Sickening. What is wrong with people?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Snman
Übergod

Sickening. What is wrong with people?

Post by Snman »

This sickening tale reminded me of Rena Virk. What motivates people to do this to another human being? I just don't get it.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/22 ... al-beating
I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance - Socrates
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Sickening. What is wrong with people?

Post by Jflem1983 »

Snman wrote:This sickening tale reminded me of Rena Virk. What motivates people to do this to another human being? I just don't get it.

Lack of education has to play a role
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Snman wrote:This sickening tale reminded me of Rena Virk. What motivates people to do this to another human being? I just don't get it.

Alcohol and lack of supervision for teenagers.
Waste not
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Our society has become desensitized to violence. What should repulse us, excites us.

How many similar beatings and other violent deaths has each of us witnessed through TV and movies? Hundreds? Thousands? I'm not taking the simplistic path of saying we watch these things and then go and imitate them. But absolutely believe the violence we are exposed to through media plays a part.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

I think there is many variables that play apart in creating teens that kill.

Lack of love and loving family environment
Lack of touch in early years
Societies portrayal of violence.
Lack of empathetic roll models
Lack of expectation
Lack of community
Brain Damage (injury, drug use etc, FAS, disorders)
Not getting needs met

and more....
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

JayByrd wrote:Our society has become desensitized to violence. What should repulse us, excites us.

How many similar beatings and other violent deaths has each of us witnessed through TV and movies? Hundreds? Thousands? I'm not taking the simplistic path of saying we watch these things and then go and imitate them. But absolutely believe the violence we are exposed to through media plays a part.

You can "absolutely believe" that the violence through the media that we're exposed to makes us violent, but obviously it doesn't have that effect on everyone, which tells me that it's not actually the violence we're exposed to; it's the individual.

Who among us, never watched violence on TV as a child, or played violent video games? I did both and still do. I'm not a violent person. I actually don't have much of a stomach for reading about the real life violence anymore.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

JayByrd wrote:Our society has become desensitized to violence. What should repulse us, excites us.

youjustcomplain wrote:You can "absolutely believe" that the violence through the media that we're exposed to makes us violent, but obviously it doesn't have that effect on everyone, which tells me that it's not actually the violence we're exposed to; it's the individual.

Who among us, never watched violence on TV as a child, or played violent video games? I did both and still do. I'm not a violent person. I actually don't have much of a stomach for reading about the real life violence anymore.

Exactly, just like not everyone who tries drugs or alcohol gets addicted.
Each one of us has some type of an addiction i.e drugs, alcohol, sex, food, gaming etc...etc, it's not until we actual come into contact with the item... thing or substance. That person doesn't believe its a problem, those closest to them do see the problem, unfortunately in many cases the addiction takes over.
Hopefully this make sense
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Bad parenting broken households
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

youjustcomplain wrote:You can "absolutely believe" that the violence through the media that we're exposed to makes us violent, but obviously it doesn't have that effect on everyone, which tells me that it's not actually the violence we're exposed to; it's the individual.

I don't know how old you are, but unless you're still in University or college I'm willing to bet that the violence you used to watch on TV as a child was nowhere near as graphic as the violence we witness on our TV's today.

Ditto for video games; games such as Pacman or Super Mario were not as realistic or as graphic as many of the currently available video games are.

The more realistic and graphic images we are subjected to, as well as wide media coverage of violent acts, tend to lower our "shock" response to such things. And the younger you are when you are exposed to this kind of stuff, the greater the effect.

Although it's true that not everyone exposed to such stuff will become violent, individual reactions probably depend on how emotionally stable the person is in the first place, the fact that there appears to be an ever growing percentage of our society that IS becoming violent, ought to be of concern.

Do we REALLY need a daily dose of exposure to increasingly graphic, violent images? Particularly when it's only for entertainment purposes? Or would it be better to "tone it down" a bit in the name of public safety?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Merry wrote:I don't know how old you are, but unless you're still in University or college I'm willing to bet that the violence you used to watch on TV as a child was nowhere near as graphic as the violence we witness on our TV's today.

Ditto for video games; games such as Pacman or Super Mario were not as realistic or as graphic as many of the currently available video games are.

The more realistic and graphic images we are subjected to, as well as wide media coverage of violent acts, tend to lower our "shock" response to such things. And the younger you are when you are exposed to this kind of stuff, the greater the effect.

Although it's true that not everyone exposed to such stuff will become violent, individual reactions probably depend on how emotionally stable the person is in the first place, the fact that there appears to be an ever growing percentage of our society that IS becoming violent, ought to be of concern.

Do we REALLY need a daily dose of exposure to increasingly graphic, violent images? Particularly when it's only for entertainment purposes? Or would it be better to "tone it down" a bit in the name of public safety?

I don't, honestly, know just how violent the scenes were that I saw on TV or in video games as a child. I grew up in the 70's and 80's, so though Pac Man was a thing, that wasn't at all what I was suggesting when I say that I grew up on violent shows or video games. :) Eating ghosts that look like they're in my breakfast cereal doesn't seem so harmful.

That said, I watched slasher movies and horror movies. I played video games where you tear peoples heads off and the full gore is on display. (I'm not saying that ripping peoples heads off in a game is a healthy message by any means).

But through our past, before this violent media trend started, we had violence. Our species has quite the colorful history of violence. It's a gross part of us. I won't go ahead and say that displaying lots of violence does anything to help where we're going as a society, but I'm also not sure it's the cause of the violence either. Violence precedes our media.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Lot of assumptions being made, given that we have no idea if these girls ever watched violent movies or played games at all. We all have a capacity for violence. Evolutionarily we are not much different from what we were 20,000 years ago. Herd mentality, tribal instinct, peer pressure. All things that are more likely to have contributed to this attack than the fact one of them may have seen The Shining.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Omnitheo wrote:Lot of assumptions being made, given that we have no idea if these girls ever watched violent movies or played games at all. We all have a capacity for violence. Evolutionarily we are not much different from what we were 20,000 years ago. Herd mentality, tribal instinct, peer pressure. All things that are more likely to have contributed to this attack than the fact one of them may have seen The Shining.

Fair point, but the OP's question was about people in general, not this specific case.
adionline

Post by adionline »

The root of the problem isn't graphic video games or tv. That's a scapegoat for those who fail to address that good parenting overwrites anything a child will see on TV or in video games. Stop attacking mediums that have nothing to do with these situations. Toning things down in the hopes that it will increase public safety is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, sorry. We already have ratings for that reason, the rest is up to parenting, and unfortunately, there will always be bad parents.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

the real issue is soft on crime laws, kill someone pull the i was drunk and my mommy and daddy were not nice to me as a child card and hope you get next to no time as they always almost do
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

adionline wrote:The root of the problem isn't graphic video games or tv. That's a scapegoat for those who fail to address that good parenting overwrites anything a child will see on TV or in video games. Stop attacking mediums that have nothing to do with these situations. Toning things down in the hopes that it will increase public safety is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, sorry. We already have ratings for that reason, the rest is up to parenting, and unfortunately, there will always be bad parents.

No one's attacking those mediums or saying those who produce violent content are responsible for violence in society, or that they must tone it down. And yes...poor parenting in the home, and a child gravitating to that kind of content, go hand in hand. But the content itself still plays a role.

Return to “Social Concerns”