Imposing your morals upon others is just wrong

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
anonymouscoward777

Imposing your morals upon others is just wrong

Post by anonymouscoward777 »

public service announcement :up:
spooker

Re: Imposing your morals upon others is just wrong

Post by spooker »

Come on, beating others around the head and shoulders with how right I am is my right and people will just have to learn to fix themselves based on my beliefs and the way that I think the world should be ... my anger and righteousness is the guide you need to live a better life :up:
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

They will have to come up with another modus operandi as the failed public shaming thing was a bust.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

No clue what this is about.

Not talking about "imposing" morals on people. But for the minority that do have morals, thank you for conducting yourselves the way you do instead of like the majority of revolting savages and idiots we now call "society".
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

No it's not...in fact we write the Good ones down and call it law..
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Since no two individuals have the same life experience, it is doubtful that morals can be taught.
Living on the street you learn that if you want to eat you have to take what you can when you can.
Growing up in your pretty little house with a full belly and a warm bed will give you a completely different moral compass.
Waste not
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Grandan wrote:Since no two individuals have the same life experience, it is doubtful that morals can be taught.
Living on the street you learn that if you want to eat you have to take what you can when you can.
Growing up in your pretty little house with a full belly and a warm bed will give you a completely different moral compass.

Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.

I have kids. Believe me, I have and am still teaching them that message.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

What am I missing here? Is there a link? A reference? An earlier post? Clues? Blue please, clues.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Here is a link to relevant context.

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=70631
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

anonymouscoward777, what morals are you discussing, and in what way do you feel they are being imposed?

As an example:

I've had some interaction with a former roommate about morals. I owned the house; therefore, I set the rules. She was under absolutely no obligation to continue living in my house. You see, my morals governed 'house rules' of the house I owned, therefore I had the reasonable authority to impose certain moral standards within the confines of my house. She failed. We conflicted. She found out she was 100% wrong. She left. End of story.

Offspring has had to come to terms with the same thing... all offspring, in all households do. It's a global thing, really.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Modern society is built upon a set of common agreed morals and punishments for breaking those morals.

Simply saying "Don't impose your morals" is very naïve as imposing morals is the cornerstone of a society.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

kgcayenne wrote:anonymouscoward777, what morals are you discussing, and in what way do you feel they are being imposed?

As an example:

I've had some interaction with a former roommate about morals. I owned the house; therefore, I set the rules. She was under absolutely no obligation to continue living in my house. You see, my morals governed 'house rules' of the house I owned, therefore I had the reasonable authority to impose certain moral standards within the confines of my house. She failed. We conflicted. She found out she was 100% wrong. She left. End of story.

Offspring has had to come to terms with the same thing... all offspring, in all households do. It's a global thing, really.

I think you are confusing morals, desire, and rules. Morals simply means sense of "right" vs "wrong". It doesn't influence where or how they are applied nor the punishment for going against those morals. Creating and enforcing rules is not the same thing as creating and enforcing/imposing morals.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

House rules are governed by morals in a lot of homes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Fancy wrote:House rules are governed by morals in a lot of homes.

Rules are often created and enforced based on morals yes. But they're also often created based on vanity, greed, etc.

For example: Why do movie theaters have a rule not allowing you to bring your own snacks/drinks? Is it because it's morally wrong to bring these items? Or is it because they want to increase profits by forcing you to buy these items from them? Is it morally wrong to have a messy bedroom?

There's a huge difference between enforcing/imposing morals and enforcing/imposing rules.
Last edited by TylerM4 on Feb 22nd, 2017, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It helps to understand the differences between morals, ethics and values and the reason rules and laws are put in place.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Social Concerns”