster methods that embrace and nurture a torn people and their heritage, while keeping tight and justifiable reigns on how the funding is utilized toward this goal.

Anyone with a bit of clarity and reasoning can see that we cannot, should not and will not sustain this current system of tossing monies down a well of deep pockets without knowing where the money is going and why.
It's not supporting anyone to toss funds at a people that haven't got the foundation or infrastructure in place to deal effectively and proactively with those funds.

We need to support many of the First Nations across Canada in ways that offer tangible results while also keeping to a reasonable deadline. It takes time to repair broken spirits, and the fact is...there are many reserves that have been and remain broken to this day over atrocities that are still happening today.

They are still happening today people. Get that into your heads.
All the shameful past, is still a shameful present.
One need not but scratch the surface to find examples of people being abused, mistreated and having their rights and lands taken from them by an entity they never have seen.
It is simply not right.

I'm always a bit floored by the ignorance of so many that think this is all about the past.
Get your fat head out of the toilet and give it a shake.
The First Nations people of this country never went to a war.
Get that into you.
Many of the First Nations across this country have never signed over or given up their lands. This country is not constructed of borders of ownership.
More land than any of us can even conceive is still...legally...owned by First Nations that have never signed a treaty...never been pulled from their lands and never went to any war and lost.
I think there are a lot that need to delve back into their history texts for some basic brushing up.

I'm not so stupid as to think we can just stop payment and force people without the skills or core structure to assimilate into our modern work force just because a few limited thinkers scream about their tax dollars.
Coincidentally the same bunch does no squealing or crying over the billions spent on non-native issues.

We also need to...have to...stop comparing ourselves to "any other country".
We aren't any other country.
We've got a chance to do things differently.
We're given a gift of another chance that many countries do not have.
There is nothing to compare, so stop trying.

We are Canada.
We can and will make things right.
You're either a part of the solution...or you're a part of the problem.
I'm seeing a few in these pages that seem to pride themselves on their ignorance, stupidity and lack of understanding that they...are a part of the problem.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Boda » Feb 5th, 2013, 11:36 am

Graham wrote:

We need to support many of the First Nations across Canada in ways that offer tangible results while also keeping to a reasonable deadline. It takes time to repair broken spirits, and the fact is...there are many reserves that have been and remain broken to this day over atrocities that are still happening today.


Agreed, with the caveat that what you refer to as a "reasonable deadline" can be agreed to as a "defined deadline".


Graham wrote:

They are still happening today people. Get that into your heads.
All the shameful past, is still a shameful present.
One need not but scratch the surface to find examples of people being abused, mistreated and having their rights and lands taken from them by an entity they never have seen.
It is simply not right.



What atriocities do you refer to Graham?
What lands are any entities trying to cofinscate from leagally deeded ownership?
User avatar
Boda
Board Meister
 
Posts: 424
Likes: 5 posts
Liked in: 31 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:21 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 5th, 2013, 12:16 pm

Boda wrote:What atriocities do you refer to Graham?
What lands are any entities trying to cofinscate from leagally deeded ownership?


Legally deeded ownership?
How about lands that have never had deeded ownership.
Who dictates the confines of such deed and who is the holder of such a piece of toilet paper?

Read:
http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/monitor/path-destruction
http://www.politicolnews.com/first-nations-protest-pm-harper-destroying-land-treaties-for-big-oil/
http://www.facebook.com/OccupyCanada/posts/529930803692174

You just KNOW I could go on and on with posts.
You don't have to dig...just scratch.
It's all on the surface right now. You need only look.

From my early teens to present, our Canadian Gov't has been tying up your tax dollars trying to steal a piece of land from a reserve in Ontario. It's an unceded reserve, meaning they have NEVER relinquished their lands. They have NEVER signed away their rights. They have in fact NEVER signed a treaty.

The reserve has a location that has been used for about ten thousand years for traditions by the First Nations who reside there.
They have been guardians if not stewards of that land for the same amount of time.
Remember, this tribe has NEVER signed a treaty to give up their lands. This is their land.
There is gold throughout the area and as it happens there is a big juicy vein running directly through this piece of rock.

Quartzite often contains gold. It also often radiates an energy that can be measured. The combination of minerals and traditions make this piece of land irreplaceable and priceless to these people, yet guess what?

You've guessed it. The gov't has been tying this matter up in courts since my early teens. It's so wrapped up in red tape now, that it's draining the funding from this First Nation and using your tax dollars to keep things slowly advancing toward taking that rock and busting it open for a one shot deal on cashing in the gold.

It happens today.
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby cliffy1 » Feb 5th, 2013, 2:02 pm

And with very few treaties ever signed in BC, most of BC is unceded land. Who gave the crown the right to give land and resources to outside interests? Who gave the crown the right to issue fee simple title to land that did not belong to it? The land and resources have all been stolen from the aboriginals in this province and then we hear people whining about all the free money Indians get for nothing. Tell me how that is not racism. Tell me how theft of aboriginal land is not happening today.
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 863
Likes: 35 posts
Liked in: 49 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby zzontar » Feb 5th, 2013, 2:15 pm

cliffy1 wrote:And with very few treaties ever signed in BC, most of BC is unceded land. Who gave the crown the right to give land and resources to outside interests? Who gave the crown the right to issue fee simple title to land that did not belong to it? The land and resources have all been stolen from the aboriginals in this province and then we hear people whining about all the free money Indians get for nothing. Tell me how that is not racism. Tell me how theft of aboriginal land is not happening today.


Everyone else in the whole world had ancestors who wandered or lived on the land somewhere and probably lost land in one of the many wars in history. Do you believe every person in the world should be entitled to royalties from resources developed on their ancestral land as well as the land itself, or just the natives here?
They say you can't believe everything they say.
User avatar
zzontar
Guru
 
Posts: 7257
Likes: 37 posts
Liked in: 328 posts
Joined: Oct 12th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby wolfen_one » Feb 5th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Graham Adder wrote:[
In response to your first paragraph, I'd say, "You just can't fix stupid."
To your second paragraph, I'd agree.

I:

We need to support many of the First Nations across Canada in ways that offer tangible results while also keeping to a reasonable deadline. It takes time to repair broken spirits, and the fact is...there are many reserves that have been and remain broken to this day over atrocities that are still happening today.

They are still happening today people. Get that into your heads.
All the shameful past, is still a shameful present.
One need not but scratch the surface to find examples of people being abused, mistreated and having their rights and lands taken from them by an entity they never have seen.
It is simply not right.

I'm always a bit floored by the ignorance of so many that think this is all about the past.
Get your fat head out of the toilet and give it a shake.
The First Nations people of this country never went to a war.
Get that into you.
Many of the First Nations across this country have never signed over or given up their lands. This country is not constructed of borders of ownership.
More land than any of us can even conceive is still...legally...owned by First Nations that have never signed a treaty...never been pulled from their lands and never went to any war and lost.
I think there are a lot that need to delve back into their history texts for some basic brushing up.

I'm not so stupid as to think we can just stop payment and force people without the skills or core structure to assimilate into our modern work force just because a few limited thinkers scream about their tax dollars.
Coincidentally the same bunch does no squealing or crying over the billions spent on non-native issues.

We also need to...have to...stop comparing ourselves to "any other country".
We aren't any other country.
We've got a chance to do things differently.
We're given a gift of another chance that many countries do not have.
There is nothing to compare, so stop trying.

We are Canada.
We can and will make things right.
You're either a part of the solution...or you're a part of the problem.
I'm seeing a few in these pages that seem to pride themselves on their ignorance, stupidity and lack of understanding that they...are a part of the problem.






WOW...If the only way you can get your point across is by name calling and insulting maybe you should work in parliament :200:
wolfen_one
Fledgling
 
Posts: 120
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby Graham Adder » Feb 5th, 2013, 5:13 pm

wolfen_one wrote:WOW...If the only way you can get your point across is by name calling and insulting maybe you should work in parliament :200:

:dyinglaughing:
Have you read this thread?
It would appear not.
Next?
User avatar
Graham Adder
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4315
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 11 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby cliffy1 » Feb 5th, 2013, 7:43 pm

zzontar wrote:Everyone else in the whole world had ancestors who wandered or lived on the land somewhere and probably lost land in one of the many wars in history. Do you believe every person in the world should be entitled to royalties from resources developed on their ancestral land as well as the land itself, or just the natives here?

The aboriginals have not been defeated in war or ceded their land to treaties, As far as I'm concerned it is still their land. If oil was discovered on your property, would you not expect royalty payments?
Trying to get spiritual nourishment from a two thousand year old book is like trying to suck milk from the breast of a woman who has been dead that long.
User avatar
cliffy1
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 863
Likes: 35 posts
Liked in: 49 posts
Joined: Mar 5th, 2011, 1:41 pm
Location: Nakusp

Re: Responding to open racism

Postby wolfen_one » Feb 5th, 2013, 8:54 pm

cliffy1 wrote:The aboriginals have not been defeated in war or ceded their land to treaties, As far as I'm concerned it is still their land. If oil was discovered on your property, would you not expect royalty payments?




Guess all of us that were born here and whose families have been here for hundreds of years should just move then and give it all back :runforlife:
wolfen_one
Fledgling
 
Posts: 120
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sep 14th, 2009, 7:59 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Social, Economic and Environmental Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest