Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Millenials don't donate? WRONG, CAN'T AFFORD TO DONATE.

Post by Grandan »

Queen K wrote:By hand, I dug done, cut roots with hacksaws and used tools to remove all manners of debris from all around the roots. I hacked roots all around both stumps til I had a free standing stump to be pulled by a truck. The driver said, "you did what? By hand? why?" I said, because I didn't want live roots sending up suckers. Which was already happening. Did I mention having to chop the suckers down first? OH, and the Chinese elm hedge out front also had to be dealt with. I had a line of Chinese Elm stumps sending up suckers too. I didn't want to deal with those yearly, so I also chopped and dug until I called a stump grinding outfit. Do I have to mention everything?

But I'm a late Boomer. So I have work ethic. This property was derlic and now people will stop their cars and compliment me on the gardens and tell me how they love watching the seasonal changes.

14 years worth.

But Millenials can't afford it because to get the half million for it, they'd need $100K just to keep CHMC at bay. How do they get that kind of downpayment?

I am pleased to hear that we weren't the only people digging out stumps by hand in this town. The process usually started with my wife on her hands and knees scraping away the dirt and me taking turns heaving out the spoil. I know all about digging around the roots. I have heard that water can be your friend when trying to clean around roots (as long as it has somewhere to drain)
Now that I have a tractor with a loader, the process is much less strenuous.
We had a Chinese Elm hedge on Benvoulin Road and it was beyond the point of removing it by any means except by excavator so we kept it as neat as we could.
I have tried removing trees with a truck (2500 Cummins) and I was surprised at how much strength is in those roots.
I know why you dug deep.
There is no quick fix to finding a down payment. Often it is a parent or grand parent who comes up with a portion of the DP.
I think you need a 10% down payment for personal residence. Often it is the other personal debt that disqualifies the applicant from a mortgage.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bman wrote:I never had running water or electricity when I was a kid, and I'm nowhere close to as old as you may think. I grew up in a place that most young people in this country would rather die in than live.
I milked cows by hand and ran the manually cranked cream separator. Soap was made with rendered fat and lye made from the stove ash, not something from a package from Wal-Mart . And not even suds were wasted. Nothing was. A treat was something we shot, or from a Saskatoon tree. A warm weekly bath was drawn from the well hand dug into the water table and heated on a stove that was fuelled by wood we cut and split, and was brought home with a horse and sleigh. The bath was had in a small galvanized tub that we brought in from outside into in the only room the family never slept in, but if they weren't sleeping or working, that's the room they were all in. The well pump was run on a single piston gas motor with a pulley. Gasoline was a precious commodity, making water even more so.The summer's ice was cut from a river before break up and was also brought home on a sleigh. It was stored in a pile of sawdust and chips and had to last till septembers end. The house I grew up in was hewn with two axes and chinked with moss. Harvest time was time away from the school that I rarely attended .
I never owned a new pair of shoes until I bought a pair with my own money that I earned away from home.
Ditto for restaurant food and winter clothes. Clothes were more often than not made from a sugar sack. Bedding was quilted from snything woven. I was half blind most my childhood till I could afford my own eyewear.
Work and foresight was necessary for our survival.
I have family who fled persecution, travelling barefoot only at night.
I left home at an early age, 13, and worked day and night seven days a week for many years and endeavored to get ahead,
My education was for the most part acheived as an adult.
I accumulated wealth that as a child I would never dream of.
But I worked for it. 100 hour work weeks were normal. Decades of them.
Many younger people have nothing but excuses.
Many of them have no idea what hard work, work ethics, sacrifice and determination is.
They have a sense of entitlement that says everyone before them owes them their life's work.
They haven't a clue what it's like to go without.
Imo they are one cataclysm away from either suffering to death or killing their loved ones in their sleep so they can eat. It doesn't take much of a fool to burn his only possessions to stay warm.
I bet when the chips are down that's what the majority would do.
Consider what the western world would be like a week after an emp renders most the grid inoperative.
Lol.
If the average person saw a potatoe come out of the ground, and a chicken get slaughtered with a hatchet, they would rather starve than eat.
But every single one of the would order fries and mcnuggets.
Every day for lunch.
Lol. Millenials.
Bubble wrapped by their helicopter parents.
I find it funny that I'm the first one they call with the slightest problem.
They don't have a clue what a problem is.
Millenials can't afford to donate?
They haven't a clue what they can't afford.
Lol.
Millenials.
Most of my friends are millenials.
They sure do squeal when they cut themselves.

BMan, you sound like you grew up in the same era as my wife except there was no pump on the well.
She talks about the hunger, the cold and the loneliness.

The radio was not for listening to music, it was for listening to messages, the only way to communicate long distances in the day. Could not be wasting batteries on ridiculous music. There was no electricity.

My wife left home at 13 and fortunately was able to stay with an aunt who educated her, fed her, clothed her but worked her like a dog because that is all my wife knew at 13.

I don't think the youn 'uns appreciate the dearth of goods available in the past. Every thing was dear from tools to appliances and expensive relative to our incomes at the time. Now you can furnish a house from all the free stuff on Castanet. It wasn't always so.
What is also special is they think it was our fault that things were the way they were
Waste not
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Grandan wrote:
Bman wrote:I never had running water or electricity when I was a kid, and I'm nowhere close to as old as you may think. I grew up in a place that most young people in this country would rather die in than live.
I milked cows by hand and ran the manually cranked cream separator. Soap was made with rendered fat and lye made from the stove ash, not something from a package from Wal-Mart . And not even suds were wasted. Nothing was. A treat was something we shot, or from a Saskatoon tree. A warm weekly bath was drawn from the well hand dug into the water table and heated on a stove that was fuelled by wood we cut and split, and was brought home with a horse and sleigh. The bath was had in a small galvanized tub that we brought in from outside into in the only room the family never slept in, but if they weren't sleeping or working, that's the room they were all in. The well pump was run on a single piston gas motor with a pulley. Gasoline was a precious commodity, making water even more so.The summer's ice was cut from a river before break up and was also brought home on a sleigh. It was stored in a pile of sawdust and chips and had to last till septembers end. The house I grew up in was hewn with two axes and chinked with moss. Harvest time was time away from the school that I rarely attended .
I never owned a new pair of shoes until I bought a pair with my own money that I earned away from home.
Ditto for restaurant food and winter clothes. Clothes were more often than not made from a sugar sack. Bedding was quilted from snything woven. I was half blind most my childhood till I could afford my own eyewear.
Work and foresight was necessary for our survival.
I have family who fled persecution, travelling barefoot only at night.
I left home at an early age, 13, and worked day and night seven days a week for many years and endeavored to get ahead,
My education was for the most part acheived as an adult.
I accumulated wealth that as a child I would never dream of.
But I worked for it. 100 hour work weeks were normal. Decades of them.
Many younger people have nothing but excuses.
Many of them have no idea what hard work, work ethics, sacrifice and determination is.
They have a sense of entitlement that says everyone before them owes them their life's work.
They haven't a clue what it's like to go without.
Imo they are one cataclysm away from either suffering to death or killing their loved ones in their sleep so they can eat. It doesn't take much of a fool to burn his only possessions to stay warm.
I bet when the chips are down that's what the majority would do.
Consider what the western world would be like a week after an emp renders most the grid inoperative.
Lol.
If the average person saw a potatoe come out of the ground, and a chicken get slaughtered with a hatchet, they would rather starve than eat.
But every single one of the would order fries and mcnuggets.
Every day for lunch.
Lol. Millenials.
Bubble wrapped by their helicopter parents.
I find it funny that I'm the first one they call with the slightest problem.
They don't have a clue what a problem is.
Millenials can't afford to donate?
They haven't a clue what they can't afford.
Lol.
Millenials.
Most of my friends are millenials.
They sure do squeal when they cut themselves.

BMan, you sound like you grew up in the same era as my wife except there was no pump on the well.
She talks about the hunger, the cold and the loneliness.

The radio was not for listening to music, it was for listening to messages, the only way to communicate long distances in the day. Could not be wasting batteries on ridiculous music. There was no electricity.

My wife left home at 13 and fortunately was able to stay with an aunt who educated her, fed her, clothed her but worked her like a dog because that is all my wife knew at 13.

I don't think the youn 'uns appreciate the dearth of goods available in the past. Every thing was dear from tools to appliances and expensive relative to our incomes at the time. Now you can furnish a house from all the free stuff on Castanet. It wasn't always so.
What is also special is they think it was our fault that things were the way they were

.....and they call it "winning the birth lottery".....
You and 71 others Like this post
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Queen K wrote:I should buy it. I hate having all this counter space AND room to turn around in the bathroom.
If I rent this place out, the rent would pay for my pad rent and all the gas money going back and forth to work.
I'd even have enough left over for a CO2 alarm for the camper AND buying meals out all the time to avoid the hassle of having to store food where there is no storage.

Millenials, move over.

Don't get a co2 alarm. They're always going off . :-)
Get a CO alarm. That'll help keep you alive.
Don't bother with it tho if you don't have anything in your home that runs on gas or propane.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Wow, I feel so much better about myself, I think I made a real
difference in peoples lives.

Just in this thread alone I clicked "like" several times.

My heart is filled with the warmth of my gracious generosity.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Bman wrote:Clothes were more often than not made from a sugar sack

Uh huh, so we're now talking about how baby boomers are better people because they were forced to wear clothing made from sacks of sugar?

After you outgrew your sack clothing I hope you donated it to charity. Donating clothes is an easy way to hep.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bman wrote:
Queen K wrote:I should buy it. I hate having all this counter space AND room to turn around in the bathroom.
If I rent this place out, the rent would pay for my pad rent and all the gas money going back and forth to work.
I'd even have enough left over for a CO2 alarm for the camper AND buying meals out all the time to avoid the hassle of having to store food where there is no storage. (CO alarm - oooopppss, no "2" in it :up: )

Millenials, move over.

Don't get a co2 alarm. They're always going off . :-)
Get a CO alarm. That'll help keep you alive.
Don't bother with it tho if you don't have anything in your home that runs on gas or propane.

That's why I love you Bman, always looking out for me. :kiss: I had planned to get natural gas installed. I like cooking with it better. Surely to god there'd be a way. Wanna rent my dump? You could downsize from your palace and rent it for $3000/month and up date those sugar sacks.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

HorganIsMyHero wrote: I hope you donated it to charity. Donating clothes is an easy way to hep.

They can't be donated, they are still in use.

They are the prop costumes for the crews of psuedo homeless street people to go
out and panhandle in.

More authentic.

Gotta pay for the Palace, the small fleet of Rolls Royces' and the new
Bentley on order.
Wouldn't want to dip into the vault to cover costs of day to day "needs"
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:
Bman wrote:Clothes were more often than not made from a sugar sack

Uh huh, so we're now talking about how baby boomers are better people because they were forced to wear clothing made from sacks of sugar?

After you outgrew your sack clothing I hope you donated it to charity. Donating clothes is an easy way to hep.

Better is your word, not mine.
You sound so bitter.
About everything.

I cherish every moment of every day, and am content.
I get as much happiness from my failures as I do my successes.
Every day is s gift.
Nobody knows what's really important until they are staring into whatever abyss life tosses at them.
And everyone will ultimately end up there.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

dirtybiker wrote:See, and then you wonder why no one donates to Millenials.

They are too confused on the issues and get quite uppity because they
think everything revolves around them.

They take things too personal.

We have just had how many posts about “Well I did this” “and I never had that”.... I’m surprised there wasn’t an “uphill both ways” post.

A bunch of non-millennials making a this thread revolve around them. I’d say millennials have learned from the best. :smt045
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Sparki55 wrote:
mexi cali wrote:Too Ecodrive, or whatever; There is just so much drivel in all of your posts, I wouldn't know where to start dissecting them.

The teeth thing jumps out though. You must be British.

Between my wifes sistes family and ours, we have five kids. They, all of them have figured out what it takes to survive and thrive. They all were born and raised here so this is what they know.

They own houses, one of them has two. They have great jobs. One is studying to be a dentist. One has two Masters degrees. One has his own business. One, without benefit of a post secondary education is a project manager for a local business. ONe is married, owns their own home and doesn't have toowrk because the millennial husband does just fine, thank you very much, and yes, he too was born and raised here.

All millenials.

Their parents were not wealthy by any stretch yet the whole shebang are out there tearing it and dooing better than we were at the same age.

So where does the problem lie?

I call BS. I have friends working in trades, as nurses and an engineer buddy who all don't own homes. What's your point? Only one person in a couple working, how? Right place, right time. Pre-planning and available funds. It's damn near impossible to buy a home with 2 working full time. These children of yours must all make over $80,000 each a year(median family income in Canada is $76,000). No, they don't. Some make much more. One doesn't work cuz her husband has it dialed in but they make less than that, they just know how to budget and one day, the money will come. Two (niece and nephew, the ones with the Masters degrees) make a truck load more. Two (another niece and nephew make more than that and one is studying to be a dentist.

Two masters degrees? When the F does one find time to work full time and get 2 masters. That's the beauty of being really smart. Companies court you and they actually pay you to go to school. What a concept. The cost of two masters degrees is up in the $100,000 range :200: so don't tell me they weren't working, going to school and managed to buy a house all before turning 35? Not 35 and the "masters" gal has two homes. In fairness, she had to work a part time job when she was an under grad but after that? They came a knockin. My other nephew and niece are not yet 30 and neither has a post secondary education but they bought their first house 5 years ago. They have made a fair bit on it since then.

I've heard enough of people blaming millennials and posting ridiculous stories and saying, you can do it too! This generation makes enough to get 1 degree while living at home with parents, moving out @22-23 , getting a job and saving until 30 to buy a 1 bed condo, one of my kids bought that one bedroom condo and it was a wise investment or team up with a SO and buy a 2 bed condo or small townhome. It works but in no means is it as easy as the generation before who owned single family home with yards.

We agree on one thing sir or madame, it isn't as easy today. It wasn't all that easy yesterday. The mindest was different. The prioroties were different. Houses were less and so were wages. Houses have outstirpped wages as far as growth goes but they are still not out of reach. It is just more difficult. But it's not impossible, not by any stretch.

My examples are true and until someone decided to start this thread, I didn't relly think much about what my kids have managed to accomplish. They just did it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

At any second this could turn in to my favorite Monty Python routine - The 4 Yorkshire Men. but a hint
"Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

GC: The best WE could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.

TJ: But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.

MP: Aye. BECAUSE we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, 'Money doesn't buy you happiness.'

EI: 'E was right. I was happier then and I had NOTHIN'. We used to live in this tiiiny old house, with greaaaaat big holes in the roof.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I was thinking of that very skit from MP. :130:
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^ :hailjo: ^^^^
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I've said more than once" We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank".
Off to dust off my Birth certificate carved in a piece of stone
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Social Concerns”