Yappy Dogs

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Yappy Dogs

Post by Fancy »

dogs that live within city limits stuck in a apt/ condo with there owners gone to work all day, with no back yard to run around in ,is just mean, i would even consider it animal abuse
Why? If little Foo Foo sleeps all day, doesn't bark, and gets enough exercise and attention before and after work, what difference does it make if it doesn't have a big backyard to play in?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:
dogs that live within city limits stuck in a apt/ condo with there owners gone to work all day, with no back yard to run around in ,is just mean, i would even consider it animal abuse
Why? If little Foo Foo sleeps all day, doesn't bark, and gets enough exercise and attention before and after work, what difference does it make if it doesn't have a big backyard to play in?

i think its ok for a little foo foo-lol- type dogs to live in an apt, but large size dogs need there
space..
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Post by LivinginKelowna »

Yappy little kick dogs are a pain in the butt. There should be stiffer penalties for those that leave them out to disrupt the lives of the people around them.
Perhaps then I wouldn't have to listen to it. We had a neighbor that felt that they needed to leave their dog out at 6am everyday. So at 6:01 I would be awoken by a dog that wouldn't shut up.

Thanks alot for that

There is no doubt in my mind that there should be more bite to the bylaw officer's bark
gouged
Board Meister

Post by gouged »

well my dogs go outside sometimes at 5 am. They need their pee before I go to work. If they bark I bring them in just as anyone should. However in the summer they like to stay outside for a few hours to run and play and my smallest dog yaps non stop. The citronella collar did only work for a short time but the electric collar works all the time and the dog no longer barks outside. He does not however wear it in the house so now that is his favorite place to bark at everything that makes a noise in our yard. He knows when he has it on that is for sure but will still test to see if I turned it on or not. Little bugger that one is. My other dog no longer barks at all and never has to wear a collar anymore.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

A cull is the only sensible solution.

It is also the answer for those noisy boat owners.
Papa Bear
Fledgling

Post by Papa Bear »

If a bylaw officer comes out to see the dog of course the dog will start barking because the officer is a stranger. So the bylaw officer then has the word of the neighbour to go by who happens to be at home all day. The officer goes around to the other homes and asks them, but those neighbours hear the dog now and then but nothing they consider as an unreasonable amount of barking. The officer will likely tell the owner a complaint has been made and ask the owner to make some reasonable attempts at controlling the dog. Why should a bylaw officer take away an animal because one person complains?
Don't get me wrong, I get just as ticked at those owners who leave their dogs outside all day and night and agree they shouldn't have animals. I just find it absolutely absurd that people believe that dogs outside should not bark. Barking incessantly all day and night, absolutely I see a problem there but you know there are going to be those neighbours (and lets face it there are a lot of them in this city) who will freak out over a few woofs.
I think there are bigger problems to get riled up over than a dog doing what comes naturally, and I would rather put my money on having an officer coming around regularly to ensure the safety of the neighbourhood than counting the amount of times a dog barks.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

tunachick wrote:I live next door to a yappy dog. It has been outside howling, whining and yipping for going on two hours this afternoon. It drives me mad. One would think that it would get hoarse after a while (I know I would if I were to make that kind of racket for that length of time). At least it's the afternoon. It's worse when she leaves it outside at 6 a.m.

The dog is carrying on because it wants in the house and its owner is ignoring it.

I would *love* to see the dog removed and sent to a home where its master cares about it.

I've seen this dog running loose around the neighbourhood, almost causing an accident when it ran across the road. I've seen its fur so matted that it couldn't walk properly.

I've called bylaw control many times (after trying to deal with the dog's owner) and each time the officer goes to the neighbour's house and warns her. Again. No fine is ever levied. Last time the animal landed at the pound there was no charge for running at large, just an impound fee.

We not only need a barking control bylaw with teeth, we need bylaw control officers to follow through on their threats instead of the perpetual "If I have to come out here one more time blah blah blah."

I have a dog. He barks once in a while. When I hear him bark, I go see what the problem is and bring him inside if necessary. I don't leave him at it for hours on end. An occasional canine remark is fine, 20 minutes of yipping is not.

That's what bb guns are for!
Find something to give a damn about!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Substitute crying baby for yappin' dog - still think a bb gun is the answer?
Tarnation

Post by Tarnation »

Fancy wrote:Substitute crying baby for yappin' dog - still think a bb gun is the answer?

lol no not a bb gun...thats when you give them a lil scotch so they fall asleep :dyinglaughing:
All That I Can..... I Will.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ahhhh, there's a better idea - scotch, rum whatever for the little yappers!!
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Ugh. Anyone of you own a video camera??? Video the offending dog and give the bylaw the tape if you're worried about the he said/she said crap.

I video taped my neighbours dog. They leave it out overnight when they go camping or whatever. And it cries all night long. When they got home I asked if they left the dog out. The owner said a flat out NO. I then showed him this movie I made the night before...

Next time, you will get a visit from bylaw buddy...so keep your dog in.

Problem solved.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Good one, onestop...........I have a story , not about yappy dogs.....
One neighbor has a couple of big dogs that used to have free roam of the yard, the first one actually was allowed in the house at one time until the girlfriend moved in and brought her dog.
They were then outside pretty much all the time, allowed on the deck once in awhile, then baby came along, and not even allowed on the deck anymore. Now he has penned them in under neath his deck and they are both looking very sad and not happy about it. They get out almost daily and are so happy when they are running around like they always could before. Apparantly they have been penned in because he wants to get the yard back in shape for next summer so the baby can run around in the yard..........well, maybe if you had looked after it in the first place, it wouldn't need to be re done. Anyway, just my little bit of a rant, I feel sorry for these dogs and am very tempted to go over there and let them out every day I see them stuck in that pen....
Honda59
Fledgling

Post by Honda59 »

gouged wrote:I paid a fair chunk for the first collar but Canadian Tire sells one that is only $45.00 and it works pretty good.

I think they sold out as the cheapest is $100?
western_star
Übergod

Post by western_star »

I believe there is no bite to the Regional District of Central Okanagan's dog control bylaw officers bark either.

According to bylaw #366 a dog has to bark for 5 minutes twice within a 72 hour period. Many dogs only bark for a few minutes all day long.

I live in a subdivision of many dogs. 5 of my neighbours all have yappy dogs, some little and some big. There is one dog in particular that is really bad. It is tied to a chain on a run all day. Its a huge dog with huge bark. I tried talking to the owner but then had eggs thrown at my house. I hadn't even called dog control because I was friends with these people. Where I live I have to listen to barking most of the day due to not the dog, but my unruly neighbours. Its very frustratiing when you have a couple dog owners in the subdivision letting their dogs bark all day long at every car that goes by on the main road and every person that walks by on the road and every squirrel that makes a noise. We have many more dogs in our subdivision but you barely ever hear them bark... only when people come in the dogs own yard do these other dogs bark.

I couldn't catch this dog barking for more than 5 minutes at a time and twice in 72 hours. The bylaw supervisor at the Regional District of Central Okanagan asked me if I could find other neighbours to complain because the dog doesn't always bark for 5 minutes at a time and it barked for like 1-2 minutes at a time maybe 20 to 30 times a day or more. The other neighbours don't hear the dog as well as I do because I am on top of a hill right across from the dogs yard.

The Regional Districts website says you can stay anonymous. Well how can you stay anonymous asking your other neighbours if the dogs barking is bothering them?

The bylaw officer has been out but nothing has changed. The dogs bark comes right through my closed windows. It sometimes starts barking at 6am on a Sunday and barks till 10 pm and sometimes later at night .... and its everyday and all day long.

I'd like to shoot RDCO Board members who voted for inadequate bylaw #366. Technically different dogs could be barking every minute where I live because everyone has a dog including myself. If everyone's barked like this one there wouldn't be a moment of silence. There are 40 homes with almost as many dogs. If these unruly people would only watch Ceasar the dog whisperer and would pay some attention to their dog instead of tying it up all day and ignoring it, maybe it would be a happier dog and wouldn't need to bark at everything. They never take the dog for a walk because they can't control it and it drags them around like a puppet on a string.

The dog got loose one day and they couldn't catch it so they left it out overnight and it was hit by a car. They couldn't find their dog for 2 days until they finally heard it wimpering from across the street and found it unable to get up due to having a broken back leg. They didn't take it to the vet, but instead let the leg heal on its own. Luckily the dog is ok but I know another dog who started chewing its own leg off due to nerve damage I believe it was. It jumping out of the back of a truck or fell out one or the other, and that dog had to have its leg amputated when it wouldn't stop chewing its own leg off.

My neighbour is so unruly that she told me that her dog can bark any time and that we live in the country. Yeh right ... we live in a rural area subdivision out Westside Road on 1/2 acre lots. I wouldn't call this the country at all! These properties are not acreages and hectares.

What should happen is if even one person is complaining that the dog is barking intermittently all day long, is that a fine should be levied after the first warning. My neighbour was visited twice by dog control only to have to buy a dog tag and there was no fine levied dog control told me.

Apparently the noise bylaw does not pretain to dogs and that only the dog bylaw can be used the dog control supervisor told me, even though the noise bylaw mentions the word "animals". Apparently because there is a dog bylaw that the dog bylaw has to be used.

Here are the statistics in the Regional District of Central Okanagan Annual Reports

STATISTICS FROM RDCO 2007 ANNUAL REPORT (page 20)
DOGS LICENSED 9,833
DOG COMPLAINTS 2,403
DOGS IMPOUNDED 874
DOGS EUTHANIZED 113
DOG BYLAW VIOLATION TICKETS 338

STATISTICS FROM RDCO 2008 ANNUAL REPORT (page 8)
DOGS LICENSED 10,457
DOG COMPLAINTS 2,164
DOGS IMPOUNDED 886
DOGS EUTHANIZED 91
DOG BYLAW VIOLATION TICKETS 401

STATISTICS FROM RDCO 2009 ANNUAL REPORT (page 7)
DOGS LICENSED 10,487
DOG COMPLAINTS 1,993
DOGS IMPOUNDED 774
DOGS EUTHANIZED 108
DOG BYLAW VIOLATION TICKETS 401

Here is a website link with some information about barking dogs and the barking bylaws that don't seem to be working. Read the link that says RDCO's barking bylaw in a nutshell
A Nutshell Description of the Most Common Types of Barking Laws
http://www.okanaganlakebc.com/community ... bylaws.htm

There is also a Facebook page about barking dog bylaws that don't work. Hope you sign up as a member if you also have trouble with a barking dog and feel the barking bylaw is not working.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fancy wrote:Substitute crying baby for yappin' dog - still think a bb gun is the answer?

No, that'll just make them cry harder.

Return to “Social Concerns”